The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2006, 03:04 PM   #1
38splfan

Time to start reloading.

Okay guys and gals, it's time for me to take the plunge.
I'm getting ready to go ahead and pick up a Lee Anniversary kit and all essentials/prudent upgrades for it.

I'd like to start reloading for 9mm Largo as the first caliber. I've already gathered and read as much reliable reload data as I can find.

I've read that most people use the standard 9x19 dies for it. Since the OAL is different, how would I go about getting the correct OAL using those dies?

I guess to start I'll be a low volume reloader, and gradually increase volume as I get more comfortable (and when I get home from Iraq )

I hope to set myself up with the gear while I'm at home on leave for the next two weeks, then start processing when I get back. (no need to rush it on leave, too many distractions)

I guess, to make a long post short, can anyone give me the skinny on how to successfully and painlessly reload 9mm Largo with the Lee Anniversary Kit (all the budget will offer for a while) and successfully help me figure out the OAL issue?

Thanks to all of you for answering my painfully obvious questions in the past, and I'm sure I'll have plenty more in the future.
Old November 2, 2006, 05:28 PM   #2
KW-Bane

The Lee Anniversary Kit is a good choice to start with, matched up with Lee carbide dies. I still use mine!!
Reloading is rather easy to do, just make sure "safety" is consistantly present at all times.
Find a good manual/book with lots of info that shares others mistakes and successes. Reasearch reloading data from manufacturer's of bullets, powders etc for safe loads in your gun.

Also, the slow approach is not so bad. Rushing or hurrying when reloading is not a good habit.

Low volume is good practice, for quite a few reasons.

For OAL issues...OAL is set by adjusting your bullet seating die. I started with a "dummy load" (no primer or powder) and by seating a little at a time, checking the lenght of the dmy ld till the die was set to give me the correct OAL. (the dummy load is reusable, just push or pull the bullet out if there is not a heavy crimp )
You should have the OAL from the loading data.

I recommend purchasing $20. - $25. digital calipers to measure the OAL.

THANK YOU, for serving and protecting our country!!
Old November 2, 2006, 08:18 PM   #3
CrustyFN

I do the same thing as KW. I will make a dummy round for each different style of bullet and then crimp it. Next time I want to use that type of bullet I run it into the seating die, screw the die down until it touches and you are ready to go. I will check the first one with a caliper to make sure everything is OK. Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are a lot of very knowledgeable reloaders here. Good luck
Old November 3, 2006, 04:52 AM   #4
38splfan

Thanks again.

Thanks guys.
I'm sure there will be lots of questions. I don't have anybody around to teach, so it's gonna be a slow process. Better slow than blind or three-fingered
Thanks for the bit about OAL especially. Knowing that makes the whole deal more clear, especially regarding 9x19 dies and why they work for the 9x23 (Largo) round.

Thanks again.
Old November 3, 2006, 08:53 AM   #5
rwilson452

Suggs for newbie

If your going to be using Lee stuff get "Lee's Modern Reloading"

I would also suggest "The ABC's of Reloading".
Old November 3, 2006, 08:57 AM   #6
rwilson452

Thanks for your service

If your headed "Over there" keep your head down and check six often. I will pray for your safe return.

USNRET