The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2007, 08:29 PM   #1
bomccorkle

magnum vs std primers

Has anyone here ever used or do use a standard primer when the recipe calls for a magnum primer?????
I was wondering since I load both .308 and .300 WSM if I could just standardize with standard large rife primers in my mag.
Old December 18, 2007, 08:49 PM   #2
firewrench044

most loads calling for magnum primers need a magnum primer

I have been useing CCI # 34 large rifle primers in most of my loads
in a variety of calibers to cut down on inventory, they are military spec.
and are a magnum primer.
They work very well
Just remember to reduce amount of powder when loading max loads
Old December 19, 2007, 07:03 AM   #3
ShootingNut

Why Jack Around

To each his own, but what's wrong with simply following the powder recipe and use the recommended primer? So you stock 2 or 3, they all get used up depending on how much you shoot. Just me, can't see having to "fiddle around" with a powder adjustment just to use a non prescribed primer, but it's your call carry on.
Old December 19, 2007, 09:45 AM   #4
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Has anyone here ever used or do use a standard primer when the recipe calls for a magnum primer?
Not me. If the powder requires a magnum primer that's the one to use.

If you must standardize on one type of primer for some reason; economy, space (primers do take up a lot of square inches), safety (you don't want to risk mixing them up), then I would standardize on magnum LR primers. You can always download a powder that doesn't require a magnum primer, but you can't change the burn characteristics of a powder that does.
Old December 19, 2007, 06:40 PM   #5
crowbeaner

+1 on Mal's post. I use magnum primers with 1 rifle powder- H380 because the grains are bigger than most and the coating takes a good kick to burn cleanly. I use RP 7 1/2s in my .222 because they say "benchrest" on the box. Any of the IMR powders have ether in them and don't require a magnum primer; not even IMR 7828. If you use the slooow Hodgdon powders follow the manual's data. I haven't loaded any of the Alliant RL22 so I will defer to those that have. If I had to use just 1 large rifle primer it would be the CCI 250 and cut my charges back a grain or so. Yes, that is their "magnum" primer but I've loaded thousands of rounds with them and know what to expect from their performance. Some people swear by Federals, but that is what they use, not me. CB.
Old December 20, 2007, 08:31 AM   #6
under_dawg

In ABC's of Reloading 7th Edition it is explained on pg 44 that certain (slower burning hard to ignite) powders need a longer, hotter flame for uniform and complete burning. This is why a certain recipe call for a magnum primer. I am new to reloading so if I am mistaken please correct me. I read this book before I had a press and it is very informative. I would recommend it.
Old December 20, 2007, 01:02 PM   #7
stovepipe699

clear as mud

I have read the whole deal about using magnum primers for slower powders, or for spherical powders etc. I have more questions than answers about primers, but I have noticed that powder manufacturers usually use a normal primer for most loads and a magnum primer for magnum cartridges. Once I started working up a load using Magnum primers and H414 powder in my 30-06. The best group was 1.5 inches at 100 yards. Then I started over with normal primers, and my best group was .600 inch (5 shot)and was at the same amount of powder(53 gr) as my previous best group. Ever since then since then I follow the powder makers primer choice, or at least use the same type( LR or LRM) They probably did their research. Or maybe they just use whatever is handy. Regardless, I don't see the harm in trying a different primer as long as you start at the starting load. Then for a couple bucks buy 100 of the recommended primer and work up the load again. I'm curious what happens.
Rob
Old December 20, 2007, 08:21 PM   #8
WSM MAGNUM

Quote:
Has anyone here ever used or do use a standard primer when the recipe calls for a magnum primer?????
No, I never tried it. I would rather stick with magnum primers when the data says to do so. I have used magnum primers on calibers where standard primers are all that is needed.

If con is the opposite of pro, is Congress the opposite of progress?
Old December 22, 2007, 03:25 AM   #9
gschwertley

If the published data specifies a particular primer, it's best to stay with that recommendation. The major component manufacturers who publish data either derive it from their own research, or they hire H. P. White Laboratories to do it for them. In any case, they have a reason for recommending a particular primer.

Published data without primer recommendations (like the scabbed data that Lee publishes) leaves the handloader to flounder on his own without a primer recommendation.

Be aware that primers vary somewhat in the flame that they produce. Not too long ago, I recall reading a test that was done to compare primer performance. Unfortunately, I don't recall where I read it, but it may have been "Handloader" magazine. I mention this because depending upon the brand of primer, some brand's standard primer may burn nearly as hot as another brand's magnum primer.

I've loaded 7.5x55 Swiss with H414 before using standard primers without problems. H-414 is a ball propellant that comes with a recommendation for using a magnum primer. Not long ago, I loaded some with CCI 200 primers. When I ran out of H414, I decided to load some with W-760, very close in burn rate and also a ball powder. The 760 didn't like the standard primers; about 50% of the time I would get nano-second hang-fires. I didn't finish firing the rounds loaded with 760; I took them home and broke them down. The 414 grains are rounded,; the 760 grains are flattened, but I don't know if this has anything to do with it.

I don't have anything against using magnum LR primers and I have a supply of them. I do not use ball powders all that much; I use mostly stick powders. I do like H-414 however, and have used it successfully without magnum primers, so I got lulled into a feeling of complacency about using the proper primer with 760.

There's nothing like a session with the inertial bullet puller to bring you back into line. It's like writing on the blackboard at school, 50 times, "I will not use the wrong primers."
Old December 22, 2007, 12:55 PM   #10
steve4102

Quote:
what's wrong with simply following the powder recipe and use the recommended primer?
Because load data in NOT a recipe. It is only a guideline. To be a recipe you would have to have each and every component exactly the same as the ones used to develop said data. That would include weather, firearm and lot numbers. Totally impossible for load data to be treated as an absolute(recipe). The listed primer is not a "recommended primer", it is just listing the primer they used to develop their pressure data. Hodgdon doesn't even list the primer used in their on-line load data.
I have send dozens and dozens of emails to various powder and bullet manufactures requesting load data that was not published. In every case the data I received had no primer listed. Only the bullet weight, powder type and charge weight. Here is a prime example:

Steven,

Since we do not have any specific lab tested data on this caliber, we can provide you with some guideline, based on calculations and information from other sources.

(See notes 1.1 and 2.1below).

Caliber: .221 Fire Ball.

Barrel length: 24”

Powder: Ramshot – X-TERMINATOR.

Bullet weight: 40 grains.

Start load: 20.0grains (2950 – 3050 Ft/p/sec)

Maximum load: 22.0grains (3250 – 3350 Ft/p/sec).

Bullet weight: 45 grains.

Start load: 19.5 grains (2850 - 2950 Ft/p/sec)

Maximum load: 21.5 grains (3100 – 3200 Ft/p/sec).

Bullet weight: 50 grains.

Start load: 18.5 grains (2700 - 2800 Ft/p/sec)

Maximum load: 20.5 grains (2950 – 3050 Ft/p/sec).

Regards

Johan Loubser

Ballistician

Western/Accurate Powders

Tel: 1800 497 1007 or (406) 234 04 22

If you want to experiment with mag and standard primers, go ahead. Just remember any time you change a component, that includes rifle, you should start low and work back up.

Last edited by steve4102; December 22, 2007 at 12:58 PM. Reason: spelling