The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2013, 10:47 AM   #1
DavidB2

all around lubricant

I would value advice on the best all around lubricant. I have used Remoil in the past; but have heard that it is over-rated. I am looking for Breakfree; but all local stores are out of it. How about Outers Gun Oil, Liquid Wrench, or 3 in 1 oil for lubricants and rust preventatives?
Old January 2, 2013, 11:10 AM   #2
jcwit

Have used drippings from synthetic oil "Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum" for years with complete satisfaction. Don't use it but another good all round lube is auto tranny fluid, AKA man made Sperm Whale oil.
Old January 2, 2013, 12:12 PM   #3
hooligan1

Dude try G-96 spray lube. It Cleans, Lubes and Protects, a can last me a long time, and it seems that I use it for everything.
Old January 2, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4
tkglazie

Breakfree works very well for me.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:43 PM   #5
Wyosmith

I make my own. I use a mix of 90% Mobile 1 full synthetic and 10% Automatic Transmission Fluid. It work super on everything I have.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyosmith
I make my own. I use a mix of 90% Mobile 1 full synthetic and 10% Automatic Transmission Fluid. It work super on everything I have.
Interesting. I've quit buying "gun oils" myself, using instead whatever is on the bench. I do use ATF and I do use Mobile 1, but I've never thought to mix them.

I've come to the conclusion that in the great lubrication industry, the gun guys probably represent less than 1% of the market. It simply doesn't make sense to make oils for us and most folks simply repackage another industrial lubricant. The secret is finding the lubricant you like. Between Mobile1, ATF, and white lithium grease (all purchased at the auto supply), my lube requirements are covered.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 2, 2013, 03:26 PM   #7
drail

For 30 years I have used nothing but mil-spec CLP and Dexron ATF. Most of the commercial CLPs have been watered down to meet EPA regs. G96 CLP still meets the mil-spec. Dexron ATF is really very hard to beat. It doesn't evaporate off and it won't dry into a gummy varnish over time and it dissolves carbon. And it is the cheapest thing out there. Try it. If your gun is going to freeze use just a very small amount of ATF or CLP. Greases tend to get real thick when frozen.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:31 PM   #8
wyop

I use something similar to Wyosmith. 2QT Mobile-1 synthetic, 1QT ATF (I use Mercon, because I have it in stock for my vehicles), then I mix in a small bottle of Hoppe's #9 and one small container of STP oil treatment as a "stickifier" to keep it from running off so easily.
Old January 3, 2013, 04:56 AM   #9
sourdough44

I bought a quart of a surplus military 'auto-matic weapons oil' from a surplus mail order company. The price was right & it's working great. I've been known to use some 'Royal Purple' 0-20w synthetic at times too.
Old January 3, 2013, 10:45 AM   #10
Pahoo

Just too many good choices

There are so many good lubes out there that it's easier to mention the ones that are not so good, like Rem oil. ....

Quote:
Dude try G-96 spray lube. It Cleans, Lubes and Protects, a can last me a long time, and it seems that I use it for everything.
This is one of my top choices as well as Gunk Motorcycle Chain oil that has a Moly base and will not crawl on the surface. Kind of depends on the application and service. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old January 3, 2013, 10:50 AM   #11
jmortimer

You will not beat the non-toxic CLPs, the original Ballistol, Frog Lube, or Gunzilla. I use all and can't pick a favorite.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:04 AM   #12
El Bango

A coupe years ago a mechanic friend said try automatic transmission fluid as a light lube.It works very well as it seems to meld with metal and unlike oils doesn't attract nearly as much dirt and dust.
Old January 3, 2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Clemson

Rem Oil is definitely NOT overrated. It is a very good product. I use both Rem Oil and Breakfree CLP in the gunsmithing shop. Rem Oil is easier to use on the trigger group of a shotgun, for instance, while CLP has better cleaning properties. Beware of ATF and/or Acetone around gun finishes or particularly around polymer guns. The ATF will definitely swell some otherwise impervious plastics (like the Nylon in a Glock) and ruin them. I have a Marlin Camp 9 in the safe right now that I am having to replace the entire trigger group on because some fellow used Ed's Red (which contains both Acetone and ATF) on it.

My stand on oil is that you should use gun oil on guns and automotive products on cars.

Bill Jacobs
Bolt&Barrel Gunsmithing, LLC
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old January 3, 2013, 02:48 PM   #14
mudlark

DB2

Give Ballistol a try. It's got the kicker of being environmentally friendly. That is the main reason I made the switch. I'm always looking for ways to chemical down a bit more. You will read that some find the smell horrible. That is nonsense. It has a "licoricy" sort of smell.

After cleaning say, my 1911, I put a couple drops on my fingers and just rub it into the entire piece. Any residue left on my hands gets rubbed into my belt or shoes or any other leather nearby. Excellent for wood stocks also.

I add a couple drops to a rag with (is it "Old English" - I'd have to look) lemon oil for wood around the house.

I've tried a bunch of cleaners and lubes over the decades, I don't think you could beat the stuff.

I am not affiliated in any way with the company.

Happy shootin dude.
Old January 5, 2013, 05:42 PM   #15
drail

Well, if Dexron will damage the polymer used by Glock then they sure picked the wrong material to build a gun from. That's about the dumbest idea I've heard in a long time. They HAD to know it was going to come into contact with all kinds of solvents. Or maybe they just didn't care. They could always blame it on limp wristing or defective ammo I suppose.
Old January 5, 2013, 06:13 PM   #16
tynman

I have had good results with Breakfree CLP to clean and store in between uses but if Im going to put it away for a few years or dont expect to use the gun for a long time I use Breakfree CO(collector long term storage protectant ) they say it protects up to 5 years.
Old January 5, 2013, 11:02 PM   #17
Clemson

I am a Glock Armorer and have recertified as an Armorer once. Both times the instructors from Glock warned about Automatic Transmission Fluid, particularly gumming up the small parts.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old January 5, 2013, 11:38 PM   #18
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The ATF will definitely swell some otherwise impervious plastics (like the Nylon in a Glock) and ruin them. I have a Marlin Camp 9 in the safe right now that I am having to replace the entire trigger group on because some fellow used Ed's Red (which contains both Acetone and ATF) on it.
I'd put my money on the acetone being the culprit.

ATF might be a bad idea for other reasons, but I have a hard time believing it will damage nylon. I can't find any support for the idea that nylon and ATF are a bad mix. To the contrary, I find several products which are in contact with ATF and use nylon.

http://www.edmunds.com/glossary/
Automatic transmission filter
A component in most automatic transmissions that is fitted over the fluid intake, usually in the pan, that prevents debris and other contaminants from circulating throughout the transmissions inner workings and potentially causing unnecessary wear or damage. Some transmissions use a reusable metal or nylon mesh-type screen in place of a disposable filter.
Quote:
Both times the instructors from Glock warned about Automatic Transmission Fluid, particularly gumming up the small parts.
This was omitted from the course I took. I'll ask this week when I recertify. Either way, gumming up small parts is hugely different from ruining the frame.
Old January 6, 2013, 05:09 PM   #19
HiBC

While I do believe lubrication is important,I do not get real excited about the brand of snake oil it happens to be.

One pretty darn good light oil is Texaco Regal R+O..seems like we used the 32 grade.My 30 years working in machine shops,that was the standard for "light spindle oil"

It is what went in the lathe headstock for the gears and bearings,it is what went in the oil cups on the lathes and mills where it called for spindle oil,It went in the Cinncinati Hydra Shift for hydraulic oil.It is used in steam turbine bearings,aircraft hydraulics,I think it is safe to say it is not "wrong oil"

You can search the specs on it.Also,if you have machine tools,check to see if it is a recomended grade for your machines.

