The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 7, 2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Nubcakes

Scope problem and lube question!

I recently got myself one of Darrel Harris's M91/30 scope mounts and an NCstar pistol scope for my Ex-Dragoon Mosin. The mount works great. Its rock solid even after 100+ shots including some excessive Over Pressure Hand Loaded rounds.

The scope however is another problem. For some reason the vertical position nob doesn't seem to work right. I got the scope pretty much horizontally zeroed at 50 yards... But the vertical adjustment only allows you to move up.

NOTE: ALL shots taken were at 50 yards.

Right now it is dead on center horizontally but 4 feet high at 50 yards. It was dead center horizontally but 3 ft ~8 inches high before I started fiddling with the vertical adjustments. Once I realized how high it was, I did 2 full rotations DOWN on the scope and took 5 shots. They all landed in the same spot as before. At first I thought "maybe 2 full rotations is like a complete loop in adjustments?" So I did a quarter of a rotation down and shot another volley of 5. Again the 5 land in the same area as before.

At this point I thought the scope vertical position adjustment might be broke so I gave it a partial turn UP and shot another 5 rounds. The rounds landed significantly higher than before. When measured it was about 4 feet above where I had aimed--VVTF MATE? Thinking maybe I wasn't turning it all I carefully examined the nob when I turned it 5 full rotations down(1,800 degrees). I thought for sure that'd make the shots go too low. Just to be sure I kept the aim the same as before. I used a fresh SET of targets and shot 10 shots this time. All of them landed EXACTLY the same height as before - 4 feet above where I aimed.

Is it safe to say that the scope is busted?

Next, roughly how much oil/lube should you use when you oil your firearms? After fully cleaning the gun, I generally put a nice layer of ATF on all moving to the point where it begins to run off alittle, dab away drops that form and I'm done. I've been told that it is way too much by a friend. But this friend doesn't know much more than myself when it comes to firearms so I am kinda iffy if he's right or not.
Old November 7, 2009, 09:05 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

Quote:
nice layer of ATF
I wouldnt put that on one a my guns... doubt that its good for the nonmetal components... Just my op