The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old February 16, 2002, 05:43 PM   #1
SouthernShark

BullsEye Gun, in Jax, Fla., is a bad place.

First, let me say that I have been a member of BullsEye Gun for the past two years and have spent over a thousand dollars there on ammo alone. Hence when I say that it is a bad place, I speak with experience.

BullsEye Gun does not want my business. And it does not want your business either if you own any Comm Block Weapons.

About a year ago they banned 7.62x39mm. Now they have expanded it to include all 7.62mm unless you buy it from them. No other type of ammo is covered. You can bring in .308, 30/06, .223, .45, 10mm, .50AE, but you can not bring in 7.62. I had assumed that this only covered 7.62x39mm but now I find out that any Comm Block 7.62 is banned.

Anyway, so today I walked in with 7.62x25mm for my CZ. I figured that this would be ok since it is pistol ammo (they had rationalized banning 7.62x39mm by claiming that it overpentrated). But no, I was told that I would have to buy their ammo because they had problems with people using ammo that overpenetrated (I figured this was BS but kept my cool at first).

Their ammo turned out to be the EXACT same brand. Once I pointed this out, I was told that I didn't know what the "hell" I was talking about (they cussed at me the customer). Yet both boxes of ammo were clearly identical.

Now this is clear discrimination against people who shoot Comm Block weapons. If I had walked in with a .45 (which is what I usually shoot) then there would have been no questions. But since I was using a CZ, it became an issue.

I spent over a thousand dollars on ammo at that range last year and signed up 7 or 8 yearly members. So I expected to be treated a lot better than that.

Anyway, when the guy told me that I didn't know what the hell I was talking about, I blew my lid. And was then asked to leave for using the "F" word. It is ok for BullsEye employees to cuss at their customers, but if you cuss back you are tossed out.

Here they were shafting me just because I had a Comm Block weapon. That is so wrong. I will never do business with them again and advise other FL members NOT to sign any contract with them.

There are other gun ranges in town, and those ranges treat their customers better. I am not asking anyone to avoid BullsEye because of what happened to me. I am just relating my experience to you before you decide to waste some money on a membership at that range.

Bottom line, BullsEye Gun Sucks

-SS
Old February 16, 2002, 08:08 PM   #2
StarfuryZeta

That the Bullseye on University Blvd that used to be Southside Gun? Didn't know they let long arms in their enclosed range.
Old February 16, 2002, 09:19 PM   #3
Razor

Yep, that's the one SouthernShark is talking about. As far as I know they've always had a rifle range. And their "buy our ammo" rule is the reason I let my own membership lapse awhile ago.
SouthernShark- check out St. John's Sport Shooting Society for a great place to shoot.
Old February 16, 2002, 10:36 PM   #4
SouthernShark

I've heard a lot of good things about that St. Johns range. Its a long ways from my house, but I'm going to have to check it out.

I put up with the "buy our ammo" policy at BullsEye when it was just AK-47s. I have several AK's in other calibers beside 7.62x39mm. I kind of enjoyed going in with the SAR-2 and they never had any ammo for it so they had to let me shoot my own.

But to apply the rule to a CZ52 is just ridiculous. As if a darn pistol is going to shoot through the wall..... What total BS. It just makes me so mad because this rule ONLY applies to Comm Block weapons AFAIK.

I'll never go back there. I spent over a hundred bucks there last Saturday, brought in 7 people, one or two which signed up as members and that place treats me like garbage. I just can't believe how rude they are.

All the manager would say was "bye." He just tossed me out for using a cuss word, AFTER he had cursed at me. I can't believe what trailer trash those people are.

Its no wonder that place is never busy. Even the little gunshop on Beach is a lot busier than BullsEye. BullsEye isn't going to stay in business, you can bet on that.

I will check out St. Johns. From what I have heard it is a good place.

-SS
Old February 16, 2002, 10:52 PM   #5
wb880

I know what you went through

I have been there a few times, and every time I always seem to leave with a bad taste in my mouth. The last time I went they wanted to hold on to my DL while I was there, they said people walked out without paying. I also know how there cusotmer service is, or rather their lack of it. I think I will try out The St John's place. I only have a rem 870, but in a month I'll recive a sig 229 .40 and a pre agreement S&W 686. I can't wait till they are mine. Maybe sometime this spring we could all get together at a friendly range for some shootin fun
Old February 16, 2002, 11:09 PM   #6
Navy joe

When I was down there I think I popped in there. Is that on the east side of town? They had a little two-lane alley for rifles only and then about a 20 spot line where some guy was shooting his Hi-point carbine and an SKS. I got hit by jacket spall from the SKS, the whole range was kinda crappy, dis-repair,poor lighting, etc.

I would almost move to Jax though to go to Gateway Rifle & Pistol Club out off of 103rd. St. I shot a lot there in the month I was stuck down there, nice place, friendly members. I'm so nuts about guns I had a self-storage just for them while I was there. Anyone in that area, go to Gateway!
Old February 16, 2002, 11:50 PM   #7
SouthernShark

wb880-

I'm game for setting aside one Saturday for shooting. My email is in my profile. Let me know a good time.

