The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 14, 2015, 01:54 AM   #26
Metal god

I don't agree that any shooter/shooting is an active shooter . My understanding of the term "active shooter" is someone who continues to shoot all the while looking for more and more targets until they are stopped or kill them selves . A drive by is a one moment one time event , like a robbery , or other shootings where the shooter had one goal and when accomplished they stop shooting .

I think we all know hand gun calibers will cause less damage then a rifle or shotgun so it's not unreasonable to conclude the higher powered firearms would have a higher percentage of fatalities . A 30-06 to the chest is not going to need the same critical shot placement as a 9mm to cause incapacitation .

This graph would confirm the findings that hand guns are used more the any other weapon when it comes to murder .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old August 14, 2015, 04:57 PM   #27
johnwilliamson062

As others stated, my understanding is policy indicates the first responding officer engage the shooter almost everywhere. Even the diamond tactic, where officers wait until four are on scene to engage has been thrown out. The reasoning being almost all shooters seem to retreat or suicide once engaged.

A mass shooting does not enter into my decision to carry. The probability of one occurring in my vicinity is so low it does not come close to justifying carrying on a daily basis. There are a lot of unknown variables that go into what my reaction would be if in that situation.
Old August 17, 2015, 12:45 PM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

FYI - folks - an analysis of the mass shootings:

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter...-1999-2013.pdf

Tags
active , response , school , shooter , statistics