The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 15, 2013, 03:06 AM   #1
Secretariat

Hogue Grips

For those of you who have tried both the Hogue Rubber grips grips both in the non -finger and finger versions,which do you personally like more?What are the advantages of each over the other?And why?Is it true that the finger grips version helps more with recoil?And lastly,now,on the Hogue Extreme G 10 and Extreme Aluminum grips,which series is slimmer between the two of them?
Thanks in advance.
Old September 15, 2013, 07:45 AM   #2
themalicious0ne

I have not tried their rubber grips but I do have a set of G10's and Aluminum for the same gun. The G10's are slimmer. The G10's feel slimmer than my stock grips and the aluminum grips feel very fat. This is just my opinion but they both feel very different from stock grips, more so the aluminum ones. This is on my CZ75 for clarification.
Old September 15, 2013, 09:06 PM   #3
saitek

grip's

i like the rubber model with finger grove's they really help control recoil and the feel on my 1911 compact .45 acp
Old September 15, 2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Louca

I use the Houge HANDALL rubber grip for my HK 45C. The original polymer frame was just too slippery when I went to grasp the gun and as I held it. Now with it on there it is very easy to hold on to and does not slip around in my hand. I have nothing else to compare it to except the original frame.

Lou
Old September 15, 2013, 11:06 PM   #5
FoghornLeghorn

I've owned both. The grips with the fingergrooves provide much steadier control. I've used them on both semiautos and revolvers.

They look better, too.
Old September 16, 2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Rifleman1776

When I first got my Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. I went through about six different kinds of grips (expensive) before settling on Pachymar Presentations. I believe advice from others is useless in this search. Every gun is different and everyones hands and likes and dislikes are different.
Some rubber grips were too 'sticky' and painful with heavy magnum loads. Some were to slick. The fingered grips did not put the finger holes where my fingers wanted to go, etc.
You need to try to find what works best for you.
Old September 16, 2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Pahoo

Your call !!!

Quote:
The fingered grips did not put the finger holes where my fingers wanted to go, etc. You need to try to find what works best for you.
The more involved a grip is, the harder it is to grasp and control under certain situations. On the bench/range, I prefer the finger groove grips as well as the thumb-rest. That is because I take the time to get into it. When hunting, I prefer the non-grooved grips. I don't have to worry about finding a home for my fingers. ....

Another example is thumbhole stocks. I really like them, on the bench but when hunting, not so much, especially with having to thread the hole with gloves. Again, as Rifleman has stated, You need to try to find what works best for you. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 16, 2013, 05:07 PM   #8
PawPaw

I had to take the revolver out of my pocket to make sure, but it's a Hogue Monogrip, with the finger-grooves. I've been carrying it since the late '80s on a Model 38 airweight. What I like about that grip is that it provides a place for my little finger, the grip is "tacky" and provides a steady hold. I use this revolver as an off-duty pocket revolver and as a belt revolver when I'm in a plainclothes assignment.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old September 23, 2013, 07:25 PM   #9
Kirby8604

Regarding finger grooves vs. not, I prefer the finger grooves. It provides a consistent grip and feels more "connected" in hand. I think they help pretty similarly with recoil, but prefer the finger groove type.
Old September 24, 2013, 08:06 AM   #10
spacecoast

I use Hogue finger groove grips on all my frequently-used revolvers. They fit my hands perfectly and provide the best control and recoil management.
Old September 24, 2013, 10:59 PM   #11
rmocarsky

I have rubber finger groove Hogues on my:

1911A1 . . . makes it feel glued in my hand and rock solid on off-hand shots;

Ruger Super Blackhawk 7-1/2" with ultra-dot; much better recovering from recoil than the stock wood grips; it does not move in the hand (same as the 1911A1).

and Paul Ferro wood wraparounds on my S&W 66 4" bbl; looks great, but I haven't fired it with any other grips, so I cannot compare, but really looks beautiful.

Rmocarsky

Last edited by rmocarsky; September 24, 2013 at 11:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old September 28, 2013, 11:14 AM   #12
snapshot762

I really like the rubber finger groove Hogue grips, i have a pair on a Colt Anaconda that really helps with recoil better than the factory grips. Also have a set on my CZ SP-01.

They work great for me, YMMV.
Old September 28, 2013, 08:05 PM   #13
mxsailor803

Prefer the finger grips if I'm focused on the most accuracy. My carry gun on the other hand, doesn't have them because it feel right whenever I would work on my draw.
Old September 29, 2013, 04:13 PM   #14
M1ke10191

I've used them on a Beretta 92 and got the grooved ones simply because I wanted to lighten up the effect of the front stippling which irritated my hand a little. Haven't used the fingerless ones but I can say that the grooved ones were nice.