The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 11, 2009, 12:02 AM   #26
Winchester_73

Do not continue to store the gun in the holster. The holster can keep moisture and other bad stuff against the finish which can cause damage to the finish. Keep the gun oiled and out of the holster when not in use. Nice gun btw. Don't be afraid to shoot it either.
Old December 11, 2009, 12:17 AM   #27
Winterhawk56

Ok then educate me on the information, I looked up from the 25th anniversary BLUE BOOK of Gun Values by S. P Fjestad and on page 716 in which is stated and I quote;

"ac-No Date Stamp - 9mm Para. Cal. ac (Walther code) appears on slide on side without date, "ac" on trigger-guard, 2800 mfg. with serial # 7356 to 9671, rarest military coded P.38 rarely encountered in 90% or better original condition"

face value $1300 to $5500.00

Do you see a date stamp on the pistol?

Does it have the serial numbers as stated?

Does the trigger-guard have the correct information"

My intent was not to mislead anyone! based on what I saw and one of my personal pre-war walther P38 it appears to be as stated.

Additionally at an auction two years I observed a pre-war P.38 go for almost 10K with the clips and holster.

Again not trying to mislead anyone as I know this is an unforgiving crowd and available to allot of critics and information alike.

I am wrong then again it was not my intent to mislead anyone or give them false information.

Additionally I do see the 43 now that it has been brought to my attention by gyvel, thanks, I do appreciate it. My mistake was looking at the serial number and not the picture.

Thanks for the corrections and the lesson in humility.

Ralph

Last edited by Winterhawk56; December 11, 2009 at 01:01 AM.
Old December 11, 2009, 12:39 AM   #28
TTUBOB87

I really want to shoot it, but there's no way my dad would let me.
Old December 11, 2009, 09:28 AM   #29
Winchester_73

Its no problem at all. Missing the "43" does explain your posts. It happens.
Old December 11, 2009, 10:29 AM   #30
muddinman_04

TTUBOB87,
Would there be any way that you might be able to find the capture papers that your Grandfather had to have when he brought the pistol home?

That would help give backing that your grandfather actually brought it back and give more value (in my opinion) to the pistol.

Nice pistol. I have a couple byf44 P-38's. One was given to me by a veteran that had lost the capture papers. I really wish I had them to go along with the history of the pistol.

Here is a picture of the capture paper that came with a CZ Duo I bought not too long ago.
Old December 11, 2009, 10:45 AM   #31
TTUBOB87

Wow that's incredible, and I'm completely unaware of any capture papers. I'm just about certain that there are no papers with this gun, we simply just have the P38, holster and extra magazine.

Thanks
Old December 11, 2009, 11:27 AM   #32
Walt Sherrill

Capture papers are clearly the exception, not the rule -- as many of the bring back guns came in under the radar... stuffed in duffel bags, etc.

The papers add value for a collector.
Old December 11, 2009, 11:29 AM   #33
TTUBOB87

Antique Roadshow anyone? That'd be awesome!
Old December 11, 2009, 11:44 AM   #34
NJgunowner

Oh, don't do anything silly like trying to refinish/restore it. Collectors want original finish, even if it doesn't look that good. Attempts to refinish could really damage the value... not to mention the gun.
Old December 11, 2009, 11:51 AM   #35
TTUBOB87

Thanks, I appreciate it. I doubt this gun will leave the family though. It's amazing condition.
Old December 14, 2009, 03:38 AM   #36
gyvel

Quote:
Its not Spreewerker, its Spreewerk
And it's not "Spreewerk," it's Spreewerke.
Old December 14, 2009, 04:59 PM   #37
P5 Guy

WOW Who Canned These Worms?

Great thread I learned a lot from this discussion.
I'm looking at my dad's AC 44 P38 in a whole new light. All numbers mentioned in this post are the same and the magazine has the same numbers too. No holster and not in the fine condition the P38 being discussed is but just as valuable, to me.
He brought it back from his romp thru North Africa, Italy and France. His story was that he got it in Italy.
Old December 14, 2009, 05:22 PM   #38
brian45auto

Quote:
I really want to shoot it, but there's no way my dad would let me.
just an fyi.
there is no reason other than a few possible safety issues(though being in the condition yours appears to be in, they should not be an issue) that you could not shoot it.
they are not fragile by any means. but rather quite rugged
it is in decent shape but there isn't anything super special or rare about it that should keep you from enjoying it on occasion. no need to put 500rds a weekend through it but a 100rds now and then won't hurt it at all.
Old December 14, 2009, 07:36 PM   #39
TTUBOB87

Maybe eventually i'll shoot it, a gun like this deserves to be appreciated fully I guess. On the other hand though we want to keep it in amazing condition and not fire it, the firing pin was recently re-installed though. Hm...
Old December 14, 2009, 09:27 PM   #40
James K
Member In Memoriam

After U.S. troops began to capture P.38's, which were then a strange critter, APG ran several through endurance testing and they routinely went 5000 rounds without a miss or any problem. One thing helping reliability is that the magazines are something tough. They are heavy, especially compared with a Luger or M1911 magazine, and just don't give trouble. If they get dirty, they are easily disassembled and cleaned.

Jim
Old October 19, 2016, 02:00 PM   #41
edteach

WOW the post about it being worth 5500 dollars is just crazy. Its an AC43 one of the most common P38s. The guy who said the g was for a Gdate is mixing up P08s with P38s. Its a serial no sequence. they would number them from 1 to 9999 A then 1 to 9999 B ect. The gun even today is only worth in 90 to 95 percent about 700 to 800 dollars. your not going to retire on that gun. Its not the P08 45 acp.
Old October 19, 2016, 02:14 PM   #42
T. O'Heir

You notice the date? It's not "mint" either.
Old October 20, 2016, 11:41 AM   #43
44 AMP
Staff

"capture papers" are the US Army paperwork listing the gun, and authorizing the solider to keep it, and bring it home as a war trophy. They range from an official form to a hand written receipt, and may or may not identify the gun by serial number, though most do.

They are much more rare than the guns themselves. Reason #1, lots of the guns were never officially papered, #2 of the ones that were, often the paperwork has been lost over the years.

I have an ac 43, in good, but not quite as good finish condition as the OP's gun. Mine was a commercial import, after the war, and has the importer's stamp on it. Bought it about a decade ago for $350.

IF you are going to shoot it (and shooting it will not hurt it) DO NOT USE +p ammo, of ANY kind. The gun was built to run on 115gr FMJ (at a nominal 1150fps) and will last a long time if you stay away from +p stuff.

Oh, and be aware, the P.38 ejects TO THE LEFT!!!!

(something I had never been aware of, until I got one!) Now, its my favorite piece to shoot on the range when a kid in the next lane pelts me with brass, I get out the P.38, and fling some back! (not entirely a joke, )

Also, be aware that the proper, period correct Nazi marked holster (in good condition) ADDs up to several hundred dollars to the collector value.

If there are any "bringback" papers make copies, to keep with the gun, and put the originals in a safe place.

Nice piece of history, and family history, keep it well, and enjoy!
Old October 20, 2016, 12:46 PM   #44
TunnelRat

2009 was a good year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk