The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2013, 10:11 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

Reloading Logs

What method does everyone use to keep track of load data that they have tried? Like Bullet weight, powder charge and so on.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:22 PM   #2
AL45

spiral notebook
Old February 14, 2013, 10:23 PM   #3
drklude

+1 for small spiral notebook.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:41 PM   #4
NESHOOTER

I use a Large spiral note book and Lymans balistic chart book page at the front of each cal and bullet to write down of my best when reloading grouping and meets my standards, however I cut out groupings of testing shots fired and tape them to blank pages and can refer to it again and again and, If I can not remember why I liked that load I can flip through the pages and confirm just why I liked that load grouping. I do this for every bullet I buy and try so if that bullet I like goes away I just pick another. so I am not just having fun going bang there is a purpose behind every bang.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:46 PM   #5
iraiam

Microsoft Excel. It's a geek thing, you wouldn't understand.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old February 14, 2013, 11:08 PM   #6
ricklaut

Google Docs spreadsheet. That way it's available to me most anywhere.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:11 AM   #7
Sevens

I'm a hundred miles from a computer geek or techie nerd or any of those. It's not that I don't like technology -- I just flat-out refuse to pay for the stuff while you guys spend your dough beta testing it all. I'll enjoy the heck out of it when it's dirt cheap.

Even so, it's absolutely MS-Excel for me. I keep a very detailed, very long log. I spend a lot of time on it, but I get a lot from it.

It's multifaceted and I'd bore this audience if I went in to any manner of detail -- but perhaps the two most important things I gain from it (seriously, there's an endless number of things I truly gain from it) is that I:
--never make a crappy load TWICE
--always have a record of what I made, easily searchable by date

So no ammo I have in my stash is -EVER- unknown, because the box it's in has a date on it, and with the date I can figure out exactly what it is.

If I were any manner of famous, my MS-Excel log would be a NYTimes best seller!
Old February 15, 2013, 07:31 AM   #8
WaywardSon

MS Excel...I keep a separate sheet for each gun with loads grouped according to type of powder. Then data on charge weight, bullet, case, primer, C.O.A.L. etc. Then info on group size & distance.

Helps to avoid repeating bad loads for sure.
Old February 15, 2013, 07:48 AM   #9
iraiam

If you don't want to buy MS office or any of the individual applications, Excel, Word...

You can use Open Office from www.openoffice.org. It's a good office suite and free. I used it for years until I found a deal on a 3 license pack of MS Office. A notebook is fine also.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old February 15, 2013, 08:34 AM   #10
rox

Access database. Records all components - when & where bought, price paid, how many/much etc. Which components used in each load, which equipment used (presses, dies, measuring tools, case cleaning process etc), settings (e.g. die micrometer settings) plus all the usual load data. Generates a lot number for each load (to go on the packaging) and a printable load data sheet to take to the range. The lot number ties the ammo up to my shooting activity database (which records rifle use and barrel counts, how many fired, where, when etc). I use another database for team availability and selection, which automates sending of emails and records performance with a scan of each shooter's plot sheet for reference in future team selection.

I suppose I'm a bit of a geek.

Old February 15, 2013, 09:09 AM   #11
eldermike

I created my own form and keep them in a 3 ring binder. I just copy the master when I run low. The master is 30 years old now.
Old February 15, 2013, 09:36 AM   #12
toolguy2006

+1 on the Excel spreadsheet. I can send you a copy of the one that I use, if you want.
Old February 15, 2013, 10:47 AM   #13
ScottRiqui

Quote:
+1 on the Excel spreadsheet. I can send you a copy of the one that I use, if you want.
I'd appreciate a copy of it, if you wouldn't mind. My email is [email protected]

Thanks!
Old February 15, 2013, 11:05 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a 3 ring binder I put together sheets from Excel... "Mike's Pet Loads" ( sorry, borrowed from some other famous guy

I also was taught by my FIL to put a strip of masking tape on each cartridge box, & put "everything" on that strip of tape, including the date loaded, & brand & times the case has been loaded, case length, COL, etc.
Old February 15, 2013, 11:09 AM   #15
oldpapps

Redundant and know it.

