The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2013, 06:09 PM   #1
thumper61

New to reloading and have some questions

I just started to reload today. I have some questions. I am using 180g lead cast bullets made with a lee lead bullet cast

1) If the reload doesn't fit into the case gage but fits the barrel fine is it ok?

2) Double checking the the oal is good using the barrel as it is a little shorter than a similar style bullet factory load?

3)I measure the case of my reload and the edge (closest to bullet) is .419 and the middle then primer edge is .423 this sound right?

4) I used the lee factory crimp die and set it up to the factory (lee) directions, screw down until touches shell holder then half a turn more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (31.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg photo (1).JPG (33.3 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg photo (2).JPG (34.8 KB, 63 views)
Old March 26, 2013, 06:13 PM   #2
thumper61

photo- my reload is in the middle along with a factory load and another (not my) reloaded lead bullet

photo 1-factory bullet in barrel

photo 2- my reload in barrel

photo 3-my reload in case gage

Feels like there is a little bulge right where the end of the lead bullet is in the case but is measures a slight smaller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo (3).JPG (26.3 KB, 40 views)
Old March 28, 2013, 09:42 PM   #3
BusterValentine

First, what caliber?

Second, a caliper is an absolute must for measureing OAL, eyeballing it just won't cut it. They're $15 on Amazon. Just do it.

I have no reservations about telling you that I am not qualified to answer the rest of your questions, especially since you're casting your own bullets.
Old March 29, 2013, 04:46 AM   #4
primerman

If you are crimping and seating the bullet in one step try seating the bullet with no crimp and then go back and crimp in a second step. I am guessing that you are loading for the S&W 40 (.419) at the mouth of the case. I can tell you that when I load lead bullets (.401 diameter for bullet) my case mouth measurement is .423. If your die set has a roll crimp and you are seating and crimping in one step you may be over crimping and bulging your case.
Old April 1, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5
thumper61

.40 cal and I do have a caliper. I think that was the problem seating and crimping at same time then bulging the case. I adjusted it into two steps and now all is good.
Old April 1, 2013, 05:16 PM   #6
wncchester

1) If the reload doesn't fit into the case gage but fits the barrel fine is it ok?

Yes, you won't be firing anything out of the gage.

2) Double checking the the oal is good using the barrel as it is a little shorter than a similar style bullet factory load?

Yes. It's usually fine just to seat to the bullets crimping groove. Going deeper is only risky IF you're loading on the ragged edge of a KABOOM and you can easily avoid that by staying maybe a half grain below book max.

3)I measure the case of my reload and the edge (closest to bullet) is .419 and the middle then primer edge is .423 this sound right?

Just say it's not 'wrong'. Carbide sizers make the whole case the correct diameter for the mouth so pinched waists are common. How pinched will vary by the tolerances of both your specific die and cases. (That's part of why I still prefer my old steel sizers.)

4) I used the lee factory crimp die and set it up to the factory (lee) directions, screw down until touches shell holder then half a turn more.

Do your die adjusting according to what's happening to your reloads, not die instructions. What you need to do is "crimp" the mouths enough to totally remove the flare you did before seating so your loads will feed and chamber reliably and no more.