The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 22, 2010, 10:23 AM   #1
Hammer1

Double-barrel vs Pump for self-defense ?

Was looking at a gun store rack yesterday.

There were several self-defense shotguns in the $400 range on the rack.

There were some of the new Stoeger double-barrels with picatinny rails for lasers and such. They also have the barrels ported.

There were several pump actions including Mossberg and Brownings.

For home defense by the typical homeowner, what is the current stage of argument and debate between the short double-barrel shotgun and the pump action ?

Think Clint Smith has said a few positive words and had his picture made with a double-barrel shotgun lately.

Old August 22, 2010, 10:24 AM   #2
finz50

2 shots or 7.....I prefer the larger capacity of the pump...
Old August 22, 2010, 11:27 AM   #3
EdInk

Pump.
Old August 22, 2010, 11:27 AM   #4
sakeneko

We have a Mossberg 500 12-gauge pump-action shotgun, which holds six rounds total when fully loaded with a round in the chamber. Ours has five rounds loaded, because for safety we don't leave a round in the chamber. Besides, hearing somebody pump a shotgun is *intimidating*; maybe any future intruder will decide to leave without further argument. We added a Knoxx SpecOps stock so that I could shoot the thing without getting a bruise on my shoulder from the kick.

We might never need more than two rounds for self-defense, but then we might, so I prefer what we have to a double-barrel.
Old August 22, 2010, 11:46 AM   #5
redlevel42

I have both, as well as single-shots. I feel about as well armed for HD with one as the other. If I were taking doors with a swat team, I would want a pump or a semi. It isn't hard to fire a single-shot shotgun, break it open and reload, and be back on target in just a couple of seconds with a little practice. Best place to practice quick reloads with a double or ss is on a dove field with the birds really swirling in.
Old August 22, 2010, 01:40 PM   #6
ronto

Depends....

DB to keep it simple for the inexperienced...All others, it's the pump.
"We will do this: we will hang together, we will keep our organization, our arms, our discipline, our hatred of oppression, until one universal shout goes up from an admiring age that this Missouri Cavalry Division preferred exile to submission, death to dishonor".

General Joseph O. Shelby, CSA (1830-1897)

The only Confederate General who refused to surrender himself or his 1,000+ "Iron Brigade".
Old August 22, 2010, 01:56 PM   #7
knight0334

I prefer a SxS for all purposes. I also prefer a single shot over pumps, semi's, and O/U's. ..But hey, that's just me.

Get what you want, and what you feel comfortable and confident with no matter if it's a pump, semi, U/O, SxS, drilling, or single shot.
Old August 22, 2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Jimmy10mm

In one of my favorite classic gun books, John "Pondoro" Taylor's African Rifles and Cartridges, says that the double rifle is superior to the magazine rifle for dangerous game because of the speed with which you can get off a second shot if you need it.

OTOH, in the realm of SD or HD I would rather take my chances with the pump and the 7 rounds rather than the double with two. Reloading a double may be quick but you might have a fellow shooting at you while you're at it.
Old August 22, 2010, 02:36 PM   #9
noyes

African Rifles and Cartridges...double rifle

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...5959068799190#
Old August 22, 2010, 09:20 PM   #10
kozak6

I figure a double is probably "good enough", but that a pump is better.

Two main advantages to the double. It's going to be a lot shorter than a pump with the same barrel length, and it's going to be more reliable since it's basically two guns stuck together.

A faster second shot than a pump? I guess, but I'm not convinced it's that much faster as to actually make a difference. And the pump sure offers a faster third shot, and a fourth shot, and a fifth shot, and...

Also, John "Pondoro" Taylor likely was referring to bolt action rifles and not pump guns. Not many of us have a porter to hand us a second loaded gun if we need it either .

I don't know about the porting on the Stoegers, though. That seems like an unwanted feature for an SD firearm.
Old August 22, 2010, 09:32 PM   #11
dreamweaver

i have a stoeger s x s and a short barreled mossberg 500. either one is acceptable for HD. if i can't end the incident with 2 rounds of 00, i'll beat him to death with the gun.
(actually, there's a 45 on the nightstand just in case)
Old August 23, 2010, 02:47 AM   #12
Hoskins

Pump...more shot capacity.
Old August 23, 2010, 10:02 AM   #13
Fiv3

I prefer the pump for most all purposes if simply for safety. A hammerless DB is cocked by opening and closing the action. If one wants to keep on "safe" you must either store it unloaded (not slow to load but not the fastest either) or rely on the tang safety.

For me, packing a shotgun for wilderness defense. I want something that is easily brought into action, but not easily made "unsafe". My flavor of choice is a Remington 870 magnum with 4 in the tube and cruiser ready. Basically hold in the slide release, rack and go.

I certainly like the lightening quick follow up of a single trigger double offers though
Old August 23, 2010, 12:00 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Hammerless, auto select doubles are not as reliable as a pump IMHO...

