The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 26, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
10 Spot Terminator

excessive chamber length in Rem 700 CDL 243

I have been perplexed for some time now with flyers from my Remington 700 CDL in 243 Win. ,,,

One time a 5 shot group may look good at around 1/2 in. @ 100 yds and the next it would open up and string out 2 or more flyers. From the onset I new the throat was a bit long as most of my loads be they 75 gr. or 100 gr. had the bullets seated as lomg as the magazine wold allow . Today I borrowed a Stoney Point tool with a modified case that allows you to take a selected bullet and push it by way of a flex rod up through the seated case until the bullet contacts the lands then remove the tool and measure the cartridge OAL . HOLY CRAP BATMAN !!! using 3 different 100 grain bullets, Sierra, Speer and Hornadys Spire point I found that after I maxed out the OAL to fit the magazine I had an average bullet jump of .110 .... If I tried to use a Hornady 75 gr V-Max the bullet would exit the case by .005 before the bullet contacted the lands . THIS CANT BE GOOD !!! I have fired maybe 450 total rounds through this rifle over the past 3 years and none of them were barn burners that would have chewed out the throat . I clean the gun after 5 round shot strings as well . Has anyone else had a factory Remmy 700 with this kind of HOOEY ??? I am sure remington wont offer any help as I have compromised the gun by reloading . Is it possible to have the barrel set back and rechambered or am I looking at having to say put a new barrel on it for most of what I paid for the gun to begin with. Not made of $$$ ,,, Thought I bought a good rifle to start with ,,, Any advice would be appreciated .

10 Spot
Old April 26, 2009, 09:35 PM   #2
kraigwy

Yes its quite easy to set back a barrel on a Model 700, or Winchester. It was quite common when people were shooting magnums in 1000 yard matches.

I built my 1000 yard barrels quite long (normally started out at 29 inches. Withe the Mags, the throat is the first to go. You can extend the life of the barrel by setting it back and re-chambering it.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 27, 2009, 08:07 AM   #3
10 Spot Terminator

Thanks kraigwy,

Pretty sure you just made my day !

10 Spot