The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 10, 2007, 06:47 AM   #1
drhunta2

Camp stories

Last year after building and hunting out of a friends camp in the Adirondaks for a number of years, we were informed that due to circumstances out of our control we would no longer be able to hunt there. The loss hit me harder than I anticipated. We found land to hunt elsewhere, but what I really missed was the comraderie and the great stories and events that happened in and around camp.

So - thread question, what is your best hunting camp story? Can be humorous or serious.
Old October 10, 2007, 08:00 AM   #2
DesertDawg

As my sig denotes, I love the desert, and go out camping and shooting there as often as possible. I've been doing that for 35+ years. I've had as many as 10 shooting buddies, but that number has dwindled over the years.

Two separate camping incidents, both when I was in the desert with only one of my shooting buddies.

I'm more of a "rock & roll oldies" type, buy my friend loves his country/western music. Personally, I'd rather have nothing but peace and quiet when I'm in the desert, but my friend seems to "need" his C/W music.

The first time, while sitting around the campfire at about 9:00 p.m., I was starting to nod off...until my friend just had to have a jolt of his C/W music! He had a Garth Brooks CD playing, and had the volume almost all the way up! After a few minutes of that, I got up to fetch another cup of coffee....AND to turn the volume down. MUCH better!

As soon as I settled back down in my folding chair, old Garth Brooks had some singing accompaniment....no more than about 10' away from me! A pack of 6 or 7 coyotes were howling away, and darned near in tune with Brooks! When my friend realized what was going on, he grabbed his shotgun! "Don't shoot them!", I yelled! He cranked off a round in the air, and the singers vanished. I thought that it was rather odd to have the coyotes up that close, but I figured that they had been attracted by the C/W music. "Well, at least those wild dogs appreciate your 's'-kicking music!", I told him!

The next incident took place a couple of years later, but the circumstances were similar. Nice campfire blazing, a good cup of coffee in hand, and some other C/W singer howling over the boom box. My friend needed to make a "nature call", so he started walking toward the open-air #1 bush. There was just enough light from one of the lanterns for him to see what appeared to be a tree branch on the ground....but that tree branch was moving! My friend turned around and started running back toward the camp, yelling "Snake!". He ran over to where his shotgun was, and I got up out of my chair and grabbed a shovel and a flashlight.

Sure enough, it was a Mojave Green rattlesnake, about 3' long, and twisting/turning its way directly toward our camp! "Get back!", my friend yelled, as he started to level his shotgun on the snake. "Don't shoot it!", I yelled back. He lowered his shotgun.

I stepped closer to the snake, careful to stay a safe distance (they can only strike out about one-third of their entire length, and only after they've coiled. If they haven't coiled, their striking distance is only in inches).

"Would that look good on your cowboy hat?", I asked my friend. He didn't answer. I made it up closer to the snake and.....WHUCK! The shovel blade cut off the snakes head. I picked up the still-writhing body and tried to hand it to my friend. NOPE! He wouldn't touch it! HAHA! (The green snake skin DID look good on his cowboy hat!). I figured that the snake had felt the vibrations of the C/W music, and was getting closer to our camp to investigate.

The next time that I went out camping/shooting with that friend, he pulled out his boom box and cranked up some more C/W music! "Oh, I guess that you want some more country/western music fans to show up?", I asked him. After about 30 seconds, he shut off the boom box!

Funny thing, for I've played some good ol' rock & roll in the desert at night....but I guess that the critters just don't like Elvis!
Old October 10, 2007, 08:37 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'll keep the Garth Brooks bit in mind, next time I go coyote hunting!

, Art
Old October 10, 2007, 11:33 AM   #4
Scorch

I always thought C/W music sounded like a sick coyote. Sounds like I'm not the only one with that opinion.
Old October 10, 2007, 04:51 PM   #5
hunter33

OK well this isn't my story but my dad had told me about this they where sitting at camp getting all ready to go out hunting again and bamm! bamm! they turned around and saw a 3x3 buck on the ground his freind had shot it when it ran threw the camp talk about fast reactions...
Old October 10, 2007, 05:02 PM   #6
44 Deerslayer

These days my son in-law and I have our own hunting land with a nice cabin and a garage to keep our boats, snowmobiles and ATV's in, but, my fondest memories are from back in the 60's.

Back then I was living in North Dakota and I and several friends used to deer hunt out in the badlands in western ND. We just drove out in a car and slept with blankets around an open fire like in the cowboy movies. We cooked over the same fire and we all smelled like smoke after a couple of days. Hunting was good, friendship even better and those memories will always remain with me.
Old October 10, 2007, 05:17 PM   #7
spctim11

NOT my story but my Bosses

He said he was sitting in his deer stand and sees this guy walking through his area and the guy doesn't see him. So he keeps watching the guy who is about 150yds away, the guy leans his rifle against a tree and my boss thinks ok this guy is going to piss. Then the guy lays down on his back and he figures this guy is going to take a nap. He says next thing he knows this guy starts whacking off so he fires a shot and hit the tree about 10ft over this guys head. He says the guy grabbed his gun and ran off trying to pull his pants up with one hand and never looked back.

Could you imagine what that guy must have been thinking.
Old October 11, 2007, 07:45 AM   #8
ActivShootr

Quote:

Don't want to. :barf:
Old October 11, 2007, 08:50 AM   #9
FrontSight

Quote:
No, and I can't imagine what your boss was thinking either to shoot 10 feet over his head...that could easily have been a fatal shot if any one one of a million things went wrong. Then your boss would be in jail for life b/c he had to teach a lesson to a weirdo.
Old October 11, 2007, 11:33 AM   #10
Bottom Gun

Quote:
I stepped closer to the snake, careful to stay a safe distance (they can only strike out about one-third of their entire length, and only after they've coiled. If they haven't coiled, their striking distance is only in inches).
The ones I've seen can strike at least half their length and do NOT have to be coiled to do it.