The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 22, 2011, 08:36 AM   #1
CowTowner

S&W i-Bolt Replacement Stock

Here's the deal, I have a new in the box S&W i-Bolt rifle in 30-06.
I happen to greatly dislike synthetic stocks, which is the only way they were shipped AFAIK. I was hoping to find a laminate wood stock for the rifle at a reasonable price.
I contacted Boyd's, but they have no plans to produce one since there isn't much demand.
I have found a couple of other stock makers via Google and none list a stock for the i-Bolt. I have also found some custom builders but the $$ are too steep for my back pocket.
Anyone know of an after market laminate stock for this rifle that will fit a Boyd's price budget?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 23, 2011, 08:44 AM   #2
CowTowner

Wow. I never would have thunk it....
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 23, 2011, 01:01 PM   #3
Scorch

Richards MicroFit makes semi-finished laminate stocks for just about anything, priced from about $70 to severall hundred $$. Like most stockmakers (as well as S&W), they do not list the i-Bolt for inletting, but you might try calling them.
http://www.rifle-stocks.com/economy_line_styles.htm
Old August 23, 2011, 03:27 PM   #4
CowTowner

Thanks Scorch, They are on the list for further contact.
Old August 24, 2011, 12:11 PM   #5
CowTowner

So the effort in futility goes onward and no where.
None of the aftermarket stock manufacturers I have contacted, Boyd's/Richard's/Stocky's/Wenig have anything for the i-Bolt action and didn't want to discuss it either.
So, how about this: Is there someone in the North Central Texas area that can take a blank and make a stock at a reasonable price? Material would be a Birch laminate and I'd prefer either a copy of the factory or a Monte Carlo style.
Old August 30, 2011, 06:04 AM   #6
CowTowner

OK, a small update from internet research. It seems that the i-Bolt may "share" the same receiver dimensions as the Remington 700. To prove or disprove this, my LGS is going to test fit the S&W action in a Remington take-off stock today. We shall see what happens and I'll pass the results along.
Old August 30, 2011, 12:21 PM   #7
CowTowner

UPDATED INFORMATION!

Just got back from the LGS. The S&W i-Bolt fits with no issues into a Remington 700 BDL Long Action factory wood stock.
The Smithy removed the action, magazine insert and trigger guard from my S&W synthetic stock and everything dropped right into place.

So the solution to anyone wanting to replace the ugly S&W stock on a 30-06 i-Bolt is to get a Remington 700 BDL LA stock and proceed from there. Bedding, free floating, etc..
Old October 3, 2011, 09:22 PM   #8
TXGunNut

'nuther update

Rifle looks good, Cowtowner. Guess I should have taken a picture yesterday.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old October 5, 2011, 07:02 AM   #9
CowTowner

TXGunNut, Let's see if I can add one or link to it. Sorry about the mess on the bench folks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SW_Ibolt_LAMIN.JPG (216.2 KB, 290 views)
Old October 5, 2011, 10:49 AM   #10
Scorch

That looks pretty nice, CowTowner. How about a range report?
Old October 5, 2011, 11:32 AM   #11
CowTowner

The last cold bore shot at 100 yards, done Saturday morning @ 7:30 AM CDT using Hornady 165 grain SPBT factory ammo, hit 1/4" high and 1/4" right of center. It is in the safe and ready for hunting season.
Old October 9, 2011, 11:18 AM   #12
TXGunNut

Messy bench? Mine doesn't usually look anywhere near that neat. I pulled the sock off Boomer for the pic to make it a little purtier.
Guess he's not going to the range after all today. Loving this rain, tho!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cleaning bench 001.jpg (239.6 KB, 117 views)
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:11 AM   #13
Fran221187

S&W I bolt stock

I was wondering, if it fits the 700 bdl la wood stock do you think will for their synthetic stocks.
Old November 30, 2012, 01:01 PM   #14
CowTowner

I see no reason for it not to fit a Remington synthetic stock. As long as the stock is from/for a 700 BDL LA.
The point of my project and search was to get rid of the synthetic stock. I simply don't like them.
But if you want a factory replacement, PM me. I still have my S&W factory take off.