The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 25, 2014, 12:56 AM   #26
Caboclo

Everyone talks about east, west and central TX, but they never mention the south. Corpus Christi is really nice, if you don't mind the occasional hurricane.
Old November 25, 2014, 01:08 AM   #27
Machineguntony

That's true. I forgot about south Texas.

1. They have good fishing.

2. They have good fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.

3. They have good deep sea fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.

4. They have good fishing off the beaches.

5. They have good fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, so long as there isn't a hurricane.

I think I got everything.

Old November 25, 2014, 05:11 AM   #28
Thunderkiss

I lived in Mexia, Texas when I was a kid. Sure do miss them days.
Old November 25, 2014, 11:26 AM   #29
Evan Thomas

Jobs and weather aren't really our bailiwick. Any more gun-related comments?
Old November 25, 2014, 11:28 PM   #30
tony pasley

I live in Western North Carolina, The mountains a great place to live jobs are here if you have the skills. The hiking camping fishing hunting trail riding. Have my own range in the front yard
Old November 26, 2014, 11:05 PM   #31
bamaranger

N. Alabama

We're in the Huntsville/Florence area. There is a strong "gun culture" here, the state has public ranges on the WMA's that only require the purchase of an affordable use permit annually. Lots of gun shops and pawn shops to browse, common rainy day, or summer practice of my and pals. There are local gun clubs and leagues to be found w/o much looking.

Hunting seasons are long and liberal......5 gobblers every spring in the month to month and a half bird season, .....

Deer bag can vary by region, in my area 3 antlered bucks in the two and a half month deer gun season. Count in bow and muzzleloader,and deer season runs 3 and a half months. The doe limit is two a DAY, that's right, a day, .....many fellas have killed a BUNCH of whitetails over the course of a lifetime.

There is not a lot of public land, though there are state WMA's. and some National Forest Land. These may or may not be heavily hunted....typically the scheduled gun hunts are pretty crowded. Most serious hunters get in a lease/club, for about the cost of a cheap rifle, you can have some private land to hunt.

Food plots and shooting houses abound.....likely 75% of all deer taken are shot from a shooting house window on a green field. Dog deer hunting still practiced...but the old custom is dying.

Snake, tick and skeeter country, but about all the South is.

Concealed carry permits issue from the Sheriff's Office for a minor fee and are broadly issued annually. Individual and firearms are run NCIC...pay the fee...good to go.
Old November 27, 2014, 10:54 AM   #32
Doyle

Quote:
Concealed carry permits issue from the Sheriff's Office for a minor fee and are broadly issued annually.
That is still one of the "odd ball" things in AL - hold over from the Jim Crow days so that local sheriffs could deliberatly withhold permits from certain people they wanted to excercise power over.

Wasn't there a bill in state legislature last year that would have changed that?
Old November 28, 2014, 01:16 PM   #33
littlephil

Tony, I like the personal range perk, that's how it is at my dad's place here. Though we don't really have a range exactly, but he's got a huge front yard with a hill behind it.

Bamaranger, those seasons and bag limits are crazy. Our deer gun season is a week long and we're only allowed one antlered deer the entire season. For al while we got an extra weekend for gun season, but our deer population is down significantly from previous years. I don't mind snakes much, up here where I grew up we got skeeters big enough to hit with a scattergun though. But I absolutely despise ticks, though in the summer we have an abundance of those too. I'll definitely check into Alabama.

Thanks for all the replies!