So the only break barrel I would consider for HD is exposed hammer and one trigger per barrel.
Brent
Old August 23, 2010, 03:33 PM   #15
Fifth Wheel

Go with a pump. If a side-by-side was better for killing people, our troops would have used them throughout the 20th century. They didn't. They used pumps. A pump is fast. Almost as fast as a semi-auto.

Get an 870 Police Magnum with a factory +2 extension and a bead sight, and don't look back. Make sure the LOP is 13" or shorter.
Old August 23, 2010, 03:45 PM   #16
jmr40

A double has its advantages, but I'd go pump primarily for the price difference. Any double costing less than $1,000 is going to be of questionable quality and reliability. And not many people are willing to cut a $1,000 gun down.

You can get 3-4 quality pumps for that money.
Old August 23, 2010, 05:23 PM   #17
bamaranger

depends

A pump gun can be a struggle for the uninitiated. Tube mag, safety, slide release, and pump forearm. I have seen some folks who really should know better, struggle w/ a pump.

A double is much simpler. A single lever breaks the gun open. Insert ctgs, or confirm its loaded. Close, disengage safety, and shoot. Repeat. Hammers may be simpler still.

For a gun guy, a pump gun is great. For use by those less familiar, the double has a much more straightforward manual of arms.

For the same reason, I believe in DA revolvers as opposed to semis.
Old August 23, 2010, 06:15 PM   #18
shooter_from_show-me

Pump here....for the sake of shot capacity, realibility and the all familiar sound of racking the action.

NRA Life Member
Old August 23, 2010, 07:34 PM   #19
Horseless Trooper

Although I own a bunch of 12ga. pump shotguns and a couple of autos the gun that sits next to the bed is a 12ga. exposed hammer coachgun. The simple reason is that the only gun my wife will shoot is her NEF 410 youth model. She understands the exposed hammer, break action operating system and has ZERO interest in learning anthing else so this choise makes sense in our situation. She is not going to engage in room clearing or any other offensive operations but is going to fort up and wait for the cavalry. 2rounds of no4 buck in the gun and another 5 on the stock should handle this nicely.
Old August 23, 2010, 10:45 PM   #20
NeroBrandt

Usually, if your in a situation where you're having to shoot inside your home and it goes past 2 shots, you're in deep s&$t...
Old August 23, 2010, 11:02 PM   #21
Rampant_Colt

Those tacti-cool Stoegers with the picatinny rail sounded interesting until you mentioned barrel porting. For indoor use porting is not recommendedâ–¬especially on a short barrel shotgun

I have a Baikal SxS 12ga that's located in a go-to place in case of daytime shtf scenario. I keep it loaded with Aguila Mini-Slugs [.729 dia, 385gr pure lead wadcutter @ 1250 FPS]
I load shells in the chambers, pull back on both triggers, and close the action. Now there's no constant pressure on the springs, and you have cock the hammers back by opening the action. This is why exposed-hammer shotguns are good for long-term storage behind a door or in a barn or garage. There are no springs to wear out..
The method i use is a bit unwieldy without practice

Please watch this excellent Clint Smith defensive shotgun video clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

Last edited by Rampant_Colt; August 23, 2010 at 11:08 PM.
Old August 23, 2010, 11:25 PM   #22
Nnobby45

Quote:
Two main advantages to the double. It's going to be a lot shorter than a pump with the same barrel length, and it's going to be more reliable since it's basically two guns stuck together.
The typical 870 runs thru shotgun courses firing hundreds of rounds slick as a whistle with great regularity. From what I hear, most Mossbergs do, also.

I'm not real familiar with the intricate mechanism found in a good double, but I'm not convinced it's simpler than the proven pump shotgun design.

I always likes the concept of having a double or two stashed away as secondary guns---such as in a jewelry store environment, or similar situation, but I'll stick with the pump as my primary.

Middle of the night. You've got a problem. Some seem to have the insight to know that the double will do just fine, but I haven't got the predisposition to know when, where, and how many.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Old August 24, 2010, 06:02 AM   #23
redlevel42

I believe the spring issue is overstated. I have a Parker Bros 20 gauge SXS. It was manufactured in 1916. I have owned it since about 1960. It is in the safe now, with tension on the springs, and has lived like that since about 1960. It has never failed, and I fully expect it to work here in a few weeks when I break it out for the dove opener.
Old August 24, 2010, 06:53 AM   #24
WARRIOR I

While it would be foolhardy to bet your life on it, never discount the potential
deterrent effect of racking that slide on a cold dark night. I have personally
watched a prowler (intentions unknown) set a hundred yard dash record upon
hearing that sound.
Old August 24, 2010, 09:52 AM   #25
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

"... a struggle for the uninitiated...."

I fervently hope no one is depending on a firearm they do not know thoroughly for defending self and family.

As for the OP, pump, though a double is far from useless.