The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 29, 2008, 08:27 PM   #1
jonwymore

Handload help

For Christmas this year i purchased a savage 10-fp tactical chambered in .308 win. I topped it with a super sniper 10X42m. I wanted a rifle to begin shooting out to 500+ yards. After hours of research and countless trips to the gun store i finally decided on that rifle setup as it should satisfy my needs on the budget that i had. I guess i underestimated how much work was involved with finding the handload that would give me the best performance of my weapon. I had some success with my first handload i used with a cheap BSA scope. i was able to zero and then shoot a .75 MOA group. Then two things happened. The scope broke under the recoil, and i found out that the load i was using was the max advisable load. For fear of damage to my investment i decided it best to try different loads that were less stressfull on the weapon. The only bullets i have used so far is a 168 grn hornady both in BTHP and Amax. My money is wearing thin since I'm still in school so I'm wondering if someone can point me in the direction for a great handload without me having to spend lots of money that i don't have on the thousands of different kinds of bullets that are out there. I would like to know what type of powder, how many grains of powder, what weight and type of bullet and how to determine the best depth to seat the bullet. Thanks for your help. Jon.

P.S. If you would like to email your thoughts/ideas please send them to [email protected]
Old March 29, 2008, 08:45 PM   #2
jsr76

Well Jon, this is a long lesson. I really have faith in you're rifle brand and caliber. I really recommend the Lee Collet dies as they only size the case neck, and this makes a difference. Bullet and powder and charge weight only come from experimentation. Seating length is rifle and bullet specific and is really best left for the experienced to explain. I am totally qualified but it would take up too much space here. If need be, send me a private message and I'll explain it. If I had to guess, I'd start with something like Hodgdon Varget and a 165-168 grain match bullet. I'd find my magic recipe, and then maybe experiment with seating length. The biggest question is whether or not you can guide you're rifle under a half inch. Not an insult, Sir. Just a part of the equation. You're equipment sounds really good so far. I run a BSA 6-24x scope into the .300's inch all the time.
Old March 29, 2008, 09:09 PM   #3
taylorce1

Quote:
I had some success with my first handload i used with a cheap BSA scope. i was able to zero and then shoot a .75 MOA group. Then two things happened. The scope broke under the recoil, and i found out that the load i was using was the max advisable load.
It is all right to shoot your rifle with max loads if that is what is giving you the best accuracy. Just watch for certain things like loose or flattened primers. If the bolt is hard to lift then that is a good sign that your loads are going over pressure. Just remember the loads given in a book are guidelines not information set in stone, just be careful and watch for the signs when working near max load.

Last edited by taylorce1; April 1, 2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old April 1, 2008, 04:54 PM   #4
jsr76

Very good advice Taylorce1
Old April 1, 2008, 05:05 PM   #5
Wildalaska

My proven 308 match load is Lapua brass (neck sized using Redding die) fed 210M, 185 Lapua scenar, 40 grains RL15. Seating depth is per book (2.80?).

This gives me 2400 fps.

Scenars are expensive so I would run 175SMKs if I were you.

WildsubsubmoaAlaska ™
Old April 1, 2008, 05:15 PM   #6
piercfh

I shoot out to 1000 with my 10fp .308 and my handloads.

The load I shoot is 168 gr BTHP sierra or nosler with 43 grains of Varget powder. I use lake city brass with federal 210 primers. I regularly get clover leaf groups at 100 yds, and average around half inch groups. My friend just started shooting a remington and he is getting comparable accuracy with 44 grains of varget and the other ingredients.

almost forgot the oal is 2.81 and velocity if I remember correctly averaged around 2500 or 2600.
good luck