The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 10, 2001, 12:46 PM   #1
TCW

I'm trying to decide between an 870 police magnum or a mossy 590A1. The 590 comes w/ Ghost ring sights, but the 870 would require a purchase/installation of these sights ($200!). Reading this board has made me paranoid about buying anything other than an 870 (also I bought a Mossy 500 that was a lemon!).

My question: Is the GR sight worth that much money compared to rifle sights?

By the way, I've searched for the elusive 870 police models that have synthetic stock/GR sights...other than remmingtonle.com, they can't be found.

Thanks!
Old April 10, 2001, 01:24 PM   #2
Jeff, CA

First, by rifle sights, do you mean a barrel-mounted, open rear sight? I'll assume you do.

As to the title question: rifle sights are more than accurate enough. Even with its bead sight, my 590 shoots cloverleaf groups at 50 yards with slugs. Any form of front/rear combo sight will make sight alignment easier and more consistent than with a bead alone, and more importantly, it will be adjustable.

It sounds like you've already made the decision to go with the 870, and unless you really have some problem with open rear sights, the answer to your second question is no, not worth $200 more (IMO).

Old April 10, 2001, 02:21 PM   #3
Hard Ball

I don't think there is an easy answer. So much depends on the gun's barrel and choke and the design of the slug used that it is very difficult to predict.
Old April 10, 2001, 04:58 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A factor to consider is that young eyes work with all sights, but older eyes might not up to using open sights.

If your vision isn't impaired by age nor infirmity, open sights will work fine.

As to your question, no.