The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old September 1, 2011, 07:50 PM   #1
RamItOne

Sig 1911 traditional match elite Failure

So my three day waiting period was up, get the pistol and prep it to be fired. I put roughly 100 rounds through it when it appears the safety broke. It came with an ambi safety and the safety on the right of the pistol (shooters pov) flaps around. I don't know how to feel about the gun. It's beautiful, feels great, fired nicely, but the obvious failure of the safety is troublesome on the overall quality of the pistol. At first I couldn't get the slide back to eject the live round. The hammer stays at the half cocked mode. I sure hope the gun dealer will step up to the plate and have his gunsmith look at it rather than having it sent off to Sig.
Old September 1, 2011, 09:10 PM   #2
rduckwor

Send it back to Sign. Make them earn your money.

RMD
Old September 1, 2011, 09:13 PM   #3
pvt.Long

send it to sig with a note on what its doing. you should have a real good warranty
Old September 1, 2011, 09:15 PM   #4
taurus4life

yeah a company like sig should pay for shipping i would let them fix it. this does seem to be a recurring problem with companies that have recently gotten into the 1911 platform. taurus had the same problem with there 1911's
Old September 1, 2011, 09:17 PM   #5
RamItOne

Yeah that would be the smartest thing. This is my first 1911, wanted one since I was a teenager, finally find one that I like and is in price range and then only get to fire it once. Any idea on Sigs turnaround time. I've heard SA is pretty quick and Kimber takes a long time to get the pistols back to you. The only caveat is that it's the ambi safety, on sigs website it doesn't come with one, wonder if the gun shops gunsmith added it and how will that affect the warranty. Ugh. 5,000+ rounds through my walther and never an issue, no fte or ftf etc. Have school tomorrow, will have to handle this in the afternoon.
Old September 1, 2011, 10:37 PM   #6
KyJim

Don't send it to Sig. Call or email them. They will send or email a pre-paid shipping label to you.
Old September 2, 2011, 05:53 AM   #7
WC145

Call SIG, they'll send you a return ticket for your gun and they'll make it right for you.

I recently had issues with a new SIG Traditional Compact but they took care of everything in very short order. My experience with their customer service was great.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old September 2, 2011, 07:47 AM   #8
RamItOne

That's good to hear. Going to call Sig after school today. Just painful to have to send it off after I just got the pistol. Should I contact the dealer at all on this?

Thanks
Old September 2, 2011, 07:59 AM   #9
C0untZer0

Attached Images
File Type: gif rlee.gif (25.7 KB, 2122 views)
Old September 2, 2011, 08:36 AM   #10
Will Beararms

1911's are fit intensive to work correctly. There is no room for a cookie mindset. Sig will get it right in time and they have to a large degree now. They worked through the issues with the P239 and today it is arguably the best of the best in it's class. .
Old September 2, 2011, 09:04 AM   #11
Shadi Khalil

Another "call sig" vote here. I've had to send my beloved P239 back to them in the past, they pay for shipping both ways and fix it right the first time. Make sure to call them first and let them know you are upset and you need the pistol back asap. Tell them you need it for some big match and without it your ruined. Sometimes you have to tell a little lie to lite a fire under their bums.
Old September 2, 2011, 10:40 AM   #12
WC145

Quote:
That's good to hear. Going to call Sig after school today. Just painful to have to send it off after I just got the pistol. Should I contact the dealer at all on this?
I wouldn't bother with the dealer, if he sends it back it's just more time and hassle for both of you. You can return it to SIG and they can send it directly back to you without an FFL. I don't see any benefit to going through the dealer.

My gun had issues right out of the box, I picked it up Saturday, called them Mon, sent it back Tues. It sucks but stuff happens, they made good on it, no hassles and quick turn around.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old September 2, 2011, 07:20 PM   #13
RamItOne

So I called Sig today, very nice, the guy said he hadn't heard of my particular issue before. Anyways they emailed me a packing slip for UPS next day, (too bad today is Friday and Mon is a holiday) and I dropped it off at the UPS store. They said turnaround time was 2-3 weeks.
Hope it all goes well. Will update later.

Thanks for the info

Oh and I'll post pics when I'm on a computer. Typical use my iPhone to post.
Old September 2, 2011, 07:26 PM   #14
rduckwor

Ditch the ambi safety unless you need it. They are a fifth wheel.
Old September 2, 2011, 08:57 PM   #15
RamItOne

As for ditching the Ambi I think I may. I am a lefty however I can use the standard side safety easily. Being a lefty I find has its benefits on a 1911, I can easily drop the mag with my left middle finger and hit the slide release with my left trigger finger and it falls perfectly by the trigger/guard. I know it "could" cause the trigger to go off on a 2.5-3# pull, but feel safe at 5#, been doing it on a nighthawk without issue. As always keep the pistol pointed in a safe direction.

