The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 14, 2013, 12:15 PM   #1
J270

loading a mini 14

Can you load a mini with a full mag, wile the bolt is forward? I want to use this gun for varmint hunting. I am going to be disappointed if I have to have the bolt locked back to load a mag. I don't use a safety because I don't feel comfortable with one in the chamber wile hunting. It wouldn't work well if I had to brush it with the action open, that is a potential for a jam. Any words from mini master would help.

P.s has anybody used the aftermarket hogue stalk
Old December 14, 2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I only used factory 5- or 10- round mags when hunting. I don't recall ever having had any frustrations when loading.

I guess that if a larger mag is used, maybe loading one round less that the max would take care of any such problem.

I traded in and out of Minis, off and on for some twenty years, since they first hit the market. I never felt unsafe with the rifle loaded and on safety. Seemed to me like a very positive system.
Old December 14, 2013, 12:52 PM   #3
Rogervzv

For the Ranch Rifle the bolt is indeed supposed to be back when you insert the magazine. Sorry to disappoint you. Many newcomers to the Mini 14 complain of the difficulty of inserting a magazine because they are unaware that the bolt is supposed to be locked back when you do it.
Old December 14, 2013, 01:40 PM   #4
jmr40

It has been a while since owning a Mini, but I don't recall any problems inserting a mag with the bolt closed. Some rifles and handguns will not work well if the magazine is fully loaded. Loading down by 1 round has always helped if this were an issue.

There is no reason not to have a loaded chamber. You are overthinking that part.

The only rifles that I like Hogue stocks on are the 10-22.
Old December 14, 2013, 05:27 PM   #5
hodaka

I put a Hogue on my Mini-30 and like it a lot.
Old December 14, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
USMCGrunt

Never had a problem putting in a loaded mag with the bolt forward. If it's an issue for you, download by 1-2 rounds.
Old December 15, 2013, 08:54 PM   #7
bamaranger

chambered round

I'm thinking that if you have to crank a round into the chamber when you see a coyote, they will be pretty safe around you.
Old December 16, 2013, 10:10 AM   #8
Rogervzv

Quote:
I'm thinking that if you have to crank a round into the chamber when you see a coyote, they will be pretty safe around you.
Yes.
Old December 18, 2013, 12:08 PM   #9
csmsss

I had an older Mini-14 a number of years ago. Never had a problem loading a full mag, regardless of the bolt position, and regardless of whether a round was chambered (when the bolt was closed, of course). Of course, I must mention that I was using factory Ruger 20 round magazines. The aftermarket magazines available at the time were, to be succinct, junk.
Old December 18, 2013, 02:13 PM   #10
STEINER

You can but I lock the bolt back and then insert the mag.
Makes it a lot smoother as opposed to pushing the mag up, depressing the
spring in the mag. I don't see the need to load the 14 with a magazine while the bolt is closed.
Last shot, bolt stays open. When I am done shooting for the day, I release the bolt and dry fire, then store W/O mag in mag well.
Old December 19, 2013, 02:30 AM   #11
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Take the trigger assembly out and look at it and see how it works-----when the safety is engaged the hammer is physically locked down----its nearly impossible that it would go off-------load it up and use the safety.
-------Metallica
Old December 20, 2013, 07:26 PM   #12
Corrections Cop

For work we load the 20rd magazine with the bolt closed. Then we rack a round in if need be. The rifle is stored with a loaded mag in the rifle with the bolt closed.
Old December 21, 2013, 12:40 AM   #13
ThomasT

The mini is a little hard to load with the 5 round mag and the bolt closed. The stagger of the rounds means the top round is against the high side of the bolt. Thats the best I can describe it. But you can load one less round and its much easier to load the mag.

I just modified my 5 round mags to hold 6 rounds by removing part of the follower. Now when loaded with 5 rounds they go in easier because the top round is on the other side of the mag.

I called ruger about this and they stated it is better to load with the bolt open. The 5 round mags are the only ones that give this problem I believe.
Old December 21, 2013, 02:00 PM   #14
ThomasT

Quote:
I just modified my 5 round mags to hold 6 rounds by removing part of the follower. Now when loaded with 5 rounds they go in easier because the top round is on the other side of the mag.
I told you wrong. It loads best with 4 or 6 rounds. Five rounds hits the bottom of the bolt. Its best if the top round on the mag is on the left side.

To modify the mag take it apart and remove some of the flag on the bottom of the follower. Don't get into the hole where the mag spring goes through the flag on the follower.
Old December 30, 2013, 07:21 AM   #15
Mannlicher

seating a full magazine with the bolt forward, is hit or miss, depending on the individual magazine. Most of my factory mags allow this, but I usually down load to 19, or 28 rounds if I am going to seat the magazine in a rifle for ready use.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old January 1, 2014, 01:49 AM   #16
J270

19, 28 rounds,WOW must be nice not living in CA,but serious thanks for the replies.
Old January 1, 2014, 09:18 AM   #17
Mannlicher

for hunting, Florida mandates a 5 round magazine , unless hunting hogs on private land. Then, you can use those 20 and 30 round magazines. Hunt 'em at night with a light also.
I have never had an issue with seating a full 5 round magazine in my Ranch Rifle.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan