The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2000, 07:42 PM   #1
Postman

I am purchasing a Wilson Combat Border Patrol this month and am torn between going with the ghost ring they offer and the traditional bead. I have spoken to them and I can opt for the bead with no trouble and at substantial savings.

I'm not doing this to save money, my concern is for the durability of the front site and the necessity of the whole setup.

This would be a home defense gun primarly, posibly a shooting sport gun if I ever get around to looking into the sport.

I would like opinions from those of you who have used ghost rings adn thos of you who havn't.
Old May 16, 2000, 09:07 PM   #2
Jeff, CA

Right. Practice. Know your weapon.

I personally don't consider a bead sight a liability. FWIW, I've shot one-hole groups at 50 yards from braced kneeling with "Brand-X" slugs with my bead-sighted Mossberg 590. If I can do it, anyone can. It just takes some practice.

Old May 16, 2000, 09:24 PM   #3
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

I'm with Eric on the GR site. Love mine (MMC). Much faster to get on target with, at least for me. I've tried with just a bead and my "patterns" are quit larger.
Old May 17, 2000, 04:41 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good work can be done with a bead. It's easier for most folks to do well with a peep sight.With practice(essential in any case) and at HD ranges, a bead will do.

As soon as the range opens up tho, the peep becomes obviously the better setup.
Old May 17, 2000, 08:16 AM   #5
Shawn Dodson

For home defense I believe a bead sight is very good. For extended distances with slugs I prefer rifle sights fitted directly on the barrel as opposed to a ghost ring on the receiver and a front sight on the barrel.

------------------
/s/ Shawn Dodson
Firearms Tactical Institute
http://www.firearmstactical.com

Old May 17, 2000, 10:00 AM   #6
Glamdring

Go with the sight. If money isn't the issue what do you loose with it?

Before I put sights on my 12 gauge I could put slugs in the K zone of target at 50 yards . With sights I can do head shots, with a rest.

Just my $.02
Old May 17, 2000, 10:03 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Shawn, if you wouldn't mind explaining, why do you prefer the sights on the bbl vs a receiver sight?

On an 18" bbl, sight radius is little more than handgun length. Moving the rear back to the receiver almost doubles the distance, aiding accuracy a lot and speed a bit,IMO.

Here in Md, I've been using a peep for deer for decades,and the results have been positive.
Old May 18, 2000, 11:41 AM   #8
SEAN WILLIAMS

PostMan: on my Mossberg 500A, I opted for the MMC ghost ring set up, however I have the banded front sight also made by MMC and at this time, I have decided to leave the front bead on. I figure I would rather knock the front sight around, than off. In case I do knock the front sight around,or Lord forbid, off, I still have the front bead as a reference to realign it. The bead sight is fine, and as with all things worthwhile, it just takes more time and ammo to be proficient at longer ranges. I also feel that ghost rings and electronic sights are a natural progression towards gaining enhanced accuracy out of this versatile tool.
Old May 18, 2000, 07:55 PM   #9
Postman

Well I've made my decision, I picked up the Border Patrol with ghost ring sights, a side saddle and the black armor tuff finish. I fidure that if the Wilson sights prove to be flimsy, I can always replace them with the MMC set. Now I just have to wait eight weeks for them to build the gun.
Old May 19, 2000, 05:40 AM   #10
Ned Roundtree

Ghost ring sights, good decision. You won't regret. Front post also has tritium inset.