The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2007, 01:53 AM   #1
Wildalaska

A Discourse on Creeping Incrementalism

Fighting the battle as I am against a difficult rifle creature and myriads of bullets, I wonder what the consensus view is the best unit of measurement for those creeping incremenal steps from mininum to maximum in ones powder charge...

.1? .2 .5? Some other number? Are you consistent and step like, or wildly erratic? Do you increase or decrease as you appoach the zone? Do you use the calculator and your manual to make some arcane calcuation or do you just shout from the rooftops: "ONE GRAIN" for no reason whatsover???

And do you pick one way then change your mind and do it anther way for a different cartridge..

What say ye?

WildwantstoknowAlaska TM
Old October 14, 2007, 04:16 AM   #2
Red_Eagle

I usually work up in 1 grain increments until I'm about 2-3 loads away from max, then I do half grain. I try to make sure I'm at least a few 10th's of a grain away from the max in the book. I do to account for any variances in powder lots of components I substituted like cases. If I use a different primer than was listed I'm extra, extra careful, and only after alot of research. I also like that little .2-.5 cushion because I seldom use the listed seating depth. I usually seat .030-.050 off the lands. I've been doing this ever since I got my Stoney Point chamber guage.
Old October 14, 2007, 05:18 AM   #3
rwilson452

It depends on the case volume. For something like a 30-06 I will use .5 grains. for a .223 I would use .2 or .3

General rule of thumb, .1 of the max load. line on a 30-06 of your max load is 52 grains I would use .5 grain steps. in a 308 if your max load is 45 grain I would use .4 of the max load is 47 grains it would be .5

After I find the best load I drop up and down by .1 grains to find the range of values that don't show a difference in accuracy. say as you step up you hit your load at 45 grains. I would back off to 44.5 and go up in .1 steps. you find it doesn't matter if you load 44.7 to 45.2. I would then set my load at 44.9 gr
Old October 14, 2007, 09:01 AM   #4
armoredman

.2, but that's just me.
Old October 15, 2007, 07:17 PM   #5
L Puckett

WA,

I use exactly the same steps that rwilson452 uses with a limit of no smaller than .3 (small case rifle) and no larger than .5 (large rifle) for the primary step. Secondary step is always .1 grn, as described.

The primary finds the harmonic node, the secondary finds the "span" of the node and it's center is where I then load.

I attempt to do this at 60(F) degrees so I can stay in the node regardless of temp. on more sensitive powders.

Just another opinion,
LP
Old October 15, 2007, 10:41 PM   #6
rwilson452

Living in the NE I tune loads as near to the temp I will use them at. EG for shooting groundhogs a summer thing I do it at 70 for deer loads at 40 or less.
Old October 16, 2007, 10:24 PM   #7
joneb

Hi Wild, I typically start at the mid-range of a consensus of load data, and then go over and under that in .2 grain increments in a 3-4gr spread, I load one of each increment and pay attention of how they group, the load range that groups tighter is the sweet spot for that load and bullet in my rifle
Old October 16, 2007, 10:55 PM   #8
Sarge

I have standardized on just a few rifle powders that I have a good base of experience with. If I were loading something new, like when I started fiddling with the .223 a few years ago, I'll consult all the data I can find for my selected components, and often start in the middle-range. I'll chrono a few, check pressure signs, and when I get the velocity I'm looking for I'll start shooting groups. By this time I am usually within .2 to .5 grains of the max, in at least one of the data sources. If the load groups OK, I'm done. If not I'll adjust the charge by .1 grain at a time, either way, until the groups suit me. But when I get within that last half-grain, I never adjust more than a tenth at a time.

It's probably worth mentioning here that I;m never out to meet or beat published max velocities. If I get within 100 fps, the load shoots good and I'm not straining anything- I'm a happy man.

I'm pretty much a 'one load per rifle' guy. Pistols are different, and I'll tailor several loads for for a single gun, to accomplish different tasks.