The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2009, 08:25 PM   #1
zahnzieh

when will the corn come down?

We all got skunked 1st season deer shotgun here in Illinois. We did not see a single deer all 1st season. We've had tremendous amount of rain all summer/fall, corn has been very wet and slow in coming down. Second season is this weekend and corn mostly up!! Anybody else have our brand of luck?? Good luck this weekend!
Old November 30, 2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Al57

In our area, we had an unusual amount of corn still unpicked due to a wet ( late ) planting season . Fortunately, some of this " bad was offset with a new moon at the start of our firearm season ( Nov.14th. ) We saw far fewer deer than usual, but I did get an average for here buck the 2nd morning, a doe Thursday morning and my wife harvested a decent buck the 2nd Sat. Lots of acres of standing corn can sure be an issue. If the bucks there are in heavy rut and with the moon phase we have now ( full ), if all else fails, you may want to alter times of day spent on stand. I wish you the best.

Last edited by Al57; November 30, 2009 at 09:02 PM.
Old November 30, 2009, 09:07 PM   #3
treg

Time to go in after them! I've shot many deer stalking across the rows on breezy days.
Old December 3, 2009, 12:18 PM   #4
zahnzieh

Yeah, Here I am sitting at home first day second season deer shotgun in ILLinois waiting for a combine to take down the last 200 acres! Will try hunting this afternoon - pretty slow year. Wish all you shotgunners luck!