The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 11, 2009, 10:14 PM   #1
42769vette

243 prohunter

hello all ive found my new hobbie and its reloading ive been reading and studying for 6 mo and am down to picking components im new here but have searched for hours and haven't found the answer to my question so im about to bug you for my first of probably many dumb questions

i will be shooting a t/c prohunter 243 28 inch barrel and 1-10 twist my main goal is long range accracy i doubt ill ever kill anything with the gun i want to shoot up to 5-600 yds

does anyone have any sugestions loading for this rifle all the info ive found is for 24 and 26 inch barrels i was leaning toward barnes bullets but just because someone told me there the best not from personal experence and i was thinking of starting with h414 powder

with a 1-10 twist barrel can i shoot a 100-105gr bullet well (by well i mean .5 groups at 100) i would like to shoot a heaver bullet but if i need to go down to 80 or ? i will

thanks again for the help folks i really appriciate it since ive never even seen someone reload and know noone who does to ask for advise

im also getting ready to buy a starter kit any sugestions
Old January 12, 2009, 11:50 AM   #2
Dugga Boy

As far as barrel length, I dont think I would pay too much attention to it in a 243. You may pick a little up. I wouldnt go any heavier than 105 looking at some bullet manufactures recomendations. With the yardage you are looking at, 95 or 100 grains may be the most you want to go in a 1 in 10.

A Barnes bullet needs about 2000 fps to open up reliably. You may get away with 1800 with a shoulder shot. Per Barnes manual you will be running about 2000' @ 500 yards and 1800 @ 600 Yards, give or take. For long range shooting or hunting, you may want to consider a Berger bullet. They have higher BC than Barnes and are known to be very accurate. Also, they cost near half the money. May be a little easier to develop your first load with the Bergers or Sierras. Some rifles wont shoot the Barnes real well. Mine wont, or I should say as of yet it wont. Might save you some head scratching. Just my opinion. I started out with the Barnes. If you do chose Begers, email them and they will provide you with the load data you want. Wildcat is another that comes to mind. http://wildcatbullets.homestead.com/BulletTheory.html

Not sure if you know about OCW. If not, you may find it helpful.
http://www.clik.to/optimalchargeweight

I would say neck size or and use a beam scale. Some people swear by a digital. I loved mine when it lasted for the first six months. But I am now on my third scale, a RCBS 1010 and wouldnt trade it for anything.

Hope it helps a little.
Old January 12, 2009, 11:57 AM   #3
Ruger4570

I would suggest using Sierra bullets for your basic load development. I have found Sierra bullets to be as accurate as any and a lot cheaper. Good luck and enjoy the pastime..
Old January 12, 2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I guess I'd try bullets in the 90- to 105-grain range, first, just to see.

I have a 1:10 twist in my old Sako Forester, and it's happy with bullets in the 55- to 85-grain range. I get 1/2 to 5/8 MOA fairly regularly if I do my part. But heavier bullets just don't group as tightly. I did NO good with 100-grain Noslers; dunno why, really.

I've used 3031 in the majority of my loading. H414 would probably be better with the heavier bullets.

Through the years, my tightest groups have been with the Sierra 85-grain HPBT and the 70-grain Hornady Spire Point. Max loads of 3031.