The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 3, 2014, 12:01 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

is there any real definable difference between Leupold VX 1, 2, &3's ???

I see the price goes up, & different scopes have varying features & reticles, but are there set differences in lens quality, adjustment hardware quality or something definable between the 1's, 2's, & 3's ???
Old February 3, 2014, 02:50 PM   #2
SSA

Lens coatings, fast focus or lockable eyepiece, twin or single springs, zoom ratio, hardened adjustment pieces.
You'd have to pick through their catalog or website to sort it all out.
Old February 3, 2014, 04:49 PM   #3
JimDandy

Yeah, the various levels have various improvements. Whether you or I can see/shoot well enough to take advantage would be another question.
Old February 5, 2014, 01:22 PM   #4
jmr40

It also depends on which generation you are looking at. An older VX-III would not be of the same quality as a current production VX-1. There were quite a few improvements when Leupold moved away from roman numerals.

They also made some major changes to the entire lineup starting in 2012, but with no differences in names. The older VX-1's were friction adjustable, new models are click adjustable. In a nutshell all VX-1's made in the last 2 years are really pre-2012 model VX-2's. Current VX-2's are really pre-2012 VX-3's as far as lenses and technology is concerned.

This may help explain some of the differences.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/

Where you draw the line is personal preference. I own some expensive Zeiss scopes, but could be perfectly content with a current production $300 VX-2 as as much scope as I'll ever need. The VX-1's ain't bad, but the VX-2's are a little better and not that much more expensive. I have some older VX-3's that aren't as good as my new VX-2. I have no doubt the current VX-3's are even better, but not enough for me to justify the money. I know some aren't happy with anything less than a $1,000 scope and others think it is foolish to spend over $150. But that is where I'm happy.
Old February 5, 2014, 02:13 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the reply & link...