Thanks for all the insight, I was really concerned and bummed about the situation.

Last edited by RamItOne; September 2, 2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old September 8, 2011, 10:34 PM   #16
RamItOne

Just got an email from Sig saying it left their factory today, 2day fed ex so the dang weekend is in the way again. Should have it 9.12

I'm wondering if they'll let me know what exactly failed and what was repaired or replaced.
Old September 13, 2011, 05:57 PM   #17
RamItOne

It Broke Again

IT BROKE AGAIN....

Seriously, this time with only 5 rounds through it after I got it back from Sig. The hammer is at rest, the standard side thumb safety is frozen, the ambi side thumb safety just flails around. Can't rack the slide, have a live round in the chamber. Now I'm just frustrated as hell. I called a local custom shop that specializes in 1911's, I may have them look at it depending on what Sig has to say when I call them.

What really gets me is when I received the pistol back from Sig the letter inside wrote:

Gunsmisth Comments:
Inspected the pistol
Re-assembled the gun
Could not find any issues with the thumb safety, condition could not be duplicated.

Really, nothing wrong found, when I put it in the box to ship out the hammer was frozen in the half cocked position, slide locked forward and ambi safety just flipping up and down with no resistance.

Sorry for ranting but this is the most expensive handgun i've purchased and have had issues right out of the gate.
Old September 13, 2011, 06:19 PM   #18
WVsig

Send it back to Sig again. You will not be the first to have to do so.

If they cannot make it right demand a new gun or a refund.

Ask for Bill Silver. LOL

If you can get a refund get a Colt.
Old September 13, 2011, 06:23 PM   #19
RamItOne

WVsig

Can I mail it with a live round chambered? Any federal laws regarding that?

If the problem can be fixed with just putting in a darn regular thumb safety I'd be fine, I am a lefty but won't be carrying this pistol, just a range gun or maybe a bbq gun.

As for the refund, how would that be handled? Through Sig or Dealer? I really like the pistol, however if a P226 X5 be offered at a compensating price I could be swayed. Lol.
Old September 13, 2011, 06:26 PM   #20
WVsig

Take a proper rod and knock the round out.

Do not let Sig off the hook. I am a huge Sig fan but a broken gun right out of the box is unacceptable.

Send it back give them one more chance to make it right. If they cannot do that then ask for a check directly from Sig.
Old September 13, 2011, 06:28 PM   #21
RamItOne

I can't rack the slide back...
Old September 13, 2011, 06:29 PM   #22
WVsig

OK So no movement in the slide at all?
Old September 13, 2011, 06:36 PM   #23
RamItOne

The standard thumb safety is locked in the "safe" position on the slide while the ambi side dangles. I can't get the thumb safety to unlock to be able to rack the slide. I don't want to do anything that'll let Sig "lawyer out of responsibility" which I why I'm going to talk to them first before possibly taking it to a local gunsmith. Ugh. Good thing I've got other pistols to shoot, but this is just depressing. I first bought a P250C from them and that sold me on Sig, for such a low priced pistol to feel and perform flawlessly was very impressive.

Does Sig produce their 1911's or is it farmed out?
Old September 13, 2011, 07:57 PM   #24
TunnelRat

I keep meaning to make a post about this, but I am lazy.

SIG is going through a number of issues right now. I have heard first hand of numerous brand new SIGs with horribly aligned slides, numerous feed problems, and cosmetic blemishes right out of the box. I live within biking distance from the factory and I talk to all the local gunsmiths, and even guys that work at the SIG custom shop. In a nut shell, they are currently way overworked and understaffed (they are working to remedy this next year with the purchase of a new facility and vastly increasing their work force). I am not surprised they missed this. Don't get my wrong, I just bought a brand new P229 and I love it but the sights couldn't hit a barn out of the box and there are gaps in the finish inside the slide from the hanging racks. SIG still makes a great product. However your chances of getting one with "issues" are much higher than they used to be. I say give it one more go. If it still has issues, either have a local smith fix it or if you really feel uncomfortable sell it.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 13, 2011, 10:00 PM   #25
Timbow

Wow, first time I'd chalk it up to crap happens sometimes. Twice, I'd be sending it back to get it fixed again and getting rid of it as soon as it gets back.

Tags
.45 , 1911 , failure , repair , sig