The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 11, 2012, 04:53 PM   #26
boostedtt91

The magazine was a new one, not a replacement. It must of just needed to be broken in as it really hasn't given me any problems lately, besides a occasional FTF. Yeah i have been using this gun QUITE heavy since i bought it. 22 ammo is so cheap and you go through it so quickly, its nothing to go through a 555 bulk pack in one range visit. It is still going strong, i dont really see any performance issues with the slide damage besides cosmetic, but ill eventually call Ruger and talk to them about it.

Since its not causing any major issues now, im gonna wait alittle bit till they get caught up on orders and what not. I dont want to have to wait forever to have them fix it or send a replacement since they are so far behind on everything. Its probably my favorite gun to shoot at the moment, ill probably have to buy another one since ill probably have this one worn out in no time.

Has anyone else with the slide damage issue called Ruger about it yet? I was curious to see what they actually said and what they did for you.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:18 AM   #27
SR22

Slide replaced

Just got my SR22 back from Ruger yesterday, they replaced the slide with a new one and replaced the slide hold down spring. Going to the range to test it today.
Turn around time is pretty fast, about 7 working days. They sent it back with 2nd day air.
Old May 12, 2012, 09:28 AM   #28
Marquezj16

@SR22 - is there any difference with the new slide compared to your old slide?
Old May 12, 2012, 09:20 PM   #29
SR22

New slide

I believe the new slide is identical to the old one. The technician who repaired the SR22 test shot 40 rounds and I shot 65 rounds today without any issues. I think my SR22 now shoots better than when it was new. The old slide lasted 1500 rounds and I will see how many rounds will this new slide last
Old May 12, 2012, 09:43 PM   #30
Brian48

I just added the SR22 to my Ruger family today. These guns just became MA compliant last week. My local shop just got them in today and I picked one up.

Can't wait to shoot it. Unfortunately, that won't be until next weekend hopefully.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:00 PM   #31
dirtrdgirl

Magizine Issue

I bought my SR22 at the end of Feb and probably have put 5000 rounds thru it. Only CCI and Winchester and never had a problem, not 1 issue until last weekend the spring in one of my mags somehow let go and was all jammed up at the bottom of the mag. We managed to fix it but every since that issue I've started having some fail to feeds. I stopped using the mag with the bad spring but am having the fail to feed with the other mag as well. It's not a consistant issue but it seems to be happening more & more. I usually put 400 to 900 rds thru it each time we go out to the desert. It always gets cleaned after each use. I absolutley LOVE this gun! It's fun and easy to shoot & maintain. I'm pretty accurate with it for close & long distance both. I just ordered two more mags for it & hoping that Ruger's mags for this gun are just a poor build/design. I appreciate all of your comments/reviews about this gun. I have a 9XD Springfield that I love just as much just a bit more expensive to shoot. My favorite targets are watermelons & apples, no garbage to clean up, it feeds the critters and they really blow apart when hit, especially with the 9.
Old May 13, 2012, 06:12 AM   #32
Brian48

It sounds like it was just the springs that worn. Was there other issues with the mag?
Old May 13, 2012, 11:58 AM   #33
Marquezj16

Brian - congrats on your new pistol. Like everyone has already siad. It is a fun gun to shoot and while it's not a target gun, its still plenty accurate.

dirtrdgirl - when does your failure to feed happen? It seems like most have the 2nd round not feed. And which ammo does it happen with? Mine does not like the Winchester. Also do you clean your mags? Mine seems to get a little dirty after a 500 round session.
Old May 15, 2012, 11:00 AM   #34
SR22

Just shot another 100 rounds today and the feeds are perfect. I think my pistol is now functioning as it should. I believe the problem with not feeding the 2nd round is the result of the slide hold down spring been not functioning properly.
Old May 16, 2012, 03:46 PM   #35
boostedtt91

i think ill give Ruger a call today about the slide wear and see what they'll do for me. It will keep me from shooting it for alittle bit if i have to send it in to them haha. The way im going im gonna hit the 10,000 round mark in under 3 months haha
Old May 17, 2012, 12:53 PM   #36
boostedtt91

well i called Ruger today to have my gun sent in for the slide damage. He then asked how many rounds i have put through it and when i told him how many he started to chuckle. He said wow thats a record, thats the most i have heard anyone putting through one yet. I thought that was pretty funny.
Old June 1, 2012, 03:17 PM   #37
boostedtt91

well i got my pistol back from Ruger yesterday and as i expected, their service is excellent!! They called me when they recieved the gun to let me know it made it there and they were starting to work on it.
They of course replaced the slide and components and to my great surprise they even put a new barrel on it for me as well!!! So after putting 10,000 rounds through it before it was sent to Ruger, i now have a pretty much brand new gun to start all over with again. Ruger you are the best!!!
Old June 3, 2012, 02:17 PM   #38
gascolator

Many thanks to everyone who posted insights here. I was having fits with my SR22; many rounds were getting stuck part-way up the ramp. After following some good advice, we're now about 95% reliable and getting better. At times I was probably as low as 75% with Blazers.

