The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 7, 2012, 09:00 PM   #1
PaultheWall

At the Range w/My Son

Got out to the range with my 10 year old son. He was shooting my Pietta Colt Navy. All shots seated from 25 yards using 14 grains of Goex 3F and .376 round ball -- inside my homemade cartridges.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulthewall/7734583262/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulthewall/7734581764/

http://www.oxhilltours.com
Old August 7, 2012, 09:41 PM   #2
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Way to go PaultheWall. I commend you for your effort Sir. Nice look'in son you have there too. As far as the target goes. The kid did all right at that distance. That target is something to be proud of. No doubt about it.
Old August 13, 2012, 08:58 PM   #3
oldmaster111

I've been shooting with my son since he was about ten. He's now 34 and we still have a good old time going out shooting. Who would have thought that gun powder was good for bonding father and son.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:23 PM   #4
Red Wiggler

Your son did well. Take him often, do you shoot blackpowder rifles also?
Old August 13, 2012, 10:09 PM   #5
BPRenegade

I too must congradulate you for your success in setting the hook in a new shooter. Good luck and god bless you and your son-

-BPRenegade
Old August 15, 2012, 08:34 AM   #6
Doc Hoy

Paul,

Good on ya.

I know I will be preaching to the choir and please don't take offense if I am being redundant.

I encourage you to do two things with your son along with the shooting experience.

First of all and perhaps the more important, is the uniqueness of the American citizen as the holder of rights to keep and bear arms. We have it right, the rest of the world is wrong.

Second of all, shooting is like owning a sailboat. You have to spend about ten hours maintaining the boat for every hour that you sail it. So you have to develop an intense affection for the maintenance activities. Same thing with shooting. Cleaning the firearm is fun. Casting the slugs is fun. Making the lube is fun. Everything is fun!
Old August 15, 2012, 08:42 AM   #7
Doc Hoy

Paul,

Good on ya.

I know I will be preaching to the choir and please don't take offense if I am being redundant.

I encourage you to do two things with your son along with the shooting experience.

First of all and perhaps the more important, is the uniqueness of the American citizen as the holder of rights to keep and bear arms. We have it right, the rest of the world is wrong.

Second of all, shooting is like owning a sailboat. You have to spend about ten hours maintaining the boat for every hour that you sail it. So you have to develop an intense affection for the maintenance activities. Same thing with shooting. Cleaning the firearm is fun. Casting the slugs is fun. Making the lube is fun. Everything is fun!
Old August 15, 2012, 06:38 PM   #8
North East Redneck

Very Cool!

Your son is lucky to have a father that spends time with him and teaches him useful skills. That picture of your boy is priceless. Kid looks truly happy.
Me and my old man have recently reconnected, even got him shooting BP guns.