The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2005, 04:55 PM   #1
MatchGrade

How do I know I'm getting the gun I paid for?

I just purchased a REM 870P. How do I know for sure that its new and the Police version?
Old September 16, 2005, 04:57 PM   #2
spacemanspiff

faith.
Old September 16, 2005, 05:02 PM   #3
MatchGrade

Faith -- thats it?? That's all you can offer when I need reassurance. Where's my mom.
Old September 16, 2005, 05:03 PM   #4
spacemanspiff

faith is the 'assured expectation of things hoped for but not yet beheld'.
Old September 16, 2005, 06:22 PM   #5
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Mine are stamped Police on the side---if that helps.
-------Metallica
Old September 16, 2005, 06:54 PM   #6
MatchGrade

I bought the 870P 4910 --- with the bead sights. I'm wondering if I should have paid more and gone for the Ghost Ring.
Old September 16, 2005, 07:13 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

A genuine 870P Police gun will be prominently stamped "Remington 870 Police Magnum" on the left side of the receiver.

It will have an aluminum trigger group, usually a parkerized finish, and a short police-length forearm.

If it's new, it'll LOOK new.
The finish will be unworn, there will be no marks on the bolt face indicating it was fired, the inside of the barrel will be clean with no traces of lead or plastic from shot cups.

In will be packed in a green Remington cardboard box with an end label listing the model number and serial number.

If you rub the parkerized finish, you should get traces of a brown rusty looking stain.

This is the coating of cosmoline that Remington sprays the Police guns with as a shipping and storage preservative.

NOTE: You need to remove this cosmoline coating before using the gun. Cosmoline is a storage coating ONLY and in use the metal will rust.

Remington advises to disassemble the gun, including the magazine and spray it dripping wet, inside and out, with Rem-Oil or CLP Breakfree.

Let soak 30 minutes to dissolve the cosmoline, then wipe off the excess lube and reassemble.

This will flush off the cosmoline and impregnate the rough parkerized finish with a rust-proofing lube.

I personally use CLP Breakfree.
Old September 16, 2005, 07:20 PM   #8
MatchGrade

I'm not sure of the model they ordered -- I told them 870P 6+1. How many guns does that description fit?
Old September 17, 2005, 01:05 AM   #9
Dfariswheel

Unless they ordered a gun with extras like rifle sights or the Speedfeed stock with the internal spare ammo storage you probably got a standard gun with an extension.

In the latest guns a wood stock with the extension is the 4903

In the synthetic stock--the 4421

If you got a 4910, you got a gun made about a year or so ago.
The only real difference between the 4910 and the latest guns is, the new guns have the Remington R3 "super" recoil pad, and stocks made by the Speedfeed company.

Whatever, you'll be well pleased.

http://www.remingtonle.com/