Navy Joe-

As for Gateway, it is a good range, but I live at Jax Beach so its not a fun drive out there. Plus they have that 1 shot a second rule which I don't like. I'm a real blaster punk at heart and while I can usually control myself every now and then I've just GOT to empty the mag.

-SS
Old February 17, 2002, 12:00 AM   #8
Razor

Quote:
the whole range was kinda crappy, dis-repair, poor lighting, etc.
Boy, you should of seen it BEFORE the renovations
Actually, I am disappointed to hear that Bullseye has gone downhill since I left. When I was going there, I was always treated pretty good by the staff. I guess Gun Gallery on Beach is going to be my backup range from now on.
Old February 17, 2002, 12:14 AM   #9
SouthernShark

I used to be treated well there myself. But since 9/11 brought in a lot of new customers they have gotten really arrogant. I guess now that they are breaking even instead of going bust they can treat people like trash.

Plus they hired some new people who have a combined IQ of 99 (between all of them). It was one of the new people who I had a run in.

I could excuse the range if it were just one employee, but I complained to the management and they backed their guy up so as far as I'm concerned they endorse this sort of behavior.

As for Gun Gallery, I went there today for the first time. Its not a great range, but the staff is friendly. Its either that or drive to St. Johns.

-SS
Old February 17, 2002, 12:16 AM   #10
Navy joe

That rule was never enforced on me at Gateway. Sometimes I try to act like a proper rifleman with my AR, other times I unload. My biggest problem there was watching the light planes coming in to land about 1/2 mi over the berm then looking at a mag full of tracers sitting there. Never did, pilots might not appreciate the light show.
Old February 17, 2002, 12:20 AM   #11
rkc

In fairness, much com block ammo is steel core and will damage steel plates. There is even a chance of a ricochet.
My local indoor range finally had to ban the guns, not specific ammo, because of someone sneaking in offending ammo in range bag. These are legitmate concern. Folks got mad, but it was because of a few bad apples. I saw the pocked backstops
Old February 17, 2002, 03:56 AM   #12
swampgator

Doesn't Gateway host IPSC and IDPA matches? I can't see having a 1 shot a second rule if you have matches for lead hosers.

Also doesn't it a range with a 4 wall berm that you through a tunnel to get too? I've never been there but many of the guys go up there for the IPSC matches.

If you ever get down to Gainesville look us up at Beckwith's.
Also Danny just opened up a range in Palatka.
Old February 17, 2002, 08:52 AM   #13
Bud Helms

Retail Deals & Feedback ...
Old February 17, 2002, 01:57 PM   #14
GSB

Quote:
As for Gun Gallery, I went there today for the first time. Its not a great range, but the staff is friendly.
These guys will treat you right (there are two Gun Galleries in Jax, I believe. I go to the one on Beach & Peach). I've been dealing with them for several years and don't have any complaints. They've never tried to rip me off of run a line of bull on me. Like everyone else in the business, they have opinions, but no moreso than anyone on the forum here. The range is okay for an indoor job -- it'd be better if the gangsta' style shooting morons didn't keep shooting up the target holders, and incompetents didn't on rare occasions drill a hole in the benches and partitions, but that's just par for the course with a range that's open to the public.

It's convenient for me and as a member, it's cheap. I don't buy my ammo or targets there, generally, but I do buy my guns and miscellaneous supplies from them. I could probably shop around and find better prices on some things, but frankly I like having a good relationship with a local dealer.

Last edited by GSB; February 18, 2002 at 08:40 AM.
Old February 17, 2002, 10:58 PM   #15
SouthernShark

GSB-

I agree that the folks at GunGallery seem like good people. They did not insist on tearing open my box ammo. They did not stare at the bullets for 5 minutes. They did not make rude comments. And shockingly they actually acted like they were glad to do business with me.

Since I live just off Beach Blvd, past the Intracoastal I will be going to the same range as you. Perhaps I will see you there some time.

-SS
Old February 18, 2002, 07:52 AM   #16
StarfuryZeta

GG has taken good care of myself and my friends. All the guys there are friendly and full of information (and personal preferences). Mitch is a great guy to deal with. No 50 AEs on the range, but that is just because of how it effects others shooting on the range, not penetration.
Old February 18, 2002, 08:48 AM   #17
GSB

Quote:
No 50 AEs on the range, but that is just because of how it effects others shooting on the range, not penetration.
Oh, I always thought it was a penetration issue. But what you say makes sense. Anyone who has ever tried to shoot a bullseye .22 next to someone shooting a ported magnum in an indoor range knows what you mean. Amazing how fast you can develop a flinch from someone ELSE's gun!
Old February 18, 2002, 06:05 PM   #18
Razor

I was shooting at GG when a guy shot a .50AE. I was about 3 lanes away from him and well, it certainly gets your attention. By the time I peered out to see what kind of pistol the guy was shooting, the staff was already in there reminding him of the restriction.