The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 5, 2013, 06:01 PM   #26
medic15al

Short trigger , arched Mainspring housing, and GI Recoil guide/plug as intended...
Old February 5, 2013, 06:34 PM   #27
Kreyzhorse

I replaced the two piece full length guide rod on my Springfield TRP. Why? It did nothing but complicate the break down of the gun. I replaced it with an Ed Brown GI standard length rod and plug and have been very happy with the switch.

A FLGR is a solution in search of a problem in my opinion.
Old February 5, 2013, 07:58 PM   #28
k511

+1 to what krazyhorse said....i did the same with both of my springfields..wasnt anything wrong with the original design, not sure why they tried to modify it
Old February 5, 2013, 08:43 PM   #29
Topsider

Just got a Springfield Armory Range Officer. Not sure if anything needs changed, at this point, except perhaps the grips. As much as I like the look of the standard wood grips, I think rubber might be an improvement in terms of function, if not form.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:25 PM   #30
rmocarsky

Norinco model of the 1911A1.

Had it nickle plated, trijicon night sights and hogue rubber wrap arounds.

And Wilson mags.

The nickel plating made it look soooo tuxedo compared to GI Joe.

Rmocarsky
Old February 5, 2013, 09:41 PM   #31
Taffnevy

Nothing, I ordered it from Wilson Combat exactly how I wanted it.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:07 PM   #32
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffnevy View Post
Nothing, I ordered it from Wilson Combat exactly how I wanted it.
That's not fair. Wilson Combat is the cream of the crop. lol. Enjoy!

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 5, 2013, 10:13 PM   #33
shooter1911

Colt Series 70

Grips-they look good
Gunsite Low Mount Safety-allows my short fingers to use a thumb high grip
Commander Hammer-allows the use of beavertail
Wilson Drop in Beavertail-comfort while shooting
S&A 20 LPI Flat Main Spring Housing-Didn't Like Arched MSH.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 5, 2013, 10:38 PM   #34
gk1

I removed the FLGR, added a flat (steel) MS housing, replaced the MIM hammer and sear with a Cylinder & Slide set, and swapped all of the hex/Allen screws with slotted, like USGI.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:08 PM   #35
Hunter Customs

When it comes to customizing a 1911 I've done just about evrything you can think of to one, visit my website you will see what I'm talking about.

However when it comes to a custom carry gun the one in the picture is pretty much what I like and what many of my customers seem to like.

I like a good front strap treatment for a little more traction on the gun.

I like smooth grips as I carry my guns in tight, this gives less abrasion to me and my clothes.

I want no extended or oversized controls on the gun of any kind.

I prefer small sights on the gun, this one has the small sights very much like the original 1911 sights.
What I've found is the one thing oversized sights will do is guarantee to obscure more of whatever you are shooting at.

I fabricated the thumb safety to also be similar to the original 1911, in my opinion that's the best thumb safety to be used on a carry/fighting gun.

I fabricated the the grip safety to get the hand a little higher on the back of the gun.
This works perfect with a straight thumb under the the thumb safety type grip position.
I also shortened the spur of the grip safety, this makes the gun easier to draw and a little more carry friendly

I like a good reliability package on a gun and action job, tigger pull no lighter the 3.5 pounds.

I opened up and blended the bottom of the mag tunnel, it seems to help with mag changes.

On this gun I shortened the over all height of the hammer and relocated and shortened the hammer spur, one would have to really work at it to get this hammer to bite you.

To enhance the accurracy of the gun I fit a National Match Barrel bushing but stayed with the stock barrel as it locked up and fit good at the rear.

Lowered the ejection port to enhance ejection of the fired cases.

Dehorned the complete gun so the gun's more user friendly.

Regulated and polished all the pins.
The slide stop pin is shorter but maintains a radius on the end and I did not weaken the frame by countersinking the hole the slide stop pin fits in.

I changed the arched mainspring housing out for a flat smooth one.

Actually this gun is a little bit plain Jane compared to some of the custom guns I've built, but it has everything I need and nothing I don't need.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Last edited by Hunter Customs; February 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:59 PM   #36
Tactical Jackalope

Nothing like a Bob Hunter custom shop gun.

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:11 AM   #37
OJ

Replaced sights and lower thumb safeties on original Series 70 - made in 1970 - and "repro" - low serial number looks like it was made in 2002 or 2003. Not really major or expensive - both can print groups at 15 yards that can be covered by one hand - if I do my part -

Spent the afternoon at the range and realized I forgot the most important thing I've added - both have Brown Precision bushings - after some six or seven thousand rounds, the collet bushing broke - and - yes - the jam can't be relieved at the range - Brown bushing prints as good and small a pattern as the collet did. The "repro" wouldn't print much less than the bottom half of the target with its original bushing but, with the Brown bushing - does about as good as the original one printing a pattern that can almost be covered by one hand - might be better since it was windy at the range and some AP guys were shooting motion pics of us and this was the first day I had the chance to test the Brown in the "repro".

