The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2000, 10:30 AM   #1
Bill Hebert

Are there any recommended loads for HS-7 for the 9mm or 38spl? I now have 3# and don't shoot enough 357 to burn 3# in a lifetime. Any help would be appreciated. Bill
Old June 3, 2000, 12:39 PM   #2
tstr

Hodgon HS-7 is designed for heavy magnum loads. You'll get really poor performance and irregular ignition using it in a lighter round. I wouldn't recommend doing it. I looked in all my manuals and could find only one listing using HS-7. It is in "Modern reloading" by Richard Lee. I have never tried this load. I don't know if it will work or if it's even accurate. I don't trust this manual as much as I do others. But, here it is, try it at your own risk.

.38 special
170 grain bullet (no distinction is made between lead and jacketed for this load.)
Starting 6.6
MAX 7.0
Min OAL 1.425
CUP 15600
Velocity 840fps

Old June 4, 2000, 04:43 PM   #3
Southla1
Member In Memoriam

Cuz, I guess you are just gonna have to buy a .357.

------------------
Carlyle Hebert
Old June 4, 2000, 07:02 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Three pounds of powder for a cartridge you don't shoot very often? You must react like my wife when she sees a "white sale" sign!

The obvious solution is to either 1. shoot a lot more; or 2. Trade it for something you need.

I prefer #1.

, Art

Old June 4, 2000, 10:40 PM   #5
Bill Hebert

OK Art - here's how I wound up with three #'s of a powder I don't shoot. I first wanted to buy a chrony. This friend says "I'll sell you mine if you buy "everything" for $120. I give him $120 - he gives me a prochrony complete), a Dillon range bag, a dillon pistol bag, a timer, 3K primers, 3# HS-7, 1# Very Good Nookie 3N37 (or whatever they call that brand of powder), a bunch of once fired and new 45 cal brass and 9X21 brass. So you see, it's like cuz said - now I have a reason to buy that Kimber Ultra Match I've been asking Santa for. Oh, buy the way, have any of you used and liked the Very Good Nookie powder and liked it?