The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old October 16, 2012, 09:36 PM   #1
mordis

Post assault weapons ban home defense options?

So this discussion is about appropriate weapons that can be used effectively for home defense in the event Obama is re elected and instates a new AW Ban.

Will lever actions be sparred the ban stick? Are they acceptable home defense alternatives in this likely scenario? I know every were i turn, i hear that semi auto mag fed rifles are the only way to go. I know there the best bet, but cant be the only bet.

Id rather have a rifle then a shot gun, becuase i can see them banning tacticle shotguns, and shotguns with extended mag tubes.
Old October 16, 2012, 09:46 PM   #2
Deja vu

I have been using a lever action for a long time.

I cant believe that modern ARs are called Assault weapons. I thought that an assault weapon was fully automatic.

Even though I choose lever action for HD does not mean I feel others should.I recommend using what ever you shoot regularly.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 16, 2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Mobuck

I'm pretty sure big o will not be collecting all the current supply of mag fed semiauto rifles. Even if no more can be purchased, there's a lifetime supply sitting in closets all over the country.
I'm also confident that an attempt to remove those rifles from current owners won't go well at all.
You've got about 3 weeks to pony up and own your choice before the election.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:40 PM   #4
emcon5

Frankly I am not all that worried about it. Presidents don't make laws, Congress does, and aside from the habitual nutjobs (Schumer, Boxer, Carolyn McCarthy etc), congress wants no part of it.

They remember what happened last time. Even if the president won't be up for reelection, all of them will be.

I am a hell of a lot more worried about judicial nominations than I am a new gun ban.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:50 PM   #5
TXAZ

I'm also not too worried about it, but realize that there have been a fair number of rights limiting legislation and executive orders.

Conversely, ( and I don't think it is likely) when certain websites and venues become openly hostile (with explicit details) to maintaining order in the event of a particular upcoming political event, I can't imaging most gun owners sitting around and waiting for violent civil unrest to affect them directly, but may become proactive in the protection of their families and protection.

At least in most parts of Texas and the Southwest, starting a riot is likely a sucker bet at best.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old October 16, 2012, 10:54 PM   #6
silvermane_1

^^^ +1
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old October 16, 2012, 11:45 PM   #7
Bamashooter

I will continue to protect me and mine with my AR and Mini-14 along with various other types of firearms. I dont have any assault weapons just a couple AR's and Mini's along with various other firearms.
Old October 16, 2012, 11:47 PM   #8
Ben Towe

I think Shakespeare had it right: This is "much a'do about nothing."
Old October 17, 2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Bear River

What has bringing back the old Clinton Assault Weapons Ban have to do with anything. We were still buying and shooting our AR and AK rifles. It banned bayonet lugs and flash suppressors and some stocks if they were imported. It did ban magazines over 10 rounds being imported. The only thing that did was push the cost up and stopped rifles being imported from China.

The Liberals really took a beating after passing this dumb thing. They will not get the Senate or House members to vote on this one again. The Dems lost their a$$ last time. Even Clinton later said it was a costly move for the Dems.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:32 AM   #10
gaseousclay

Quote:
I think Shakespeare had it right: This is "much a'do about nothing."
yep
Old October 17, 2012, 08:05 AM   #11
Chris_B

As far as HD goes, I get chills when I think of how easily my 5.56 or .30 rifles can penetrate the walls of every room in my home
Old October 17, 2012, 08:55 AM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

Politics aside... I think the most "wet your pants effect" gun I own are my 2 - 12 ga side by side double coach guns MRS & I use for CAS...

