The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2012, 08:07 AM   #1
tpcollins

Lee Reloading customer service

I have (4) Lee dies to do my reloading. Awhile back I decided to try some .243 loads with a different powder and was going to run the cases thru the full sizer - the instructions said to screw it in until it touches the shell plate then 1/4 turn more. Then it dawned on me I have to lube the cases with the FL sizer, so I switched over to the collet neck sizer but only screwed it in the same 1/4 turn instead of the recomended 2 turns for my press. And when the press toggled over it pushed the cap right out of the top. Wanting to keep reloading I pushed the cap back down, drilled holes in the top sides of the housing, tapped some threads and inserted two set screws to hold the cap in. Screwed the die back in plus only a 1/4 of a turn and ripped the sides of the die out.

I sent an email to Lee asking if I could buy a new housing and cap to replace the one I destroyed. They said to return it back to them and they would replace it. I got it back yesterday - an entirely brand new .243 collet die.

That's pretty good customer service if you ask me.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:14 AM   #2
whitedogone

My experence with Lee CS has been excellent.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Ca Lunker

Customer Service

As a whole the shooting industry seems to have the best customer service of any business segment. Any time I've contacted RCBS, Weaver, etc.. for problems I've always come away amazed at the service I received. I only wish other business segments would be as responsive. Its good to hear Lee stepped up for you.
Old March 4, 2012, 08:45 AM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Yup. I called EGW (Evolution Gun Works) and told them I had one screw back out on my 20 minute bases and they sent me 4 new ones for free. Good people.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old March 4, 2012, 08:54 AM   #5
lah2420

I was impressed when I emailed Lee to ask about the turret press and the Pro 1000 when I was trying to decide which one to buy. After a couple of emails back and forth, they recommended the Classic turret for my type of reloading. Most places would have gone with their more expensive model. A friend did get the Pro 1000 for his .223. When it did not work very well right out of the box, they had him send it in and they set it up for him along with upgrading some parts that they thought would help. He loves it now.
Old March 4, 2012, 11:49 PM   #6
Sevens

For the OP, I would have to agree -- excellent customer service. You improperly used the die, broke it, then severely altered it and then contacted the manufacturer and they replaced it completely?! You were given terrific service! (not saying you shouldn't have done that... I know the feeling of wanting to do the work RIGHT NOW and making the best of the situation) but I would think that most companies would have simply had to say, "uhh, sorry, but you destroyed our product-- twice, hard to reimburse you for that"

They definitely did right by you. Appreciate you sharing the experience.