The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old July 16, 2014, 11:31 PM   #1
brandondallaire

What was this gun?

I foubd this at my grandfather house and i don have the barrel but i woyld likr to know what was this rifle

Old July 16, 2014, 11:46 PM   #2
Lucas McCain

Its not a rifle. Its a single shot break action shotgun . probably from a catalog/mail order store or some hardware chain store. You will need the barrel and fore arm to readily identify it.
Old July 17, 2014, 12:18 AM   #3
Scorch

Like LucasMcCain said, it's a shotgun, most likely a hardware store variety, but those were made by real gun companies by the time that one came into existence (1960s or 1970s by the look of the stamped checkering and the fact that it actually has a serial number).
Old July 17, 2014, 03:16 AM   #4
gyvel

The impressed checkering, the circular logo with the (somewhat indistinguishable) scene at the rear end of the checkering is very reminiscent of that found on Cooey .22 rifles made in Canada.

Cooey eventually became a Winchester company, and I'd be willing to bet that this is a Canadian Cooey version of the Winchester 37A shotgun.

I compared your receiver with pictures of a 37A and they appear to be identical.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 37A.jpg (57.2 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by gyvel; July 17, 2014 at 06:30 AM.
Old July 17, 2014, 11:32 AM   #5
SDC

Likely a Cooey 84 or 840.
Old July 17, 2014, 11:32 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Cooeys were never imported into the U.S., so I suspect the OP is in Canada. In all the publicity over Canadian gun ban laws in recent years, many owners became frightened of the government and chose to destroy their old guns, even those not affected by the laws or not banned; that may have been one of them.

Jim
Old July 17, 2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Definitely a Cooey Winchester. The horrid pressed in "checkering" positively identifies it, as does the oddly shaped hammer spur.

Normally, though, the Winchesters were marked on the right action flat above the trigger. That one isn't.

And the guess that brandon is Canadian appears to be right on the money. His IP comes back to somewhere in Canada. Good call, Jim.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 17, 2014, 03:11 PM   #8
brandondallaire

Thanks

thanks you all and yes, I'm Canadian, fomr Quebec more precisely
Old July 18, 2014, 05:43 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

With a name like that, and talking about Cooey, Québécois was not much of a reach.

Jim