The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 3, 2013, 03:14 PM   #1
Beanie-Bean

Bayou Bullets LSWC -- no smoke!

I am to be loading out the remainder of the 500-count order I got, and will be ordering this stuff by the case on the next purchase.

Bayou Bullets 200 gr. LSWC with the green coating on it didn't smoke at all for me over Winchester 231, and even the starting load I used (5.4 gr.) worked fine.

I'm definitely liking these bullets!
Old November 5, 2013, 02:30 AM   #2
bkhann

I shoot lots of IDPA and USPSA (9000 + rounds per year)

I use Bayau Bullets in 9mm 124 gr, and 45 ACP 230 gr. Never a problem except for my 9mm 3" barrel guns in which I experienced some "tumbling; probably because of the slick coating on the bullet. I think that the bullet was unable to catch enough of the barrel rifling to spin up, thus the tumbling. Never a problem in my 5" barrels in 9mm or my 3" and 5" barrel in 45 ACP.

I like Bayau, very clean and cost effective.
Old November 5, 2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Beanie-Bean

Thanks for the info, bk.

I shoot my matches with a G34, and haven't tried shooting with a G26 or something with a 3" barrel. Good to know about the tumbling, though, and I appreciate that.

My first order from them also included the 124 gr. RN, which I'll load up and test out soon. Their prices are good, and Mr. Donnie called me back the same day when I left voicemail for them.

Haven't put them through any guns with polygonal barrels yet, but judging by what was left behind in the SIG Sauer P220 barrel, I think I'll be OK shooting them through the Glocks and H&Ks.