I have all kinds of guns I could point at a bad guy, but the ol double barrel I think would be most intimidating... my reduced recoil loads ( I don't reload 12 ga ) I'd think would work just fine for home defense, I'm practiced at quick reloading...

as far as the lever guns... the shorter carbines would be most appropiate for home defense use... but on those, capacity is limited... shorter pistol calibers ( like 38 special in a 357 mag rifle ) ( MRS uses this set up for CAS ) allows a couple more rounds, ... cowboy speedloaders aren't really practical for more than saving the MRS fingernails, so on our CAS carbines, 10 -11 rounds is all we can fit in them... the most common lever gun caliber ( 30-30 ) would certainly work for home defense... over penitration could problem, as well as capacity is less than the pistol caliber guns...

however, in reality, anything you are willing to practice with, can be effective... I know of CAS shooters, that could probably out shoot the average shooter with a EBR, using a lever gun, at least as far as hitting a COM type target for the 1st 10 rounds
Old October 17, 2012, 09:39 AM   #13
madcratebuilder

I just did a day long road trip with two retired LEO's and HD fire arms came up in discussion. There was 100% agreement that a 12ga (16 or20) loaded with #4 buck is the best for HD. Bottom line is you use what you have on hand.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:00 AM   #14
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

There was no effort during the ban years to buy the EBRs; they were grandfathered. And any ban must go through the House of Representatives, which makes passage highly unlikely.

Since the first ban, millions of EBRs have been bought. They'll still be in homes around the country. They'll still work just fine.

And we had no problems with defending our homes before anybody even heard of an AK, SKS or AR. Really. No problem. EBRs are handy and convenient, but not at all necessary for successful defense.

The absolute last thing to worry about is efficacy of alternatives to EBRs. What's needed is a ton of snail mail and multitudes of phone calls to those running for election to Congress. Anything else is just the usual Internet whining.

Not that I mind my FFL buddy doing well in the oncoming feeding frenzy for acquiring EBRs.
Old October 17, 2012, 10:48 AM   #15
MikeGunz

I dont think another AWB will go through. It already got repealed once. Even Obama himself said that "ak47's" werent being used for the majority of crime. Guarantee once the election is over gun control wont even come up unless there is another psychopath ******* shooting.
Old October 17, 2012, 06:31 PM   #16
mordis

Your probably right guys. I just dont have the cash saved up yet to get a semi auto rifle. Right now I only have my S&W m15 and sure its good, but id like to have a rifle to go with it.

What about a long barreld 30 30, with a proper fitting scope should net me 10+1 rounds of .30 caliber fire power. Would also make a good hunting gun as well id imagine?

If i recall wernt there a few members of the republican party that went voted with the last AWB?
Old October 17, 2012, 06:47 PM   #17
Ben Towe

Quote:
If i recall wernt there a few members of the republican party that went voted with the last AWB?
I believe so, but let us be careful not to venture into politics lest this discussion be closed.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:04 PM   #18
Metal god

Quote:
As far as HD goes, I get chills when I think of how easily my 5.56 or .30 rifles can penetrate the walls of every room in my home
Yep I agree , Way to much for whats needed . I would not want my bullets going through a couple walls in to my sons room or even my neighbors house . I'm in a very urban area . From my living room my neighbors bedroom is not much farther then my bedroom I have many guns and only my shot gun is ready at a moments notice .

I new a guy that said something very interesting to me once . I was helping him move and I noticed he had a small hand gun safe bolted to his night stand . I just so happened to know he has a shot gun in the big safe on the other side of the room . I asked him if you are going to have to open a safe to get to your gun in the event of HD . Why not just go get the shot gun ?

He said ( and I'll never forget this )I have the pistol close to make sure I can get to the shot gun .

Things that make you go humm

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; October 17, 2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:28 PM   #19
Beretta686

If President Obama is reelected I'm glad to see the nation's tin-foil hat industry will continue to thrive. I'll call my broker right after the election and get him to buy up stock in Reynolds Aluminum.

In the bizarre event a new AWB comes down, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to successfully defend yourself with any one of the wide variety of weaponry people have listed above.

Though I'm the proud owner of many EBRs, a machine gun, suppressors, an SBS, an SBR and other very efficient means of turning $$$ into noise, contrary to the ramblings of many tin-foil hat devotees, you don't need an "Assault Weapon" for self-defense. You're actually rather well armed with a 6-shot .357 Magnum revolver if you know what you're doing

Baring your house being assaulted such as Tony Montana's pad in Scarface, I have trouble foreseeing a situation where an AR-15 with a 30-round magazine will be the decisive factor in a self-defense situation, though for argument's sake it would be rather nice have.

