The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 16, 2013, 04:44 AM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

Sen. Joe Manchin (WV) to Support Gun Control

According to this link, NRA endorsed Senator Manchin will support a magazine ban and assault weapons ban. Additionally the link claims the media plans to televise pictures of dead children from Sandy Hook until such a ban is passed:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/142...TH_MORGAN.html

Quote:
Ladies and gentlemen of the WVCDL and West Virginia. Today, around 3PM I met with Senator Manchin. In any conversation with a person of that level of power, there are two conversations that occur at once. The first is the obvious and direct meaning of what is spoken. The second conversation is the meaning between the lines. In this case, neither is good. West Virginia, in my opinion, you have been sold out.

First, let's talk about the direct conversation. It's very simple. Senator Manchin supports a three-pronged approach that includes universal background checks, including private sales. He supports mental health-care reform. And he supports magazine capacity limits, and possibly other restrictions.

Further, he stated to me directly, that he believes 75% of West Virginians, like him, believe that the only purposes behind gun ownership and the second amendment are hunting and recreational shooting. He told me that defense is not an angle he considers or believes in, and that is specifically in the context of defense of self, and defense from tyranny. Perhaps now you understand why I've been too angry to update you on the results of the meeting. In case you're thinking of stopping here, it gets worse.

Senator Manchin told me what the media will do if Congress (including the US House of Representatives) fails to pass an AWB and/or mag restrictions. "They will one, by one, put up pictures of dead children. They will show the carnage." Considering that tomorrow, President Obama will be exploiting children by dragging them on stage with him while he outlays his plan, this is not a huge leap. And these are the words of a United States senator. We, and I don't mean just West Virginians, I mean Americans, must prepare for this. That is a direct quote. Verbatim. We need every talking head in the conservative media out in front of this. Make it happen. Share this post far and wide.

When it became clear that we were not going to find common ground, and that Senator Manchin intends to support magazine capacity limits and other pointless gun-control laws doomed to failure, I told the senator that we would be there. We would be at every single event. We would be at every fund-raiser. We would be there, and the content of our signs would not be pleasant.

And now we get to the second conversation. The one between the lines. When I said we would be there, he said, "there won't be any events."

This confused me. No politician runs for office without fund-raisers and events. And I have to admit, it wasn't I that grasped the meaning of this. I want to be clear, that the following was not stated. This was deduced by a confidant of mine, and I think she is correct. Manchin was honest. There will be no events. Why would a US Senator not need funds? This is because there will be no campaign. Joe Manchin is too young to retire from a position of such power. What does that mean?

West Virginia, this means that Joe Manchin has sold you out. It means that he has accepted some position, likely promised by Barack Obama, to place his boot in your neck in exchange for power.

Now you know. Now you know why for four hours, I was too angry to update you.
Old January 16, 2013, 04:55 AM   #2
Dr Big Bird PhD

*shrug*

there is nothing else to say anymore
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 16, 2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

Hunting should be banned if saves one deer or one birdie.

I have said several time that the fault line to be exploited is the hunter who sees no use for guns for SD or defense against tyranny.

But the 'hunter' claim is then used to say that one supports gun rights as you can go hunting the mighty skeet.

I saw this guy right after the tragedy and he was incoherent on what was this or that type of gun or mag.

He backed himself into a corner and now has to stick with his position - well, if he loses the next election - that's it.
Old January 16, 2013, 01:23 PM   #4
CurlyQ.Howard

Google image this: Sen. Joe Manchin posing with gun. Did Joe lie to the voting public?
Old January 18, 2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Texshooter

can he be removed from office?
Old January 18, 2013, 08:57 AM   #6
CowTowner

^^^ What he asked. A recall election, perhaps?
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 18, 2013, 12:35 PM   #7
vranasaurus

You can't recall federal office holders. Though that would make for an interesting constitutional amendment.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:38 PM   #8
tyme
Staff

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/12/phot...assault-rifle/

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/n...a95c84fdba.jpg
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)

Last edited by tyme; January 18, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old January 18, 2013, 03:55 PM   #9
Shotgun693

Is an act to remove a Right guaranteed by the Constitution an act of treason? If you think it is then impeach him.
Old January 18, 2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Coltman 77

He's what's known as a "Fudd".

