The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 11, 2002, 12:12 PM   #1
Coop de Ville

New 870, woohoo!

Just picked up a new 870PM (#4888).

Stocks, at first I wasn't sure about the wood, but after handling and seeing them, I think I really like the contrast.
LOP is too long (I'm 5'7")

Action is stiff and so is the trigger

Oh yeah, cheeseball follower

So, what should I do before testing? What's the best way to strip down the residue before relubing? It's been in the box awhile since the green from the pamphlet is all over the receiver... I gues I can scrub it out.

Best, -Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner
Old January 11, 2002, 02:06 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Congrats, and here's what I'd do, Coop.

Remove the bbl, action bars/associated parts, and drop the trigger group. Get as much of the grease and gunk off the inside as you can. Lube with any of the good lubes, CLP and SLIP 2000 come to mind.

Wipe on,wipe off so there's just a little lube on the moving parts. Reassemble and test.

Doing the trigger on an 870 isn't rocket science, but it should be done by a decent smith. After that, either use the slicking procedure I wrote about a while back, or run a case a week through it,or both, until it meets your approval.

As for the Tupperware follower, I've still heard zero reports about it failing, and I probably would.
Old January 11, 2002, 08:59 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Check Remington's Law Enforcement website at:
www.remingtonle.com
They state that police guns are sprayed with cosmoline at the factory, since they don't know under what conditions or amount of time the gun will be stored. They recommend: "Disassemble the gun, spray on a dripping coat of RemOil and go take a coffee break. After your break, wipe it down to remove the excess, and apply lube".

I did this to my gun, and got a fair amount of cosmoline off, just as they said.
Old January 11, 2002, 10:32 PM   #4
Kingcreek

some of that crud can become just like varnish over time. I use Kroil spray penetrating solvent but don't leave it on blueing. For that really hard krap I use carb cleaner. then lube
Old January 11, 2002, 11:40 PM   #5
Guyon

If you're worried about the follower, get one from Choate. High vis orange and solid piece of polymer. No worries about cracking.