The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 2, 2000, 05:29 PM   #1
anti-disarmist

Anyone else had problems with a Benelli M1 Tactical semi-auto with mag extension & 6-shot side-saddle & surefire light? Rounds do not eject/cycle with more than 2 rounds in the side-saddle. With no rounds in the side-saddle, everything works fine. Over 300 rounds were fired through the M1. I see no choice, but to remove the side-saddle.

Comments?
Old August 2, 2000, 06:34 PM   #2
P-35

I have a couple of Benellis that are picky about how much weight is on the gun. What kind of loads are you shooting? The reduced "tactical" loads don't recoil enough, try the full 12 pellet Federal Premium stuff.

Also, examine how you are holding the gun, very important. My entry gun won't cycle birdshot unless I hold the gun with the butt directly in the center of the vest making the hold more firm.

In my experience, the gun will function with all of the doo-dads as long as you use full power loads, properly lubricate and most importantly, do not pinch the receiver with the single bolt for the sidesaddle. Try overtightening it a little and see what I mean. The Benellis shoot themselves loose no matter how tight you try to make things.
Old August 2, 2000, 06:55 PM   #3
anti-disarmist

I've mainly used Winchester 2-3/4" 1-1/4 oz #8 shot. I had better luck with slugs, but sometimes even they fail.

As for a better grip...I'll try, but I'm not optimistic. My grip tends to be a Vulcan death grip anyway.

The side-saddle was put on by the dealer (Benelli gunsmith), but I'll look at that also. The dealer mentioned that an M1 works with a Surefire light OR a side-saddle, but not both.

Thanks for the options.
Old August 2, 2000, 08:22 PM   #4
jthuang

From what I've read, your dealer is right. You can have one or the other, but not both.

My Benelli has a Surefire and it works perfectly with all tactical and light trap loads.

If you don't want to ditch one or the other, contact Wolff Gunsprings (http://www.gunsprings.com) -- they have a special recoil spring which is supposed to solve your problem.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania