The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 10, 2008, 08:06 PM   #1
bob88144

looking for a .308 rifle

I am looking to buy a new rifle for hunting. I am in Georgia, so shot target range is really a maximum at about 200 yards. I am use to hunting with a tradition rifle platform: long stock and barrel, level or bolt actions, with a scope or iron sight, nothing to fancy just a hunting rifle. i already on a marlin 30-30 lever action and a shot gun

I started looking at new rifles in about November and have seen some nice rifles. Best friend has a Ruger Mark II or Hawkeye .308 and i have shot it a couple of times and really like it but i started noticing a trend in people using AR style platforms for hunting. I was really intrigued by that. so i started looking into it.

I guess my question for you guys is what to go with? A traditional rifle, bolt action preferably, or a AR style. I know that the AR style is more expensive. and i am not willing/able to go and throw over $2000 into a rifle.

i like the Remington, but that can be a little pricey for a traditional rifle. but i know that they are good, accurate rifles. but i have not heard to much about the savage, howa, tikka until recently. i like the detachable magazines that come with the browning though. picking a new rifle makes you fill like a kid in a candy store.

I want the rifle to be a .308. i Just a caliber i like. any thoughts, questions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Old December 11, 2008, 12:48 AM   #2
onthejon55

well im not the most experienced guy on here but i do own a browning A-bolt in .30-06 and i love it! the detachable mag is great and makes cleaning easier. i wud stick with the bolt action platform because you can buy 3-4 used bolt actions rifles of different calibers for the price of one semi auto.
Old December 11, 2008, 02:01 PM   #3
Cigar

I am in the same boat... I have a older Ruger M77 270 and I love it...

I still would like to have a new deer rifle for next year... I had a Ruger #1 in a 257 wby and sold it, thing was so loud I got a flinch.. I was one gorgeous custom gun... It had a mussel break on it...The only gun that rang my ears for days after I shot a deer with it...

I am thinking about a Rugar # 1 in an 30/06 or 308...

I hope this helps..Just throwing that out .
Old December 11, 2008, 02:11 PM   #4
FrontSight

Buy a Savage bolt action; you won't be disappointed!

Last edited by FrontSight; December 11, 2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old December 11, 2008, 03:54 PM   #5
Death from Afar

To be honest there is not much between rifles from good, established brands. If i was going to get a bolt gun i would undoubtably get a Tikka or a Sako.
Old December 11, 2008, 04:46 PM   #6
Buzzcook

Check out the CZ American they're medium price good quality.
Old December 11, 2008, 08:25 PM   #7
siv

+1 for Scrap5000
Old December 11, 2008, 08:45 PM   #8
BradF

I have a couple of Ruger MKII's. The first one I got is a 7mm Rem Mag. I killed quite a few deer with it. My other one is same rifle in 30-06. I like the '06 better. I think it's more versatile, plus if you ever go to (insert any little town in any state) on a paid hunt and lose your ammo, most any store that sells any gun supply will have a box of 30-06 ammo. My last bolt action rifle purchase was a .17HMR. After much talking to by the gun salesman I reluctantly bought a Savage cause they make a left handed bolt, and I shoot left handed. I had a Savage 22-250 about 15 years ago, and it was a certified piece of junk. The .17HMR is a nice rifle. It's cheap, but it is tack driving accurate and the accutrigger is awesome. If I had bought the Savage .17 before I got the Ruger, my '06 would be a Savage. They make some nice looking higher end (for them) guns. I would sure recommend spending as much on the scope as you do the rifle.
Old December 11, 2008, 09:20 PM   #9
cookhj

Savage or maybe an FN PBR.

For semiautos check out a 16" barrel FAL. Put a low power scope on it and it'll be fine for deer and hogs out to 200 yds
Old December 11, 2008, 09:54 PM   #10
publius

I've always been a Remington man but my next rifle will be CZ. Great looking, great trigger, and more accurate than new Remington's for the most part.
Old December 16, 2008, 03:47 PM   #11
wisecupg

Tikka T3 Lite

Just bought a Tikka T3 Lite Stainless .308 at Cabela's for $469, Sidney Nebraska.
It has shot every round I've reloaded through it at 1 moa or better. 110's, 152's, 168's. The action and gun are slick. I did put a limbsaver on it. The gun does kick due to it's lite weight.

I did have to put med rings on it to mount Mueller 8x25 Tactical scope.

I also have a Savage 300wsm and a Savage BB .22-250. They both shoot extremely accurate.

