The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 22, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1
bcarver

weight? of AR

I am wondering about the weight of an AR rifle? What are some areas you can shed some pounds. I am just under 6 lbs currently. What would a polymer upper weight compared to a flattop?
Old December 22, 2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Wyosmith

Bushmaster made some a few years back called "Carbon 15s" and they came in under 4 pounds.
At the other end we see heavy prairie dog rifles with 24 inch full bull barrels that weight 14.5 pounds
That's about a 10 pound range from light to heavy.

How heavy is an ar15?
That's like asking how much does a woman weigh.
Old December 22, 2013, 07:05 PM   #3
CTS

Did they make polymer uppers or lowers? I never heard of a polymer upper. Can't imagine a steel bcg riding back and forth on a polymer upper.
Old December 22, 2013, 07:08 PM   #4
CharlieDeltaJuliet

"How heavy is an ar15?
That's like asking how much does a woman weigh."

That's what I was thinking. I have a RRA24" that weighs 9.5# and a plain jane HK that weights over 8#.

I have seen a lot using the Carbon 15's in use.. I personally have never shot one though.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old December 22, 2013, 07:32 PM   #5
Wyosmith

yeah Slappy even the upper was plastic.
Old December 22, 2013, 07:39 PM   #6
MJFlores

I think rather than trying to shave weight, the more important thing to do would be to balance the rifle. My Ruger was a little nose heavy until I replaced the stock, and now it balances nicely and feels lighter. There's not going to be a significant spread in weight so you'll always be between 7 and 8 1/2 lbs.
Old December 22, 2013, 11:52 PM   #7
bcarver

let me explain

What I should have asked is "how light can a AR get?"
I looked at the Carbon 15 on bushmasters page and saw 5.5 lbs. but never had one on a scale.
I used a GWACS lower(polymer) and a 16 inch "pencil style" barrel and I am just under 6 lbs.
A 11 inch barrel with a 5.5 flash suppressor might be lighter and a polymer upper may shave a few ounces.
I also have mid-length hand guards, carbine would be lighter.
What I would like to know is how much do these things take off the weight.
Old December 23, 2013, 01:06 AM   #8
Wyosmith

Here's a link to a page telling us about the old Carbon 15 type 97. They advertized them to be 3.9 pounds

http://gun-review.com/reviews/rating...ewId=109&cat=3
Old December 23, 2013, 08:49 AM   #9
bcarver

thanks

I had seen those type 97 long ago. I think what they sell now is just the "carbon 15". It list at 5.5 lbs. Was the "97" from 1997?
I am gonna look for a poly upper and give it a try.
Old December 23, 2013, 10:14 AM   #10
Skans

I have a Carbon 15 (pistol) with Poly upper and lower. Mine works fine and hasn't broken anything. Every now and then a Wolf steel case will stick a little in the chamber (I mostly shoot Wolf through it). I spray a little oil on the steel stuff. Brass works 100%.

A little history: Professional Ordnance came out with the Carbon 15 pistols to comply with the '94 AW ban. One of the more obscure provisions was that handguns couldn't weigh more than a specified amount. This was to discourage production of "Assault Pistols", like the Sites Spectre, AR pistols and other semi-auto version of sub-guns. So, Professional Ordnance figured out how to make an AR pistol light enough to comply with the ban.
Old December 23, 2013, 12:53 PM   #11
bcarver

pistol weight

I never heard that about the pistol weight. Steel ammo is crap. I try not to buy any but it is tempting due to cost.
I found some reports that say the weight difference is 3 ounces in the upper.
My gwacs lower is 10 ounces lighter. I think I am as light as I am gonna get it. Not that it couldn't be lighter but any further gains will not be worth the trouble and cost. I am gonna cut the front sight off. I looked at some other "shaved" gas blocks but the cost of a new sight is only 35 bucks if I every want to convert it back.
Old December 23, 2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Skans

Quote:
Steel ammo is crap. I try not to buy any but it is tempting due to cost.
Depends on the gun. It works great in my AC556, and obviously in my AK as well. The cases do tend to stick in my Carbon 15, and another AR build I did. But, if I squirt a little oil on the cases, keep the chamber clean and not rapid fire, the steel stuff is about 95%. In other words, "good enough".
Old December 23, 2013, 06:29 PM   #13
tobnpr

