The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2009, 08:21 PM   #1
TEALEAF404

Looking To Start Reloading 380 Acp Only

looking to start reload once shoot brass for fun just want to get my feet wet can you tell me a simple easy to use kit single stage sounds good and cost for everything

thanks
tealeaf 404
Old March 20, 2009, 08:39 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I'm not sure if I understand your post. You would like to start reloading but want to know how much it costs to start up??????

.<----- A period. It is your friend!! Welcome to TFL!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 20, 2009, 08:44 PM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Well, a Lee single stage kit should cost about 100 or so and it comes with just about everything but dies...I think. Powder typically runs around 15-20 per pound....and there are 7000 grains in a pound. Primers are about 30 per 1,000. Bullets in bulk are usually around 10-15 bucks for 100, depending on type. Prices do vary, though. You have the brass.....so that should cover it. There are many fancy tools out there that make reloading easier, but most times they are not necessary. Good luck!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 20, 2009, 08:53 PM   #4
ar15chase

I bought the Lee hand press works great. Got it and a set of 9mm dies for under $100 together a few months ago. My rule of thumb is load 3 bullets and shoot them. It may take a bit to get it down.
Old March 20, 2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Mark whiz

If you are only wanting to reload pistol rounds and are on a budget...............I too would suggest the Lee Hand Press. It's cheap, simple to use, and will hold up well for pistol use.
Although, it might be to your advantage to go with a little more $$ and get something along the lines of a Lee Challenger press. Anything more along the lines of a stationary press like that will make loading a bullet as small as the .380 easier, as these tiny bullets can be hard to manipulate when you're having to hold the press in your hands at the same time.

Also get a carbide die set, so you don't have to mess with case lubing for such a small round.
!
Old March 21, 2009, 12:30 AM   #6
RamSlammer

A very good scale and powder measure. .380 ACP is a very low volume case with tiny powder charges that have no room for error. Books - ABC's of reloading, Sierra Manual, Modern Reloading, etc.