The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 20, 2013, 08:09 PM   #26
Boomer58cal

Even if you vaperized the radiator most cars will drive for several miles. Expecially my 66 bug. plus you ever try to shoot through old german duraglass. Tough stuff.

Boomer
Old June 21, 2013, 03:22 PM   #27
Hawg

Quote:
Even if you vaperized the radiator most cars will drive for several miles.
Same if you just crack the block or shoot thru a valve cover and disable a rocker. Its still gonna run until it overheats. It might not run too sporty with a busted rocker but that wont be enough to stop it. It would take a mighty round indeed to bust an engine bad enough to stop it right there. Even if you put a hole in the oil pan you'd be surprised at how long it will run. I took an old Buick 455 once with a rod knocking and held it to the floor to see how long it took to blow. After about five minutes the rod and parts of the piston came out the side of the block and oil pan but it still ran for several minutes until it seized up from lack of oil.
Old June 21, 2013, 04:10 PM   #28
myusername

This is a job for the .50 BMG.

I manage low rent housing. We have had several drive-bys, two while I was present on the properties, one that I think was directed at me (I'd had a violent, gang involved eviction the day before). When we have active "issues" I keep an AK47 in the car, though it is very unlikely I'd ever use it to return fire, or even have time to access it. But I'd rather drag it around and not need it than not have it if I did.

The drive-bys I witnessed were over almost before anyone realized what was going on. By the time it registers on you that someone is shooting, the car is driving away. About the only time one might reasonably engage in such an event would be if they stopped or returned. Even then you would probably only have time to access whatever was on your person.

That is one reason I carry a .45, it will generally shoot through a car door or window. Even HP will penetrate a door if it doesn't hit a frame member.
Old June 21, 2013, 05:02 PM   #29
WV_gunner

I'm guessing this is relevant, GM claims the Cadillac Northstar can run 30 minutes with no oil before it locks up. It can do it with the ability of turning cylinders off and on. They also make them run crazy rich in this condition. So this would be a tougher car to take out.
Old June 22, 2013, 10:48 AM   #30
Ben Dover

Unless you're military/LE what is the concern with penetration???

A civilian CCW will be shooting "up clos" or "in house."

Deep penetration can a positive for LE, but negative for the rest of us.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.