Seems that much of it's gotta be barrel, get the stamp and make it an SBR
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old December 23, 2013, 07:20 PM   #14
bcarver

to harsh

Maybe I was too harsh with the adjective.
What I should have said was "don't blame the gun when you use ammo it was not designed to shoot."
Steel does not expand and contract as brass.
Short barrel would be cool but then you loose velocity. I was wanting a light gun that I will carry in the pursuit of hogs on foot over rough terrain. At the end of the day that extra weight is annoying.
Old December 23, 2013, 07:24 PM   #15
bcarver

complete

I removed the front sight and added the burris fastfire. The weapon tipped the scale at 5 lbs 15.4 ounces.
Old December 24, 2013, 11:27 AM   #16
Metal god

Quote:
The cases do tend to stick in my Carbon 15, and another AR build I did. But, if I squirt a little oil on the cases, keep the chamber clean and not rapid fire, the steel stuff is about 95%. In other words, "good enough".
I'm sorry but that just cracks me up . There are firearms I own that keeping the chamber very clean , lubing the cases , counting one-one thousand between shots and the rifle still only working 95% of the time IS NOT good enough . That would be any AR or HD/SD firearms .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 24, 2013, 12:09 PM   #17
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I was wanting a light gun that I will carry in the pursuit of hogs on foot over rough terrain.
If that's the case, why are you choosing an AR? I didn't see any mention of caliber, but if you are talking the usual .223/5.56mm I wouldn't think it to be a good hog gun, particularly in rough terrain where shots are likely to be fast, and at short range.

Now, if you are talking about a .458 Socom or a .50 Beowulf, that's a different matter, and trust me, those guns, as light as can be done, will kick, most noticeably.
Old December 24, 2013, 05:04 PM   #18
Ritz

There's no way I'd shoot a hog with a .223. Unless you've got ideal conditions or are an expert shot hitting a moving target, I would hate to be confronted with an angry gut shot hog that's got another couple of minutes to maul before he bleeds out. Not nearly enough muzzle energy with .223 for this job.

I'd be more inclined to get a cheap lever gun in 45-70 or a hot loaded pistol caliber.

Best,
Old December 24, 2013, 05:18 PM   #19
totalloser

I have a buddy who decided to go for hog with his mini-14. He got one, but it was messy. He decided no more .223 with hog. But that was only the beginning of the story. When he butchered it he found 3 (THREE!) 30 caliber bullets in the clavicles. Two on one, one on the other.

As to weight, I got an SU-16 and it cured me of wanting a plastic rifle. AT ALL.

Last edited by totalloser; December 24, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old December 25, 2013, 08:09 AM   #20
Ritz

@TL:

Agreed. Best case is that it's messy and not very humane. Worst case is that you wind up with a wounded animal that's a danger to yourself and others. .223 is definitely the wrong tool for this job.

Best,
Old December 25, 2013, 01:16 PM   #21
44 AMP
Staff

Just FYI

My aging, fallible memory tells me that the Army told us our M16A1 was 7.8lbs. It was very light. (compared to the 9lb M1 Garand, it was), but can remember clearly how heavy that rifle felt on my shoulder at the end of a day of drill practice or a road march.

One thing I noticed, some time ago, look at the pictures from WWII. Other than posed photos, or in combat or movement, the butt of almost everyone's rifle is on the ground.

I mention the weight of the M16A1, only as something to judge against...
Old December 25, 2013, 05:31 PM   #22
tgreening

@44 AMP: 6.8 lbs unloaded. 7.2 lbs with the web sling.
Old December 25, 2013, 10:21 PM   #23
Ritz

Re: weight

Just bought a Bushmaster Carbon-15 for my very petite wife. It's a flat top with red dot optic sight. They claim it's 5.5lbs. So I would imagine that's about as light as it's going to get for an AR in 5.56mm.
Old December 25, 2013, 11:18 PM   #24
Ben Towe

The Carbon 15s are very light, even with a scope. I have a forged DTI rifle and it's like carrying around a chunk of lead compared to the Carbon 15.
Old December 26, 2013, 12:39 AM   #25
bcarver

hogs

My personal experience with hogs is they run at the sight, sound or scent of humans.