The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 16, 2011, 05:34 PM   #1
PADefenseTrainer

Looking for Closed Shooting Range in PA

I'm a NRA Certified Firearms Instructor in PA and I'm looking to buy my own gun range.

Does anyone know of a gun range that has gone out of business in Pennsylvania?
Old November 16, 2011, 06:38 PM   #2
Casimer

Indoors or outdoors?

In either case - not many. There was a commercial range near Quakertown that closed a few years ago, after years of problems. IIRC it was an outdoor range and they allowed select-fire weapons at some point. But I can't remember the name ( Twin Pines ?). You could contact Donley's in Quakertown, they'd probably know - http://www.gunrunner1000.com/

The PA Game Commission closed one of their ranges a few years ago in Nockamixon and have been trying to figure out what to do with it. But that was never a commercial range, and it's on state land, so I'm not sure if it would be possible to buy it from them.

As you're probably aware, PA has hundreds of small private ranges set up by various sportsmen's associations and whatnot. They don't tend to go out of business, or close, unless some outside force compels them to. The commercial ranges that I'm aware of are almost all indoors.

You might consider buying one that's still operating. I wouldn't be surprised if you can find a range owner who'd like to retire. Also try the NRA. One of their local reps would probably know what's available in the region.
Old November 16, 2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

A couple of years ago a friend was looking at buying an indoor range somewhere near Langhorne. The owners were looking to retire, and wanted to sell the business and the property. My friend decided against it -- I never heard if another buyer came along.
Old November 17, 2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Johannes_Paulsen

Your tag says "Eastern Pa.", but since you asked about Pennsylvania generally....

The Greater Pittsburgh Gun Club, located in Bulgar, Pa. near the Pittsburgh airport, was closed some years ago due to some serious legal problems the owner had. (It was something really stupid, like drug possession--I do not remember the specific details.)

I do not know the status of the range - who owns it, whether they're willing (or able,) to sell, etc. All I know is that it has been permanently closed since about 2008. I only went there a few times, but it was a decent place to go, and it was reasonably accessible to people like me who lived or worked on the west side of Pittsburgh.
Old November 19, 2011, 03:44 PM   #5
PADefenseTrainer

I actually heard about the one in Pittsburgh. If memory serves it was because the owner sold a bunch of bullets to an undercover ATF agent. I think the drugs got found during the raid.

But that was some years ago. I'd assume someone already took it over. But perhaps not.

All great ideas! Thanks all!
Old November 20, 2011, 08:11 AM   #6
Johannes_Paulsen

No, as far as I know, it is still closed. If it ever actually re-opens, there will doubtless be shouts of joy from the Pittsburgh gun community.

I did some searching this morning, and I believe this article discusses the people who owned it and their convictions:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09021/943227-58.stm

Apparently, the guy who used to own/run it was repeatedly in trouble with the law for a variety of things.

No clue as to the status of the property itself anymore - it could well be in legal limbo as a result of the events of a few years ago.
Old November 20, 2011, 02:27 PM   #7
blume357

Would it not be more practical to buy a range that is still in operation?
Old November 20, 2011, 03:35 PM   #8
boostedtt91

im not sure how far away Easton is from where i live, but the biggest problem for me where i live, is there is no places to shoot furthur than 200 yards. There is only one 1000 yard range, but its soo "corporate" anymore, its not a place you can just go shoot when you want to shoot at. I would love to also open up my own gun club or range that has long range shooting
Old November 20, 2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Johannes_Paulsen

@blume:

Question asked was answered.... I report; you decide.
Old March 21, 2016, 08:50 PM   #10
kevintoll

Looking to purchase a shooting range in PA - closer to Philly the better

Does anyone know of a gun range that would like to sell or has gone out of business in Pennsylvania? The closer to Philadelphia the better
please let me know
Old March 22, 2016, 05:14 AM   #11
Tony Z

PA s a very gun friendly state. Biggest challenges, though, will be local town/city ordinances and liability insurance.

Given the economic conditions in many parts of the state, I would explore using a vacant warehouse style building, and remodeling inside to your needs. Speak to a franchised Realtor that has access to all "multi-lists" through the state of buildings meeting your size criteria, then explore local laws to see if that location would work (don't ignore air quality, ventilation).

In my rural part of PA, outdoor ranges seem to be diminishing, but in-door are holding steady, if not growing.

Tags
business , for sale , gun , range