The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 1, 2001, 09:17 AM   #1
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Steel Target Systems from Blackwater Training Center

I recently purchased some targets from Blackwater Training Center for my mountain hideaway. Included are a Personal Plate Rack , two Colt Speed Plates, two Pepper Poppers and, of course, one Steel Hog

These are really well designed and thought out. All steel is 3/8" AR500, capable of handling anything from the .22LR to 45-70, without damage. The Poppers and Colt Speed targets feature adjustable force to allow for dropping (or not dropping) by any caliber. The remote manual reset on the plate rack is funtional and simple. All, including the personal plate rack, are easily transportable. Only drawback so far is that, with a 45 auto, more than one plate will sometimes drop with a hit. Will be adding some sandbags to the legs to see if this resolves the problem.

Add some spray paint in Red, White and Black and you can easily cover previous hits and create shoot-no shoot scenarios. There's nothing like shooting steel!
Rich
Old December 9, 2002, 09:14 PM   #2
Gary H

Rich:

I'm looking for some metal plates for a Christmas gift for my elderly father and have only used plates with my rifles. I was hoping that you might provide some guidance. Do you still have a high regard for yours? Have you found that you use some targets more than others? Have you added to your selection? Are they holding up to your .45 ACP? Would the Personal Plate rack be easy to transport and setup?

Thanks!!
Old December 13, 2002, 10:17 PM   #3
hansolo

Steel -- Love it!

Rich: Sounds like paradise! I started shooting in earnest only about a year ago...my "mentor" started me on paper Bullseye targets...I still put them up now & then, but prefer steel in all it's variations. Luckily, the outdoor range I belong to has all types, some permanently set up in the various lanes, and some portable ones, to create all kinds of stages. I've shot a couple of weekend matches -- Stock Gun, Steel Challenge, Stock Gun(again!...got out the S&W MP .38 and had a blast!). Am I the only one who resists throwing their magazines in the dirt? The RO kept berating me, when I tried to waste precious seconds by placing the empty mag into the belt... Steel is cool!

Regards,

Steve
Old December 16, 2002, 01:59 PM   #4
jimsbowies

Blackwater! Simply a great place

If your pocketbook can stand it, Blackwater now has the "Rolling Bear"...It is a trailer-mounted (heavy duty of course) system that can be easily pulled by even the smallest vehicle (only 300 lbs tongue weight), with built-in compressor and generator (to turn and move the targets). It has 6 computer driven turning targets, a 20 foot paper mover, six 10" chest plates, and more! They also have the "Firm"....it too is trailer mounted and includes a bunch of smaller targets...wow!

Contact Jim Dehart, Director of Target Manufacturing for info...and while you're at it...attend one of their courses...you'll find their facilities and training to be state of the art!

NOPE, I DON'T HAVE ANY FINANCIAL INTEREST IN BLACKWATER...just been there!
Old December 16, 2002, 04:35 PM   #5
HKguy9

How heavy is the 6 plate rack and can my wimpy 120 lb butt carry it out of my tactical Honda (or will it fit??) Does it hold up to .308?