The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 5, 2007, 04:47 PM   #26
biglabsrule

Quote:
like the MP5. So reliable and you can put a small burst on target so easily.

Even though its 9mm,
There is a 10mm varient... I've fired one on full auto, think it was FBI...
Old December 8, 2007, 06:56 PM   #27
ERT Trauma

The SWAT team I work with carry suppressed MP5s & 1911s. Were are picking up 2 FA M16/M4s. If I were to carry a rifle it would be a 10inch M4. Don't trust 9mm with all the armor out there. JMHO
Old December 8, 2007, 11:42 PM   #28
The Man

The Hitman

We Have Two Colt And Two MP5.
Old December 12, 2007, 05:23 AM   #29
Scriz

We rotate M16/M4s throughout the department. We are trained with them on semi, never auto. They said the auto's are cheaper than the Army's version of the M4 with 3 round bursts, which is why they get auto's. Weird, you'd think auto's were more expensive.
Old December 12, 2007, 09:16 AM   #30
f8lranger4x4

You bet Ours do
Old December 12, 2007, 07:20 PM   #31
suppressed_shooter

The cops I have trained are all issued fully automatic weapons. Of course, I've been training Afghan cops for the last year and a half, and their standard issue is one of several AK subtypes.

I have been told, but have not confirmed, that some, if not all, of the officers in one of my neighboring suburbs (Tigard, OR) carry MP-5s in the trunks. Semi-auto only unless a SGT or above unlocks the auto setting with some sort of a key that resembles a handcuff key. This is anecdotal only, though, not sure how reliable the information is.
Old January 6, 2008, 12:04 PM   #32
Tatsumi67

I've actually interviewed (long story,gunsmithing project) the Glock armorer and Emegency Response Team (the local SWAT equivelent) member, and they are actually using Single Fire Only MP5s, because keeping anything else around or in patrol cars is too much of a security risk. They did have a few psuedo M4s (modified M16s bought from the national guard) that were full auto, but honestly it seemed unnecessary.

P.S. Im in Minneapolis.
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old January 6, 2008, 04:37 PM   #33
parrothead2581

You betcha. MP5.
Old January 9, 2008, 08:45 PM   #34
YukonKid

not here, all regular cops carry glocks or 1911's with shottys in the cars, i did some ride alongs to see if it was something i wanted to do. Our SWAT teams probably do though.
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
Old January 12, 2008, 08:24 AM   #35
Edmond

The Colt 635 is a great gun!

Old January 12, 2008, 10:43 PM   #36
SteelCore

I have a hard time imagining how LE would ever need full-auto fire rather than rapid semi-auto, especially since those in LE who have access to such weapons almost always outnumber their opponents and have heavy body armor to boot. Under such circumstances, is it really necessary to be able to shoot at a rate of 10-15 rounds per second (even in short bursts) rather than 5-6 rounds per second on semi? (Okay, I can see how the stopping power of a 9mm MP5 is helped by the auto capability.)

I'd also think that liability from stray rounds would be an issue, although I'm not sure how often SWAT teams get punished or successfully sued for anything they do. In any case, I cringe at the thought of police using suppressive fire or "spray & pray" in populated areas.

In any case, I have no real problem with police having auto weapons as long as they're used carefully and responsibly. I do have a problem with the general citizenry not being able to buy new auto weapons. This restriction is a blatant violation of the Second Amendment, which is meant to keep ultimate power in the hands of the general population instead of the government.

I've shot full-auto weapons and don't feel that they're indispensable at all (especially rifles), but these laws are still intended to keep the population under control, and that goes against everything this country was meant to stand for.
Old January 12, 2008, 11:00 PM   #37
SteelCore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriz
We rotate M16/M4s throughout the department. We are trained with them on semi, never auto. They said the auto's are cheaper than the Army's version of the M4 with 3 round bursts, which is why they get auto's. Weird, you'd think auto's were more expensive.
I didn't know 3-round burst models were more expensive than full autos, but if they are, it could be because the trigger mechanism in the burst model is a little more intricate.

There really isn't that much difference between a full-auto M16 and a semi-only AR-15, so I would expect the prices on those to be almost identical.