The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 22, 2013, 02:59 PM   #26
dgludwig

If you can do without adjustable sights, a Smith Model 58 is an interesting, "police configured" revolver. It reminds me of a Model 10 on steroids. I've always found the concept intriguing.
Old February 23, 2013, 01:57 PM   #27
Single Six

24 years [and counting] of full time uniformed LE here. I recommend the GP-100. I carry one off duty; it's a stainless 4" model, backed up with 2 speedloaders, and all of it disappears with an IWB rig and an un-tucked shirt. In our profession, which is currently dominated by Austrian plastic, I'm something of an anomaly...but I don't feel the least bit under-gunned. As Jeff Cooper said, "One is only out-gunned if one misses."
Old February 24, 2013, 02:21 AM   #28
ClydeFrog

LEOSA(2010 update), weapons...

From your picks, I'd select a new in box; Glock 23 .40 or maybe a new Glock 32 .357sig if it could be PODA(private owned, dept approved). I prefer the potent .357sig. It's popular with many sworn LE agencies & issued to LE officers in the Texas DPS, US Secret Service, NM State Police, FAMs.
A semi auto .40 or .357sig is a lot better than a 6 shot wheel gun in 2013.
Glock has a special price for sworn or retired sworn LE officers. See; www.glock.com . NOTE: due to huge demand & sky-rocketing prices, a few FFL holders/gun shops have cut the LE specials.

Speaking of retirement, don't forget the LEOSA(law enforcement officers safety act). It was signed into law by President Bush in the 2000s. A update was put in place in 2010 signed by President Obama. That could allow you to carry a sidearm(concealed firearm) when you retire. Check your state regulations or with your LE agency's legal affairs or HR office. You may need to qualify with your selected weapon for LEOSA. I looked at the state of CT's LEOSA training policy & they do not allow single action revolvers or semi-auto pistols. No P35 High Powers or 1911a1 .45s .
A .41magnum wheel gun can do well for defense/CC but a pistol is far better.

ClydeFrog