Myself,I would not hesitate to use it in any light oil application.

For the regular guy.buying a small quantity might be difficult,but many machine shops have 5 gal buckets of it around.

We also used a Sunoco ways oil,I forget grade,on the sliding ways applications.I can think of some gun applications where a light film of ways oil might be good

These days I am prone to use Breakfree CLP as light lube,and either TetraGun grease or Castrol full synthetic blue grease,wiped thin,on places like slide ways and bolt cams.

Seems like I heard if you were camping at the Chosin Reservoir Vitalis hair oil was the preferred Garand lube.

On the acetone,it will melt acrylic(plexiglas),Lexan(polycarbonate),ABS,.

I'm sure it is bad for stock finish. Its also really bad for your liver.

Myself,I would use it cautiously and sparingly,not as a general fluid additive.

Last edited by HiBC; January 6, 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old January 7, 2013, 01:12 AM   #20
wyop

People should read some of the old gun manuals from before WWII. They spec'ed Sperm Whale Oil for the lube in some guns.

It worked well. ATF is the modern replacement for SWO.

R+O would be my next choice, followed by AW32
Old January 9, 2013, 02:34 AM   #21
bricz75

Lubricant, Semi-Fluid (LSA) here.

There's also "LAW" for arctic conditions.
Old January 9, 2013, 04:38 AM   #22
mumbo719

Long time user of Synthetic 10w30 motor oil, never had a lubrication issue with it.

Working with Ballistol now as a CLP. Jury is still out on it and the wife will not let it in the house. Ballistol has an overpowering smell of aniseed but seems to work well. So far I like it better than Breakfree CLP but not as much as Weapon Shield.
Old January 9, 2013, 08:38 PM   #23
JohnKSa
Staff

I asked the instructor today at the Glock Armorer's course about ATF. He stated that he wouldn't use it on his own guns but that he was unaware of any official information from Glock on the use of ATF on their firearms.
Quote:
Ballistol has an overpowering smell of aniseed but seems to work well.
It seems to do a decent job of lubrication, but it's not as good a cleaner as Breakfree CLP, and, based on the informal corrosion testing I've seen, it's not as good a corrosion protectant either.

I've been using it for a few months--got some just to try it out. I've used it for removing cosmoline and for some lubrication tasks. Other than the caveats above, it's a decent product if you don't mind the smell.
Old January 10, 2013, 12:17 AM   #24
jmortimer

^ Not sure how you get there? Ballistol is well above average in corrosion prevention. The exact opposite is true. Ballistol, Gunzilla, and Frog Lube are all real good. BTW, Ballistol smells just fine.

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/produ...-compared.html

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...orrosion2.html
Old January 10, 2013, 12:53 AM   #25
JohnKSa
Staff

It may be "well above average" as a corrosion protector but I didn't claim anything to the contrary. What I said was that it wasn't as good as BreakFree CLP as a corrosion protectant, and I based that opinion on the results of various informal tests I've looked at.

Here's a thread that links to several corrosion preventive tests.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508243

The tests referred to in your links are included in the thread, however, neither of those particular tests compare BF CLP to Ballistol. The 6mmBR test uses BF CLP but not Ballistol, and the muzzleloading test uses Ballistol but not BF CLP.
Quote:
BTW, Ballistol smells just fine.
I'm sure some folks think so, but I'm not one of them. Neither, apparently is mumbo719's wife, nor these persons:

"...Ballistol smells TERRRIBLE!"
"...I've noticed it does have a distinct - and now to me - unpleasant odor."
"...I quit using it because I can't stand the smell of it."
"I don't like the smell..."
"The smell is so bad and strong it actually upsets my stomach I mean instantly upon smelling it."
"...it does smell like dirty gym socks..."
"The smell of Ballistol almost makes me sick..."

You may be especially surprised to read the following person's opinion. He says, with regard to Ballistol's smell: "I think most would not like it."