Wyoming . . .

http://community.webshots.com/user/wyomingoutdoors

Last edited by wisecupg; December 16, 2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: edit
Old December 16, 2008, 05:40 PM   #12
Beretta16

The DPMS and Remington AR style .308's are excellent rifles. DPMS makes the Remingtons for them, but the Remingtons cost about $200 more, so if you don't care about camo get the DPMS. I owned one and it was sub-moa accurate and the majority of them are. I only put a few rounds downrange, but it was reliable, and I actually shot one group with all through the same ragged hole, about a .5" spread. That was with a 16" barrel. They are accurate, reliable, rugged, and comfortable. I had the 16" version to spare some weight in the stand. The weight is really the only downside to these rifles. Recoil is nothing, it feels like you're shooting a bolt .223. I can't say enough good things about them and I am sure you would love it for hunting. If they are still around in a few years I will be picking up an 18" fluted barrel version for precision shooting and whitetail hunting.
Old December 17, 2008, 11:41 AM   #13
Cigar

wisecupg what is a limbsaver ???
Old December 18, 2008, 09:33 AM   #14
sureshots

ICON

TC ICON Bolt action,many features taken from other classic rifles. Very accurate out of the Box.
Old December 18, 2008, 11:49 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I guess that I'd go with a good traditional hunting setup first. The old deal of one with which you can get "all married up" and that becomes an old pet.

The AR-type can always be added later.
Old December 18, 2008, 12:09 PM   #16
sholling

I've looked at the Remington R-25 in 308 and it kind of heavy for my taste. I still want one. But they ain't light. If I were to pick an AR platform/cartridge for what you are trying to do I'd go with 6.8 SPC in a Stag Model 7 (~$1100), but that's another topic.

Depending on what the country is like Tikka, Savage or Howa will all do fine. The Tikka will be the lightest, have the smoothest action, and the best synthetic stock. It will also tie or top the Savage for trigger pull and accuracy. All Tikkas are sub MOA and not quite everyone likes Savage's AccuTrigger (I happen to like it) and the pure single stage Tikka Trigger is owner adjustable from 2-4lbs. If you're in rough terrain or trekking up and down hills you'll grow to love the Tikka's light weight. Note though that all Tikkas are long action. You can buy them in .308 but since it's already a long action may as well go 30-06 - your call. I own two Tikkas.

Howas are inexpensive, rugged, and reliable, and plenty accurate. Their downfall is their weight, at least a full pound heavier than a Tikka, and the too flexible stock. But as long as you don't put excessive pressure on the forearm thats a non-issue. I own two Howas.

Just a thought, if in thick country you may want to look at the 2N1 youth version of the Howa or the very hard to find Big Boar version of the Tikka. Both have shorter (~20") barrels, and the Howa 2N1 youth comes with two sizes of stocks.

Bottom line as an owner of both Howa and Tikka rifles I love both but prefer my Tikkas.

Quote:
Cigar..... wisecupg what is a limbsaver ???
A Limbsaver is a brand of super effective recoil pad. Highly recommended for light weight or excessively powerful rifles.

Last edited by sholling; December 18, 2008 at 12:24 PM.
Old December 18, 2008, 12:17 PM   #17
johnwilliamson062

Just do the extremely intelligent thing and purchase an encore. You will be so happy with it when you get to your second or third barrel.
Old December 18, 2008, 10:55 PM   #18
Fremmer

Here's an idea: get a Browing BAR in .308 Winchester. Semi-auto for quick follow up shots in the brush, in a gas-operated semi that's made for hunting.
Old December 19, 2008, 06:05 AM   #19
fxdrider

Answer: What is a Limbsaver?

Quote:
wisecupg what is a limbsaver ???
I'll answer: A Limbsaver, as the name applies to the firearms industry, is one very nice recoil pad. They also make products for Archery, such as string silencers, and other vibration reducing products Here's a link to their site:

http://www.limbsaver.com/

You can also buy their stuff from the usual suppliers, like Midway, Cabela's, Gander Mountain, heck I've even some a limited selection at Walmart.

Oops! Sorry - didn't see that sholling already answered on this.
Old December 19, 2008, 06:35 AM   #20
duckman3279

cz 550 varmint. I have one they come with bull barrel and single set trigger witch is awsome. With the mauser style bolt, you can't go wrong. Good price, shoot straight, and great customer service!
Old December 20, 2008, 09:27 PM   #21
Cigar

Thanks Guys...