This is why many so gun owners make me laugh when they ramble off fantasies of how practical their latest wiz-bang toy is (does not apply if you're justifying the purchase to your wife). Unless you're in the military, 99.9% of you will never ever, ever, ever fire a shot in anger, much less take down hordes of attackers with your EBR like in the movies. I just wish they'd just be honest and admit at their EBR is just an amusing toy to put a smile on their face. Mine sure do.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 17, 2012, 07:40 PM   #20
Edward429451

All of the fighting talk is nonsense. The revolution was called for in the music around 1969 and there was no revolution, it all went up in a puff of smoke, lol. Besides, they've outlawed resistance, and all of the chronically lawful on this board would turn in their guns, lol. Home defense is easily accomplished with most any weapon. With the gang activity going unchecked across America, I can envision scenarios where an AR might be the deciding factor.

This is an important election, tinfoil notwithstanding.
Old October 17, 2012, 07:58 PM   #21
coyota1

I would think over penetration would not be a problem if you use varmint bullets. The go to pieces when the come into contact with anything.

A lever action is a great choice since it was originally designed for combat.
Old October 17, 2012, 08:55 PM   #22
Beretta686

Quote:
All of the fighting talk is nonsense
Indeed, but from my entirely cynical, unprofessional observations of people at the range, it's much sexier imagining yourself a noble 21st Century Minute-Man ready to mount the ramparts of freedom, then facing the fact you're a middle-aged, somewhat over-weight balding man who has to ask his wife for permission to buy a new gun.

Quote:
With the gang activity going unchecked across America, I can envision scenarios where an AR might be the deciding factor.
Unless you're involved in the drug trade, I doubt MS-13, Los Zetas or anyone else is going to launch a full-scale frontal assault upon your house requiring an AR-15. Besides most gang-bangers are like Iraqis and will flee as soon as you shoot back. So though I can envision it, I have trouble seeing a sequence of events where you're going to be fighting off a whole "set" of gangbangers (according to one of my Soldiers, "set" is the hip new term for "crew" or "possy". Some 411 for when you're talking to your kids).

Though I must confess I do have some tin-foil on my head, as I do keep a loaded 30 round mag in my gunsafe next to my 10.5 inch AR, with EoTech, tactical-flashlight, KX-3 and bad-ass sling. But that's for the Zombocalypse.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old October 17, 2012, 09:10 PM   #23
coyota1

Quote:
then facing the fact you're a middle-aged, somewhat over-weight balding man who has to ask his wife for permission to buy a new gun.
Didn't Samual Colt make all men equal??? I am middle aged, I am not over weight, I have a full head of hair, and I do not ask permission from my wife to buy a new gun.

Maybe the gang situation is not a threat now, but the threat is growing along with home invasions. There is nothing wrong with being armed and ready! Being bald, middle aged, and overweight is irrelevant.
Old October 18, 2012, 12:27 AM   #24
RC20

Well I am bald, overweight and I do let my wife know when I am goign to buy a gun (sometimes I ask for her permsiion and sometimes I let her know). Collectiabls are the ones I ask permision for.

T
Quote:
here was no effort during the ban years to buy the EBRs; they were grandfathered. And any ban must go through the House of Representatives, which makes passage highly unlikely.
Art, me thinks you are forgetting the inimical Senate. Ability of a minority to block the will of the majority ala Filibuster, and that does not count Blue, Pink and Green Dogs (or whatever they are).

In other words, it ain't happening in either palace.
Old October 18, 2012, 01:53 AM   #25
robfromga

I hope you guys are correct. The supreme court was going to throw out obama care too huh ? I think the bigger problem with re-election is the Sc judges he props up. Executive order and he bypasses congress. Sounds crazy but the guys a wack case.
Closed Thread