The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 3, 2009, 06:21 PM   #1
325wsm

shotgun shell ?

I was wondering what peoples opinions are on estate shotgun shells, such as their high velocity hunting loads. And how they match up against other shells. Also I was wondering if anyone would know the difference between Federal Premium Lead Shotshells and other shells. The Pwdr Dram Equiv. on the Fed. say Mag. How much is that compared to other shells. Thanks
Old August 3, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
ebutler462

I use Estate more than any other ammo. They are made by Federal, who bought out Estate a few years back. As to the mag designation, I can't answer that.
Old August 3, 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
oneounceload

I believe you mean MAX dram equivalent?.....in 12 DE goes from 2-3/4 DE to max which can be basically 3-1/4 or 3-1/2. Pigeon loads are 3-3/4 DE.

Estate shells are good shells - they can even be reloaded a few times using Federal data
Old August 3, 2009, 08:03 PM   #4
BlackFeather

I love estate... I shoot those more than any other shells besides the cheap 100 round cases of winchester at walmart... but they are sooo cheap...

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old August 4, 2009, 11:10 AM   #5
TheNev

Guess I'm the minority, but I bought a case of Estate 7 1/2 shot 16ga shells simply because I hardly ever find 16ga shells.

They do not cycle my Auto-5. Without messing with the recoil rings, I can load some Winchester or Remington shells with the exact same load info and it cycles fine.
Old August 4, 2009, 02:56 PM   #6
BigJimP

Estate shells are ok - although I consider them throw-away shells vs something to reload. The "throw away" shells I prefer are Rio - they seem to pattern better and are not as dirty as Estates...
Old August 4, 2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Couzin

Agree - found Estate to be a little dirtier - but since I use O/U, ain't too big a deal to clean up the guns other than the porting. Really plugs up the gas port and forend cap valves on my wife's 3901 though.
Old August 7, 2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Evyl Robot

The Estates smell funny to me when they go off. I don't know if that's a particular powder or what...