And traitor IMO. He can forget being re-elected.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old January 18, 2013, 04:26 PM   #11
Pahoo

It's all about the votes

Quote:
Did Joe lie to the voting public?
Of course he did but be thankful that you now know where he stands and always has. .....

On the other hand, you have that clown; Franken, from Minnesota that refuses to tell us where he stands, either way. He's just waiting for Obama and follow his mandate. Later will claim that he personally did not vote for any ban. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old January 18, 2013, 04:47 PM   #12
Willie Sutton

On the other hand, you have that clown; Franken, from Minnesota that refuses to tell us where he stands,

He told us what he stood for when he was a writer and comedian on Saturday Night Live. It was obvious then, and it's obvious now.

The "people" get exactly what they deserve when they vote for clowns (literally in this case) as their reps.

Willie

Old January 18, 2013, 07:43 PM   #13
BarryLee

I’m concerned that a lot of these pro-2A politicians may cave when Mr. Obama puts the pressure on them.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman

Last edited by BarryLee; January 19, 2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old January 18, 2013, 11:02 PM   #14
jon_in_wv

Hopefully he will get the message tomorrow that he is WRONG.
Old January 19, 2013, 03:00 PM   #15
saltydog452

Representatives

Their job, and continued employment in a lucrative trade, depends on how well they appear to look after the best interests of their constituency.

If they, in rightous zeal, relay 'the voice of the people' as they interpet it, that constituency could well find itself last in line for Highway, Education, Enforcement, etc., grants from D.C.

That isn't a good career move, so they smooch the peanut.

salty
Old January 19, 2013, 11:26 PM   #16
CUBAN REDNECK

For a certain political party, party is above all else...
Old January 20, 2013, 12:17 AM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I’m concerned that a lot of these pro-2A politicians may cave when Mr. Obama puts the pressure on them.
I don't see that the President can really exert any real pressure here. Some legislators are vulnerable in 2014, and they're conscious of the voters' will to some extent. Those who aren't just have to wait out the 2nd term.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:04 AM   #18
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:

I don't see that the President can really exert any real pressure here. Some legislators are vulnerable in 2014, and they're conscious of the voters' will to some extent. Those who aren't just have to wait out the 2nd term.
He may be able to threaten withholding campaign money from those who don't "toe the line". This is, however, assuming that he has campaign money left to withhold as, during the last election, he basically told Congressional Democrats that they were on their own insofar as campaign funding was concerned because he'd be needing all of it for himself (President Obama ran the most expensive campaign in U.S. history). Also, this would only apply to Democrats as Republicans are not getting campaign money from Obama anyway. Being that the Republicans still hold the House and the Democrats do not have a filibuster-proof "super majority" in the Senate, Obama will need Republicans votes to get gun control passed and he really doesn't have anything to threaten Republicans with.

Last edited by tyme; January 20, 2013 at 12:52 PM. Reason: corrected idiom
Old January 20, 2013, 12:20 PM   #19
saltydog452

Mr. Obama and his appointees hold the supply of carrots. The carrots entice the working draft animal to follow. If that happens, the mule gets a bite of the carrot. Everyone is happy.

As an alternative, think Children's Birthday Party, sticks, and a Pinata of goodies falling down.

salty
Old January 20, 2013, 01:24 PM   #20
horatioo

I read an interview with Bill Clinton who said a lot of congress people who supported Clinton's gun ban were not reelected. Clinton said that congress people now should remember this when voting for any anti gun legislation.

Clinton was being pro gun or pro 2nd amendment but just stating a pragmatic truth.