The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old November 3, 2009, 10:19 AM   #1
bugmania

Bound book-serial number question

I went to the local Big 5 and picked up a Mosin, my first. I got it home and went to add it to my bound book and noticed two serial numbers; the original Russian and a serial number from the importer, CAI. Which number should I enter in my bound book? Or should I put both in it?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 3, 2009, 11:54 AM   #2
FlyFish

Per the GCA of 1968 and related legislation, serial numbers are required to conform to certain standards such as size of print and depth of impression. I would proceed on the assumption that the original serial number somehow did not satisfy the legal requirements and so the importer gave the firearm a new serial number that did. That would make the importer's number the "legal" serial number for your bound book.

Then (if it were me) I'd go ahead and enter both numbers in my book anyway just to be on the safe side - I don't see how doing that could lead to any problems.
Old November 3, 2009, 04:56 PM   #3
jonnyc

I always put both, especially if the piece might have gone through a few hands before me.
Old November 4, 2009, 10:03 PM   #4
gandog56

I put them both down so there is no doubt.

Though drawing some of them Cyrillic letters ain't easy.
Old November 5, 2009, 01:30 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

It wouldn't hurt to check your sales receipt, to see what serial number it was actually sold to you as.
Old November 5, 2009, 05:28 AM   #6
gyvel

Did you purchase the rifle and have to fill out a 4473 at the store? If so, it doesn't need to go into your bound book.

On the other hand, if they accepted your C&R 03, then, yes it does have to be in your bound book.

And, to answer your question, serial numbers are required to be engraved on rifles such as these because the morons at BATFE and ICE are too stupid to be able to read Cyrillic letters. Just put both s/ns in your book and let them sort it out.
Old November 5, 2009, 10:57 AM   #7
bugmania

I did fill out a 4473 at the store. The salesman gave me a spiel about having new forms and he wasn't familiar with them so he asked if I would fill out a 4473 which I did. However, I was under the impression that I had to put it in my bound book whether I used my C&R or not since it is an eligible firearm under the C&R rules. Is this not the case?
Old November 5, 2009, 01:40 PM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
I did fill out a 4473 at the store. The salesman gave me a spiel about having new forms and he wasn't familiar with them so he asked if I would fill out a 4473 which I did. However, I was under the impression that I had to put it in my bound book whether I used my C&R or not since it is an eligible firearm under the C&R rules. Is this not the case?
Nope. If you filled out a 4473, you did not use your C&R to purchase it, and, therefore, it does not need to be entered into your book. It is treated the same as though you had just bought a brand new AR15.
Old November 6, 2009, 06:10 AM   #9
jonnyc

WRONG! It doesn't matter how you get the C&R gun, if you possess a C&R license at the time of that purchase you must put it in the B.Book.
Old November 7, 2009, 08:18 AM   #10
gyvel

Quote:
WRONG! It doesn't matter how you get the C&R gun, if you possess a C&R license at the time of that purchase you must put it in the B.Book.
Here we go again. I'm embroiled in a "discussion" on another forum about this very same thing. Lots of "laws" getting thrown around, etc.

After probably half a dozen calls to 3 different ATF field agent offices and one I.O. supervisor, I was told unanimously that (in so many words) the 03 C&R allows you to purchase C&R firearms through channels that a non-licensee cannot use (out of state, etc.). Beyond that, it confers NO special rights or privileges.

And what all the ATF people told me is: If you purchase a weapon that just coincidentally is a C&R but you did NOT use your license, i.e. you bought it on a 4473, in their eyes it is the same as any other 4473 purchase, and you are just "John Q. Public." (This is where the "no special rights or privileges conferred" comes into play, and the law pertaining to the "bound book" DOES NOT apply.)

But, even though four different ATF people told me the same story, I am going to submit the question to WVA next week and get something, one way or the other, in writing, and hopefully put this to bed for good.

Last edited by gyvel; November 7, 2009 at 08:25 AM.