The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Housezealot

Learning to reload

I just (sadly) was glad to pay 24 bucks a piece for a couple of boxes of .357 WINclean, becuse that was the first .357 I have seen that cheap lately, could not even find any .40 target ammo. I know next to nothing about reloading, how does a guy get started and how much does it cost (approx) to get the basics?
any advice would be appreciated and needed, thanks

Last edited by Housezealot; April 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old April 2, 2009, 10:54 AM   #2
Sevens

...and visit the Handloading and Reloading forum right here on TFL.
There are STICKY TOPICS at the top of the H&R forum that will also help you to get rolling.

Quick warning-- you know the big problem everyone is having finding ammo? Well, it's the same for component bullets, powder, primers, and especially, reloading tools and equipment.
Old April 2, 2009, 10:59 AM   #3
Housezealot

thanks, I had not cosidered I would have a hard time with reloading supplies, I guess that should have been obvious to me
Old April 2, 2009, 11:37 AM   #4
Sixer

I'll give you my .02 cents and experience in getting started... I did quite a bit of asking and reading before getting an idea of what I needed to get set up. This was all new to me so I started with the basics. I knew that I needed a press for starters... I was on a budget so a progressive setup was out of the question. I decided on a Lee Turret Press which IMHO is the next best thing. From there I began my search.

The plan was to slowly aquire the components I needed as my budget allowed. I looked everywhere from gun forums, newspapers, e-bay, and finally Craig's list. I ended up getting very lucky with an ad I found on Craig's List. A gentleman was selling ALL of his reloading equiptment nearby and he happened to have a Lee Turret press in the mix. His asking price for everything was $400 which was not in my budget at the time. I told him I would take the press and anything else he was willing to part with for $200.

I walked away with a Lee Turret press, multiple sets of dies and turrets, a hand primer, auto-disk powder measure, a scale, calipers, shellholders, lube pad, reloading blocks, case trimmer, bullet puller, reloading manuals, 8lbs of powder, 500 223 cases, 2000 small pistol and small rifle primers, and a bunch of various odds and ends for reloading! I was pumped! It took me about a week to figure out what the heck I had just bought though

So I thought I was all set. I sold the dies that i didn't need, sold the scale to upgrade to a digital one, sold the powder measure to upgrade, and sold the remaining random stuff for supplies I still needed.

That was about 2 months ago and I just recently aquired everything I need to start cranking out rounds. I still have a decent sized list of supplies that I need to buy, including a tumbler. I found out fairly quick that there is ALWAYS something else you need.

That being said, I am so glad I got into reloading. It's a great way to kill time and a rewarding hobby in itself. Despite my good find, it definitely hasn't been cheap to get started, but It is already starting to pay for itself.

I guess my advice would be to decide on what you want, start with the basics, and acquire what you need as you go. Also, shoot a PM to 73-Captain here on TFL. The guy knows everything there is to know about reloading and I'm sure he would be happy to help you out. Good Luck!

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old April 2, 2009, 12:32 PM   #5
chicharrra

screw paying for a book

http://www.reloadammo.com/ Free info on how to reload!!! Google "how to reload ammunition" for Tons of free info. you can always check Wiki as well
Old April 2, 2009, 02:18 PM   #6
73-Captain

Dangerous and stupid

You might be able to learn how to reload from an internet souce.

Not having at least one printed source of reloading data available to compare internet data to is DANGEROUS.

Suggesting someone else do something dangerous is STUPID!

"screw paying for a book".

The only one you are screwing is yourself.

"you can always check Wiki as well".

Doesn't sound very smart either.

C.