Here's the combination of things that seem to have worked:
  • Copper-plated ammo. She doesn't really care for Blazers, though in the spirit of changing one thing at a time, I'm going to re-try them having now discovered the expediency of the two following hints. FWIW, I found that MiniMags worked 100%, Blazers worked if alternated in the clip with MiniMags, and Federal Game-Shoks (710) are nearly as reliable though not nearly as expensive as Mini-Mags. I'm hoping that the Federal Champions will function as well, which will send the cost-per-shot almost to rock-bottom.
  • Load the magazine carefully, making as little use of the hold-down as possible. I think this was my biggest issue. I was just too casual, trying to save exerting force on the rounds with my right thumb.
  • When initially charging the firearm, don't just let the slide close itself, rack it forward (safely, of course). A number of times, the first round has stuck when depending entirely on the recoil spring. Each time, the subsequent round (classic #2) also FTL'd. On no occasion when I racked the slide home did #2 FTL. It must help things "settle in" after the magazine change.
  • Do a full take-down of the gun if it's new and get the factory lube out of there.

Today I shot 190 rounds of the Federal with, I think, three FTLs. Only 1 following changing to the third procedure above.

Now some may say "aha, weak recoil spring." I don't believe that's the case, since Mini-Mags go 100%. The fact is that a 22 pistol CAN'T have a really stiff, powerful recoil spring, because it has to be soft enough for a 22 to operate it. And it takes about the same force to move a .22 shell out of the magazine and into the chamber as more powerful calibers. I will say that when I did a take-down, it appeared as though the recoil spring was unseated from the little shoulder on the guide-rod. Maybe that made a difference, maybe not.

BTW the Game-Shoks make a really cool muzzle-flash in the SR22, especially indoors. Great big ball of white flame with occasional green streaks. Great for the entertainment-value.
Old October 19, 2012, 05:33 PM   #39
ak-o-rama

sr-22

i just bought a sr-22 - clips come tight and needed to be widened to shoot right, other than that it is accurate, and the ergonomics are great. i'm happy with it.
Old October 20, 2012, 12:55 AM   #40
factoryrat

I got mine out tonight and looked to see if I had any slide wear. I guess I am lucky. I have had zero malfunctions of any type, and only have a tiny nick at the rear of the cutout from the slide stop. I have shot the snot out of it and everything is all nice and shiny black still. I will keep an eye out for the slide stop spring failure. I guess catching something like that is another reason to clean, or at least inspect your firearm regularly. My only complaint with the gun is the trigger. I might be a bit spoiled from my other handguns. I had hoped it would smooth out with use, but it has not done so yet. I would be all ears if anyone had a suggestion on how to get the action smoothed out. Overall, I am pleased with it. What is more important; my son and daughter enjoy shooting it.
Old November 5, 2012, 08:45 PM   #41
Rescue913

has anyone had the take down lever break on there SR22?
Old November 5, 2012, 11:20 PM   #42
weblance

Quote:
The newest slides have a steel pin in the cut-out that the slide stop catches into.
My SR22P was one of the first ones made. It has the steel pin.
Old November 5, 2012, 11:38 PM   #43
chris in va

I don't remember the last time my Kadet jammed. Jus' sayin.
Old November 6, 2012, 03:33 PM   #44
Rescue913

weblance, Have you had any issues with your take down lever? I am hearing reports of them breaking and i am some what concerned this could be a safty issue.
Old November 7, 2012, 12:21 AM   #45
weblance

Quote:
weblance, Have you had any issues with your take down lever? I am hearing reports of them breaking and i am some what concerned this could be a safety issue.
I replaced my takedown lever after close to 3000 rounds with the replacement lever from Twin Tactical. I wasnt having any problems, but was worried about failure. The original lever looks fine, but I havent seen one that failed, and dont know if there is any visual indication of damage before they fail. My SR22P has the early "SR22 PISTOL" graphic on the slide, and supposedly, when the takedown lever fails, the slide launches off the front of the gun. I didnt want this to happen, didnt want to launch my slide into the gravel at my range, so I got the replacement lever. Its $20 and I feel this is cheap insurance. Plus I didnt want any down time, if I had to send my pistol back to Ruger.
Old December 11, 2012, 12:36 PM   #46
marmarcopeland

New to shooting...

My brother bought me my first rifle last month. It's a Ruger 10/22 carbine. I love it. I'm wanting to buy a pistol and I've been looking at the SR22. After reading the reviews it seems everyone loves it. Would you recommend it for someone with such little experience?
Old December 11, 2012, 12:57 PM   #47
anothernewb

My SR22 developed the same slide wear within the first 100 rounds. It's got about 1500 down the pipe so far and thankfully has been extremely reliable. every once in awhile I get a 2nd round FTF, but only with fed ammo. blazer, remmington BG and winchester have all fed flawlessly.

I'm thinking about contacting Ruger about the slide issue though.

a bit off topic but how does one contact them about a gun issue. Is it a simple as putting in a call and going from there?
Old December 11, 2012, 01:08 PM   #48
chris in va

Yup, just give Ruger CS a call.
Old January 20, 2013, 11:55 AM   #49
MWorrell

I picked up my SR22 yesterday and am heading to the range with it tomorrow.

I saw a post on the Ruger forum where someone removed the slide and pushed the slide stop up, and very slightly rounded the back edge of the stop with a tiny file to remove any sharp edge that might scrape up the slide.

Have any of you experienced SR22 owners tried this? Seems like a very simple fix if it actually works.
Old January 20, 2013, 12:13 PM   #50
AndyWest

Insane market aside, what chance would you say I stand trading my Taurus 94 plus Walther/Umarex P22 toward an SR22?

Tags
ruger 22lr , ruger sr22 , sr22