I think (hope) they were doing it to offset the loudmouthed anti-gun talk in our current legislature boobs. Pics were taken of the range owner shooting an AK in full auto - and that old geezer (mid 80s) shooting his Colt Government Model 45 ACP pistols (Yeah - me).
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old February 6, 2013, 01:22 AM   #38
Auto426

I changed the plastic grips on my Colt 1991 for wood grips with medallions. I haven't changed anything on my Colt/Talo CCO. They work just fine as they are, and since they're not broke I'm not gonna fix 'em.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:54 AM   #39
TBT

SIG C3 came from the factory near perfect and has been 100% reliable and accurate.

I'll probably switch out the grips to keep the factory wood nice but other than that I don't see much room for improvement.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:10 AM   #40
softouch

I have shot, because I had some cartridges & cleaned mine, because it got dirty Wilson Combat CQB Elite

SWMBO wanted one, & the only thing she has done is shoot. I clean it cause she got it dirty Nighthawk LadyHawk

softouch
Old February 6, 2013, 08:22 AM   #41
Scout

I have a AO 1911 A1 that's about as bare bones as one gets. I like it that way, but I have to admit that those combat sights are getting a bit tough for me to pick out lately.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:33 AM   #42
Ben Towe

Nothing. It did come factory with Trijicon night sights. I am considering some Crimson Trace Master Series laser grips.

Sig Sauer Platinum Elite 1911.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:35 AM   #43
Double Naught Spy

I put thin grips on my 1911s because they allow me to reach the controls without significantly changing my grip. On my 1911s without a checkered front strap, I add skateboard tape to improve the grip.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:00 AM   #44
Dashunde

What have you done to your 1911.. and WHY?

Sold all of them.
Why? More stoppages from each 1911 than from all of my other pistols combined, and the 45's were shot less due to ammo costs.

although, I'd sure like to have a nice 9mm 1911 for he range.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:44 AM   #45
g.willikers

Here's an easy modification for reducing trigger travel if yours suffers from it.
Check to see if the top of the disconnector is too small for the hole in the frame.
If it is, or if the hole has been drilled at an angle, the disconnector can rock forward and cause a lot of trigger slop.
An oversized one can cure it and greatly improve the trigger, without messing with anything else.
Old February 6, 2013, 01:08 PM   #46
RickB

Quote:
More stoppages from each 1911 than from all of my other pistols combined
Why didn't you just get them fixed?
Old February 6, 2013, 02:02 PM   #47
k511

every time i see one of those Bob Hunter customs i just drool.....fine craftsmanship sir.
Old February 6, 2013, 07:27 PM   #48
Tucker 1371

Put new grips on my Colt Rail Gun, liked the way the stock wood ones looked better but they were too thick for my hands, put some Ergo XT grips on it, they fit my hands great and are nice and grippy, just not so purdy.

Before

After

Edit-

It's pretty doggone accurate in my hands and has yet to jam no matter what I feed it to include JHPs and steel cased ammo (200 rounds no cleaning, just lube) but I'm itching to do something to it. I'm a firm believer in if it ain't broke don't fix it but for some reason I'm itching to add something to it. Anyone have suggestions? Don't want to thread jack so PM me.
OEF 2011 Sangin, Afg. Molon Labe

Last edited by Tucker 1371; February 6, 2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:06 PM   #49
tomrkba

Quote:
More stoppages from each 1911 than from all of my other pistols combined
Quote:
Why didn't you just get them fixed?
Why bother? You're dumping money into a gun that should already be working. Wait times are long for good gunsmiths and I've played the "fix it, test, take it back" game too many times. I added up my receipts several 1911's ago and found that I had spent over $5,500 in guns, range fees, trips to the range (gas calculated based upon distance and the number of trips in the log), ammo, reloading compoents, gunsmithing fees, shipping, and tax. For that, I could have had a very nice 1911 from Heirloom Precision, a stack of mags and a case of ammo.

I can dump the 1911 and get a SIG P220 that will work out of the box. The gun costs at most $650 used and the remaining money can be used for mags and ammo. It's a no brainer unless you like playing the 1911 game. If you're going to do it, buy high end. Otherwise, you're going to have to be willing to play the 1911 game. I find it annoying, so I stopped playing.

The one 1911 that I did like wasn't even a 1911: the Springfield Armory EMP. It required two trips back to the factory in order to get past the first 600-700 rounds. It didn't even function out of the box and the firing pin occasionally hit brass and primer. The glued in ejector came out and disabled the gun. SACS pinned it back in and it was good to go after that. But, it's a Glock 19 sized gun that holds fewer rounds than a Glock 26. It's nice, but not $1150 plus several trips to Fex EX nice.

Last edited by tomrkba; February 6, 2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:58 PM   #50
Blue Duck

The main things that I prefer on my 1911's, are arched mainspring housings, short triggers, and because I am left handed, I always install ambi-safetys.

Sights I am not too picky about, as I have different guns with different types of sights for different uses. Oh! I almost forgot, I usually replace the grips with Wilson Coco Bolo checkered grips, as I like a good quality grip, plus they always have the right cutout in them for the ambi-safety.

I only replace other parts if they break or malfunction. MIM parts are a good example of items that sometimes fail.

All of my 1911's are very reliable, but if there was an issue, like an extractor that need adjusting or replacing I would of course replace it.