The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 21, 2005, 04:34 PM   #1
USP45usp

HK Night Sights

I had to replace my "made in china" belt with a real gun belt and was on the website when I spotted those nice words that every gun owner loves to see (hear).... ON SALE!

They had the Trijin(sp) night sights for the USP and since I was thinking of getting some anyway sooner or later, the they were ON SALE after all , I order a set.

The question is, how hard is it to remove the old sights and install the night sights? Is this something that I should just bite the bullet on and have a smithy do it or is it possible for a non-smithy to do without too much problem?

Thanks in Advance.

Wayne
Old September 21, 2005, 09:36 PM   #2
pyrotechnic

I believe you can do it yourself with a set of brass punches and a hammer. I tried to do it myself, but halfway through I decided that I would let my friend (a gunsmith) do it. I was a little uncomfortable with how hard I was nailing the punch with my hammer.

Regards,
Maarten
Old September 21, 2005, 10:22 PM   #3
USP45usp

Maarten,

That's what I've been thinking of. I have a complete set of brass punches and a few other tools... but I really don't want to mess up the sights (new) or sights (old).

Yet I'm also thinking of the old adage of "you own it, you need to learn how to work on it" (specifically my dad when I got a car and it needed some work).

Yet I had no problem with repairing or replacing a (IIRC) $10 to $20 dollar part (speedo cable part in the trans) but a $89.00 part(s) .

Yet, I still feel that if I own them (the guns) then I need to know how to fix them and to put things on them that I buy.

Wayne
Old September 27, 2005, 11:00 PM   #4
mikikanazawa

Those H&K sights are RIDICULOUSLY tight. Personally I wouldn't try to remove/replace them with punches. (Actually I have tried it, so I'm suggesting that you don't, LOL.)

I bought a supposedly genuine H&K sight pusher at a gun show, it was like $45. Even with the pusher (which fit the H&K slide perfectly), it required some real sack to get the old sights out and the new sights in.
Old October 2, 2005, 08:39 PM   #5
Harry Bonar

HK night sights

Dear Shooter:
My input.
Evidentaly you are using this pistol for either law enforcement or protection in lo light situations.
In a gunfight, in my experience, you DO NOT want to be trying to line up Tritium dots in lo-light! If it was me, I would contact Wayne Novak for a rear "ghost ring" (no, it's not a full ring - just half) and a Tritium front with a white ring for day use.
Front and rear Tritium will cost you seconds to line up in a real gunfight - and that will cost you your life!
Be careful out there! Harry b.