Too many years working for the government, so I keep hard copy data and then transcribe the data into electronic form.

I created a form for the processing of brass into completed loads, listing the head stamp data, cleaning, sizing, depriming method, primer (swaged), trimmed/trim length, primer, powder type and charge, bullet type and weight, OAL, crimp type if any and completion date with any other notes.
All of this is easy and fast. The paper is filed away into a box after this same data is in-putted into a spread sheet.

It doesn't stop their.

Another form is printed. This on is for loads fired across a chronograph. Generally the same data from the first form is listed only with the addition of the weapon being tested and slots for 20 shots to be recorded and notes. And yes, all of this data is plugged into a spread sheet and that page is linked to a master page for that caliber and another page for that weapon. I don't consider a load properly tested unless 15 or more test firings have been recorded.

It still isn't over.

Yet another form is produced. This one list the weapon, the load info, the weather conditions and my thoughts. Most of the time I will attach the paper target or a photo of the target. The best news on this one is that only my evaluation is entered into the spread sheet for that weapon, noting the load and a scan of the target or the photo.

Why do I do all of this, your ask? I'm old, tired and retired and it gives me something to do. Besides, I enjoy it.

I have tried ringed binders and spiraled note books. I find that eventually everything is in the wrong place, pages coming out or something. I have all of my source data boxed up and safe and spread sheet data is available on my computers and USB drives so I can review it with ease.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old February 15, 2013, 11:51 AM   #16
HilbillyInCA

Google Docs for me. I like being able to access from any device, and knowing my data is backed up.
Old February 15, 2013, 12:07 PM   #17
mikld

I use simple Microsoft Word and just separate loads with a line. Then I print all pages of listed loads and put them in my 3-ring binder along with targets. I cansee and read the results of the listed load data...
Old February 15, 2013, 12:35 PM   #18
4runnerman

Pictures,dropped on the computer.
Old February 15, 2013, 03:45 PM   #19
hooligan1

" Little Black Book", I use load labels on the front to tell me what loads are in this book, pretty handy little dude.
I'm not like most handloaders that write each and every load down they have tried, whether it worked or not, I only write up loads I call "The One", it's the only way to make it into that little black book!
Old February 15, 2013, 05:09 PM   #20
wogpotter

Another Excel fan here.

I have a workbook per caliber,Raw data on one tab, processed, detailed info on a second. Cross reference this to graphing ability on a 3rd & I'm set. Excel even does statistical analsys & prints ballistics charts when I link the tabs to a seperate sheet for chrongraph info.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 15, 2013, 05:30 PM   #21
Ca Lunker

I used to use a spiral notebook but put together a Excel file last year to meet my needs. I still jot it into the spiral book when I done reloading. I then transcribe it to the Excel file when I get a chance.
Old February 15, 2013, 05:42 PM   #22
TATER

I use kinda higher-end 4 x 5 spiral notebooks now. Took quite a while
To recopy and bust up But, I now have one for small pistol, one for Large pistol ect.
I have each cal. separated with little color tabs.
Makes for very small foot print on bench when working.
Old February 15, 2013, 06:26 PM   #23
Mike1

3 ring binder with MTM pages. I also add other comments e.g. temp, wind, notes on whether load was too hot, didn't feed or eject right, chrono speed,etc.
Old February 16, 2013, 10:33 AM   #24
wogpotter

A tip for all those who use Excel (or Access for that matter).
Always have a "Misc.", or "Notes:" cell in the table, I've found this an invaluable aid for when you discover there's something you need to document that's outside the usual.
Like this example:
Notes

These are the "match" loads. Primer pockets uniformed, flash holes reamed, cases & bullets weight matched, Powder trickled.

These are the "Standard" loads. Batch loaded on Dillon. Misc cases, misc bullets, primer pockets cleaned only, charges dropped from measure.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”