The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 18, 2009, 01:18 AM   #1
epr105

Looking to buy some hunting property

Hi to all,
I don't know if this is the right place for this so I thought I would put it out there and see what happens. I am looking for 10 to 50 acres for hunting in NY, PA or VA. Must not be landlocked and the property must have a build able location on it for a cabin. If any one knows of any properties in the areas that I have listed, at a reasonable price PM ME

I know it could be bigger but I have to be able to afford it. So I want to get the most I can for the lowest price
Old July 18, 2009, 11:15 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Check the magazine rack at a major-chain bookstore to see if there are any local-area "huntin'n'fishin" news magazines. These often have as much as a third of the newsprint with land for sale for that sort of purpose.

Might have some luck outstate, for such a news magazine. And, small-town realtors are good contacts.

You're gonna have to get out of the city and do some legwork...
Old July 18, 2009, 11:52 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

EPR, Too bad you limited your search area so tight.
Florida panhandle has tons of excellent hunting lands from "bottoms" to "ridge" and most have roadway access and a spot worthy of a hunting cabin. Land prices are officially kind of high compared to 10 years ago but it is a false high and farmers will come way off the asking.
Brent
Old July 18, 2009, 04:22 PM   #4
JagFarlane

There are websites that specialize in selling large lots of land to hunters/fishermen.
Your requirements are pretty tight, particularly looking for something not landlocked. Hunting land has been a huge realty boon as of late so some of the prices may come as a surprise to you.
Old July 18, 2009, 06:33 PM   #5
simonkenton

You could do well on a plot of land if you planted food crops.
Whitetail Institute and others sell clover and other plants designed to draw deer to your land, and to make them healthy and big.
With a 20 acre piece of land, and just two, two acre food plots you could really shoot some deer.
I am going to plant some clover next year, I know just one acre of it would really draw the deer.
Turkeys love that clover too.
Old July 19, 2009, 12:05 AM   #6
trooper3385

How much is land going for in that area per acre?
Old July 19, 2009, 08:00 PM   #7
oneounceload

hogdogs - remember, St. Joe paper is also selling off all their land, and they were/are the largest landholder in FL - they own so much of the peninsula and they have tracts up to 15,000 acres for sale......

OP - get some of the gun mags, especially ones geared towards hunting and look at the ads in the back - there are always realty ads - it's a place to start - that and use the internet. Determine what areas, see what's available, look at them from Google Earth to see what looks good
Old July 27, 2009, 05:40 PM   #8
CTccBoy

You may also want to consider looking for land in Southern Vermont, I see plenty of New Yorkers in the area where my land is located all the time. I've also seen quite a few "FOR SALE" signs along some of the major roads.

"...it doesn't mean you're at the top of a water tower with a 30-06 waiting for the balloon to go up..."
-Another very wise man
Old July 27, 2009, 09:47 PM   #9
johnwilliamson062

Make sure you see the actual piece of land you are going to buy, not a demo piece or something. I know a guy who owns a few acres of Florida swamp.
Old July 27, 2009, 10:09 PM   #10
oneounceload

come on now, it's only a swamp when it rains...........
Old July 28, 2009, 10:14 AM   #11
pilothunter

I'd suggest that you, perhaps broaden your search area to a place such as Maine. In Maine it's legal to hunt most any land that is unposted. This means by buying in rural Maine and building a cabin, you have a LOT of land to select from, for hunting.
Old July 29, 2009, 01:55 PM   #12
Bwana4

realestate searches

I've been looking for the same and found the United Country realestate website helpful, with the ability to search for what you need. I was using the Virginia websites. Try www.unitedcountry.com.
Old July 29, 2009, 03:04 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

50 acres will be great if you're hunting for peace and quiet. Maybe small game.
Old July 29, 2009, 06:06 PM   #14
epr105

I have been looking in various areas the reason I narrowed the scope is I live in the NYC area. I wanted to be close enough to get to the property if there was a problem. I also wanted to be able to go on weekends to look at any thing that might be interesting. The amount was just the numbers that I felt I could afford in the market at this time. I would love to have 500 acres but, I know that I don't have that type of money right now. I did look at other states and I have an open mind so any other ideas are always welcome.
Thanks,
EPR
Old July 29, 2009, 11:27 PM   #15
FrontSight

Check out Christmas & Associates for upstate NY
Old July 29, 2009, 11:39 PM   #16
Doodlebugger45

Have you thought about WEST Virginia? Yeah I know it's a little bit furrther from home for you. I just ask because we are doing some work there now and the locals claim the real estate values have really tanked lately. It's kind of purtty country if you're a hunter. I honestly don't know much about property values though, but the hillbillies we are talking to sure do like it there.
Old July 30, 2009, 06:00 AM   #17
longranger

I hunt W.Virginia every year and it is nice country.But the locals are the most thieving S.O.B's any where.Local fast food restaurants have to put the soda machines behind the counter because the locals will buy a cup and spend all day in the restaurant drinking soda.
Senator Bird is from there,squirrely folks live there