The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 5, 2012, 01:23 PM   #1
spacecoast

Would your wife do this for you?

We spent most of the holidays in Pa and I took along the old 870 Wingmaster 12-gauge home defense shotgun with the idea that I would get my wife used to shooting it with some very light 7/8 oz. loads. She blasted a few cans off a fallen tree and learned how the gun works, and how to load it and operate the safety, but she wasn't too keen on the shooting part of it (she's very recoil sensitive). However, she seemed very happy to hand-toss clay pigeons for me and we had a great time anyway.
Old January 5, 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
zippy13

My wife isn't a fan of shotgun shooting, but she's a better pistol shot than I am. She doesn't toss targets, but she's spent countless weekends cashiering Skeet tournaments.
Old January 5, 2012, 03:00 PM   #3
oneounceload

I bought my wife a nice 28 gauge O/U and she had me get rid of it for a 12 semi Beretta. She has also laid claim to my G26 AND my P7 - which she gave ME for my birthday..................
Old January 5, 2012, 03:02 PM   #4
tacticalmedic

My Wife has done all of that AND has bought me guns. She is a keeper!
Old January 5, 2012, 03:32 PM   #5
highvel

My wife gave me the 2012 Gun Buyers Guide for Christmas and in front of the family said "if you see something in there you want go ahead and buy it"!

I'm still not sure how to take that one

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old January 5, 2012, 05:22 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

Last Xmas my wife begrudgingly let me buy a 12 gauge Remington 870 Express. She still won't even try to shoot it, but I got her to take 4 shots with a soft shooting 20 gauge semi on Father's Day. For a combination BDay and Xmas gift this year she let me get a 12 gauge Citori XS Skeet. She wants me to get a pistol for her to shoot.
Old January 5, 2012, 05:23 PM   #7
markj

My wife is a shooter herself, also a motorcycle rider (has her own) is a Volunteer firefighter, an EMS, teaches college biology and works full time at a hospital as a resp therapist she usually can hit 5 out of 5 on a good day. She also can hit the bullseye with the handguns.

Marry well and you will live a happy life.
Old January 5, 2012, 05:47 PM   #8
PawPaw

My wife came into the marriage with her own handgun and shotgun. She doesn't shoot much, but she knows how. She also told me last year "You better start picking up rifles when you see a good deal on them. The grandkids are getting older, and they'll want to hunt with you."

I'm following her recommendation and picking up rifles when I see a good deal on them. I make sure they shoot, work up a load for them, then put them in the locker for when the grandkid is ready for it.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old January 7, 2012, 02:46 AM   #9
scotts_4x

No, she'd be shooting the pigeons as I'm throwing them for her!

-scott
Old January 7, 2012, 03:05 AM   #10
Ricklin

Happy wife........Happy life.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Sgt.Fathead

My wife is a tiny little bit of a thing. Bought her a Mossy 590A1 nine-shot with the ghost ring sights and six-position stock for a wedding gift (as well as a nice watch). She wants a 7.62mm AR platform, too. She also likes shooting clays with a rented Beretta O/U 12 gauge.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:13 PM   #12
3kgt2nv

my wife has shot all of my guns up to my .458 and never said anything. Xmas day 2011 she told me i could get a mcmillen tac-50 for myself. i cant wait to see her shoot a 50 cal.
Old January 7, 2012, 08:17 PM   #13
SWAMPUS

Loving Wife

Mine doesn't shoot,but last Nov. I went bird hunting in OK.and at end of 2nd day,I called her to tell I was leaving in am,she told me since I was having such a good time I should stay another day.She earned herself a fishing trip to St.Johns river for crappie!Bless her heart!
Old January 10, 2012, 11:47 AM   #14
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast
We spent most of the holidays in Pa and I took along the old 870 Wingmaster 12-gauge home defense shotgun with the idea that I would get my wife used to shooting it with some very light 7/8 oz. loads.
Where do you find 7/8 oz loads in 12 gauge? Who makes them, or are you reloading?
Old January 10, 2012, 05:45 PM   #15
spacecoast

Quote:
Where do you find 7/8 oz loads in 12 gauge?
They are standard Remington Game and Target Loads, I found them at Dick's

Old January 10, 2012, 08:45 PM   #16
oneounceload

OUCH!
1390 fps?
Kemen sells a 7/8 oz load at 1200 and one at 1300
Winchester also has light 7/8 oz trainer loads at under 1000 fps

All of those will be kinder than ones that are super fast
Old January 10, 2012, 09:25 PM   #17
Deja vu

My wife shoots my 12ga. Al long as the loads are not too heavy she does really well. We take turns manning the skeet thrower

She really likes to shoot the Pink target loads because they are for a good cause.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 10, 2012, 10:13 PM   #18
Red Dog

No she would not!!!!!!!
Old January 10, 2012, 11:42 PM   #19
Edward429451

Sure she would. Our first Date was to go shooting 22's down by the river, and the last gun she bought for me was a FA 83 454...

Rub her feet.
Old January 12, 2012, 11:32 AM   #20
wingspar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecoast
They are standard Remington Game and Target Loads, I found them at Dick's
Thanks for the info. I’m very new to shotguns and knew nothing about shells when I bought a couple of boxes of the stuff pictured below the day I bought my used Wingmaster. 5 rounds caused neck problems, a trip to the Dr and an MRI on my neck. Apparently I have some arthritis in my neck I wasn’t aware of, and the shotgun irritated it. I have the OK to shoot it, and did put 3 shells thru it a couple of days ago, and had a sore shoulder for a day and a half afterwards. After days and says of searching, I found some 1 oz loads at 980 fps. Should be delivered tomorrow. I see by the velocity of your 7/8 oz loads that they probably kick about the same as my 1 1/8 oz loads. I’d like to find some 7/8 oz loads at 980 fps, but it sounds like I’d either have to take up hand loading (not likely) or sell it and step down to a 20 gauge.

Last time I shot it, I put one shell thru it, then changed out the stock recoil pad for a new Limbsaver, and took two more shots. I had trouble telling any difference between the stock recoil pad and the Limbsaver. The package claims 70% reduced felt recoil. Almost everyone says it helps, but I can not say I felt much difference. A vest, a shoulder pad, and much reduced shells are all things I’m going to try. I have a video of me taking the shot, changing pads, and shooting again with my on the spot opinion on the Limbsaver if anyone is interested. It’s a short video.

Old January 12, 2012, 11:46 AM   #21
HALL,AUSTIN

Yes, she sure would.

I give her massages, cook dinner, and clean her .22, in return she cleans the house and dishes, buys me anniversary ammo (gave me 75 3inch #4buck this year ) and even names all my guns for me : ) She also usually caves when my gunitis acts up.
Old January 12, 2012, 07:35 PM   #22
chilton1990

good shot

Well, she's not my wife....but my girlfriend enjoys shooting clays.

Me, my girl, and a few friends bought a few boxes of clays and spent the day target shooting. Kate (my girlfriend) acted interested, so I showed her how to hold the shotty (it was her first time shooting one) and how to shoot ahead of the clay to hit it. I pulled the cord and blam!.....dear God she hit it on the first try. She's a great shot, she hit 10 clays in a row before she missed one!
Old January 16, 2012, 10:16 PM   #23
rickb2202

wife

yep... my first exwife was a real dandy when she was in her 20s. used to shag birds all day long in the heat. dove season was espically hard on her, september can be really hot on the texas border, not to mention rattlesnakes... but as the years went by and she began to complain about shagging birds... well i just had to replace her with a lab. the dog doesn't bitch about anything, wreck the car, or any of the crap my ex did.
Old January 17, 2012, 10:33 AM   #24
spacecoast

wingspar -

Sorry to hear about your sore shoulder. I have a Limbsaver on my 870 and it does seem to help some. I took a SD shotgun class and in a half-day we took about 150 shots including 20 or so slugs (some prone) and maybe 30 rounds of buckshot. I was a bit sore the next day but nothing to get excited about. Fun class.

I'll have to look for some lower velocity loads for my wife, if I can get her back behind ol' Mister Twelve.
Old January 17, 2012, 10:55 AM   #25
kraigwy

I use to shoot a lot of skeet and trap at least three times a week not counting matches. I was working swings at the time, 4 to 2 am. My wife would stay up after putting the kids to bed and reload my shells for my next days shooting.

I was shooting a 12 ga over and under, Single trigger, the recoil from the first shot cocked the action for the second shot.

I started using winchester paper shells with a paper wad built into the base of the shell, 1 oz shot, and a 2 3/4 dram load. It was so light it wouldn't cock the barrel.

I was also a LE firearm instructor at the time and I was task with working with problem officers who couldn't get the knack of our dept. 870s because of recoil. I used the same load to work with then until I got them to qualify. The light loads allowed them to work with a technique where the buck shot and slugs wouldn't bother them too much.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071